P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Took the P5 to the national forest to help pack out an elk. Hit the icy road from hell. In 4wd the pickup started sliding backwards with the trailer/P5 behind. Jackknifed to the left.

75a55aa8849c63222b49b9ca839bef32

Managed to unhook it, brought in a bigger pickup. It started up the road, same thing happened, only this time to the right. Thank God it stopped.

08721a6c7bbdb5ca8323ef36c39b92cf

Put chains on larger pickup, turned around and towed it down the hill. Lesson learned- use chains.

Drove the P5 in 5 miles, hiked down 2 miles to elk, packed elk up 2 miles in 10 degree weather at 10pm. Got it out.

Be careful, guys. I’m lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took the P5 to the national forest to help pack out an elk. Hit the icy road from hell. In 4wd the pickup started sliding backwards with the trailer/P5 behind. Jackknifed to the left.

View attachment 163475

Managed to unhook it, brought in a bigger pickup. It started up the road, same thing happened, only this time to the right. Thank God it stopped.

View attachment 163476

Put chains on larger pickup, turned around and towed it down the hill. Lesson learned- use chains.

Drove the P5 in 5 miles, hiked down 2 miles to elk, packed elk up 2 miles in 10 degree weather at 10pm. Got it out.

Yikes. Sounds like someone better have had a change of undies with them. Glad it all worked out alright in the end.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 163475

View attachment 163476

You have good taste in trailers. I have the same one. :)

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
May be just use traction cables on a trailer? Faster , easier to put on.

Im strongly considering buying two axeles 7*14 enclosed trailer with brakes and turn it into toyhauler.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I was praying out loud as the Tundra was sliding backwards while 4 wheels were turning forwards.

8x10 Big Tex. Well built.

Outstanding

Yes he does have good taste. I have a Big Tex also. I think it is the same model to.

The "Big Tex" is well built, maybe overbuilt as far as the rear ramp. The dang thing was so heavy that my wife had trouble lifting it. I even had to grunt a little myself. I got a pair of short aluminum ramps and ditched it. Suprisingly, I get better gas mileage without it. I guess that ramp is a bigger wind catcher than I realized.

advertisement
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I have no problem lifting the Big Tex ramp- maybe your springs were not tight?

Lesson learned was to put chains on front tires in 4wd next time. Or park lower and drive P5 which had no problems on that ice.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I have no problem lifting the Big Tex ramp- maybe your springs were not tight?

Lesson learned was to put chains on front tires in 4wd next time. Or park lower and drive P5 which had no problems on that ice.

Mine has no spring assist on it. Only rich elk hunters can afford that option. :rolleyes:

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I was praying out loud as the Tundra was sliding backwards while 4 wheels were turning forwards.

8x10 Big Tex. Well built.
I dang sure ain't no rich elk hunter, never hunted a elk but I have a ramp lift assist on mine. It's heavy or it could be I'm just old and lazy. LMAO My bed is only 5' x 10' which was dumb on my part. Can't open the door but about 6 inches, the side rail is too high. It wasn't on my son's so I didn't even think about it when I bought it. I just load it with the door open and tow it bungee open on short trips and squeeze out for long trips. It's still a better built trailer than either of my son's, heaver to.

Nope. Mine is a 5x10
Mine has no spring assist on it. Only rich elk hunters can afford that option. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dp5hunter
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm sorry guys, left you without my attention for a while, sending you a small update . Hunting with my dad now. Have not done any updates to my P500 .
View attachment 163352

Whoooa wicked job Buddy, especially with your Dad! How cool is that...enjoy, nice game harvest too.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Congratulations! Great hunting with your Dad. As a Dad who hunts with a grown son myself- keep it up and push him on physical conditioning off season.

Back to the P5- can you show how you did the hitch to the game cart? Great idea.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Congratulations! Great hunting with your Dad. As a Dad who hunts with a grown son myself- keep it up and push him on physical conditioning off season.

Back to the P5- can you show how you did the hitch to the game cart? Great idea

x2 (no Wolvy) on both :D

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Back to the P5- can you show how you did the hitch to the game cart? Great idea.

This was just quick fix with a rope to a bumper. We borrowed the cart . I'm getting cart hopefully in the next week or two and I have a good idea how to connect it to the hitch. Stay tuned! :) Thank you for the question!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!