P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I was wondering if you did. :)
Fingers crossed for the test.
Caper
Test complete and passed, filter manifold fixed with expoxy. I also used a dremel cut off wheel to open the gap along the crack to get more contact area, ..like a bevel grind on a welding job. Would be nice to find some clear for your windshield, but if you had a piece of triggershield rubber big enought to hide it, it might work.

D06DF892 7E7C 44E6 9E94 12C056082887

Last edited:
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Test complete and passed, filter manifold fixed with expoxy. I also used a dremel cut off wheel to open the gap along the crack to get more contact area, ..like a bevel grind on a welding job. Would be nice to find some clear for your windshield, but if you had a piece of triggershield rubber big enought to hide it, it might work.

View attachment 125764
I’ve seen guys welding plastic. And you can get little kits. But I’m not sure that would work. But if you beveled like steel, someone might be able to. Hum.
I’ve been looking at it and it looks lit the screw are being pushed inwards. The hinge is pre assembled with a lock but, so it should be set.
I measured just above the hinge, from bar to bar, and got 38 5/8. In between.
It’s almost like there isn’t enough room for it, and it’s too much pressure on the poly.
I’m usually good at figuring that stuff out, that’s how I made my living. But this one is stumping me.
I’m going to Honda tomorrow and measure the width in between. It’s gotta be something not right. :)
Caper

Reactions: rtn001
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I’m curious what the measurement is , right above the top hinge, in between the two poles of the roll cage. For the Honda tip out hard coat windshield.
Mine is 38 5/8 .
@ToomanJohn said he had exactly 39”.
So if a few people with that windshield could take the measurement, and let me know what it is.
I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Went to Honda today. Talked to the owner. He’s as baffled as me. Hasn’t heard of any other ones cracking. He wants me to take it in tomorrow morning and he’s going to put his best guy on it. Hopefully he’ll find something I missed. :)
Caper

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
@Mudder , got a question for you.
In this picture, does it look like the hole for the hinge screws are off centre. It looks like the screw is pushing up against the poly.
My clamps are tight, not sure how that is happening. Honda checked it two years ago and said it was good.

I was thinking, if they say that’s the reason, I’ll take my Drumell with a drum sander on it and make the hole big enough not to touch the screw. What do you think.
:)
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
E6E3C1EF 07A5 4930 9393 D8B56FC03809
08587203 BDD0 44CE AABC 401A22C5A53F
@Mudder , got a question for you.
In this picture, does it look like the hole for the hinge screws are off centre. It looks like the screw is pushing up against the poly.
My clamps are tight, not sure how that is happening. Honda checked it two years ago and said it was good.

I was thinking, if they say that’s the reason, I’ll take my Drumell with a drum sander on it and make the hole big enough not to touch the screw. What do you think.
:)
Caper
Mudder. :)
Caper

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Holes look misplaced to me too. I would enlarge the holes for more free play. Easy on the grinder/rasp rotary bit. Does look like squeeze stress between the two holes. And as you know, don’t overtighten, maybe put some lub under rubber washers. Good luck. Ps., my full shield is wrapped up and put away for summer, sorry for no measurements.

Reactions: rtn001 and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Holes look misplaced to me too. I would enlarge the holes for more free play. Easy on the grinder/rasp rotary bit. Does look like squeeze stress between the two holes. And as you know, don’t overtighten, maybe put some lub under rubber washers. Good luck. Ps., my full shield is wrapped up and put away for summer, sorry for no measurements.
Thanks Mudder. I knew you put your half on.
It’s funny there wouldn’t be something like a grommet in there to protect the poly from the screw.
The owner at the Honda dealer said he was going to put his best guy on it tomorrow at no charge. If he figures out why it’s off centre and can fix it, I don’t mind paying. I’ll see if he fixes it first. :)
But if not, I’ll just oval it out a bit to keep the screw off the poly.
Either way, hopefully it’s fixed tomorrow. :)
Thanks for the feedback Mudder

Caper

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
advertisement
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Mudder. I knew you put your half on.
It’s funny there wouldn’t be something like a grommet in there to protect the poly from the screw.
The owner at the Honda dealer said he was going to put his best guy on it tomorrow at no charge. If he figures out why it’s off centre and can fix it, I don’t mind paying. I’ll see if he fixes it first. :)
But if not, I’ll just oval it out a bit to keep the screw off the poly.
Either way, hopefully it’s fixed tomorrow. :)
Thanks for the feedback Mudder

Caper
I think I’ve figured out why the holes are off centre. There is a 3/8” difference between my roll bars and ToolmanJohn’s . So that explains everything. How do I fix that. Almost need a ram to spread them.
See what they say tomorrow. :)
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
719CC224 6638 418A A41C 9F85826AEE13
@Mudder . All they said was tighten the clamps as tight as I can get them.
I did that and took the screws out of the hinge. It has a metal sleeve for the bolt, and a rubber grommet that sandwiches the glass. So the bolt doesn’t come anywhere the glass. And the hole in the poly is already oval.Dont know now how it cracked.
It’s funny because Honda said the tension on the clamps was good 1 1/2 years ago.
I knew they wouldn’t do anything, but I was hoping.
So taking it apart, I did manage to move the bracket a bit.
Fingers crossed.
Caper

B

Bullseye

Feb 5, 2016
Indiana
I sold it! Been wanting to say that here for the 2 1/2 months it took to sell it :).. Didn't seem to be much of a market for them in this area. Everyone wants bigger, power steering and a dump bed. Seriously though it was a good machine and served me well, just needed a smoother ride, ain't getting any younger. Think I'll go take a ride in my wolverine x2 and wind the rubber band up o_O.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!