BOX1

P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Why you selling the p5? Just time for something different? Seems like a lot of 700's in your vids...so maybe a low geared 700 is the key.
I am leaning towards a P7 for sure, but who knows, I kinda like the Arctic Cat 700 trails, and the 1000s also. I dont see a lot of custom P7s so I was thinking my portals are meant for 700s anyway, so if I picked one up I would already have portals and 35s. I can picture a P7-4 cut and chopped to look like a P7-2 with portals, 35s, slot in the front windshield like mud trucks, etc.. Ive been studying parts lists online for the P7 and P5 diffs and I think maybe gear swaps might be possible for the P7 using P5 gears in the P7 diff cases to give the P7 a low end pull. I have to study it further though. I think everybody that has studied the P5 and P7 diffs was wondering if the P7 locker can fit in the P5 diff case. I dont think anybody studied swapping gears for a lower gear ratio in the P7. I got more studying to do though.

M

mikear

Oct 18, 2019
Ok
Ownership

1. 500
I installed a front light bar and rear work lights this week/weekend. While I was at it, I ran 6ga wire from the battery to a new fuse block under the hood. Now if (let’s be honest, when) I add a winch, the wiring and circuit breaker are already under the hood. I also have room for more accessory circuits with the new fuse panel.

13624a9c7b2313171314e7df0209cb7b
13a6a38ee80015b877fc6976e112ed0c
E56038c2dd91f302f6973aca4eb87887
670786b1b00248df1a33d27493fe96cf95bac269f4ed0f5716fcc42233b942c3 670786b1b00248df1a33d27493fe96cf

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am leaning towards a P7 for sure, but who knows, I kinda like the Arctic Cat 700 trails, and the 1000s also. I dont see a lot of custom P7s so I was thinking my portals are meant for 700s anyway, so if I picked one up I would already have portals and 35s. I can picture a P7-4 cut and chopped to look like a P7-2 with portals, 35s, slot in the front windshield like mud trucks, etc.. Ive been studying parts lists online for the P7 and P5 diffs and I think maybe gear swaps might be possible for the P7 using P5 gears in the P7 diff cases to give the P7 a low end pull. I have to study it further though. I think everybody that has studied the P5 and P7 diffs was wondering if the P7 locker can fit in the P5 diff case. I dont think anybody studied swapping gears for a lower gear ratio in the P7. I got more studying to do though.
The gear thing is a question we've been wondering about for a while. It'd be nice to have an answer.
It looks like the locker extension for the 700 would simply bolt on, but it's an expensive gamble to take unless you've got used parts cheap.
Another thing: the 700 has the rear speed sensor on the diff unlike the 500. Where is the tone wheel? On the gears? If that's the case, does the 500 gearset have one for no reason? A lot of questions...

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The gear thing is a question we've been wondering about for a while. It'd be nice to have an answer.
It looks like the locker extension for the 700 would simply bolt on, but it's an expensive gamble to take unless you've got used parts cheap.
Another thing: the 700 has the rear speed sensor on the diff unlike the 500. Where is the tone wheel? On the gears? If that's the case, does the 500 gearset have one for no reason? A lot of questions...
Good point about the speed sensor. That could be the one thing that makes it not possible.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I did a front end alignment using the old 'angle iron across the front wheels to square them up' method. C-channel is better, but I dont know what I did with my long piece that Ive used in the past. Oh well, it worked. Trying to convert it back to my little 30s a bit at a time.

20191111 131335

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Took the P5 up into the mountains to elk hunt. 3 1/2 hour hike back (seemed uphill in both directions). Got back to Honda at 9:00pm.

Snowed on, temps dropped to 20. First time I ever said “thank God I didn’t shoot something”- we wouldn’t have gotten back to 2am.

The point- the Honda started right up and got us out.

19c06150c74c6c77bcd0921c19a54ff7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Took the P5 up into the mountains to elk hunt. 3 1/2 hour hike back (seemed uphill in both directions). Got back to Honda at 9:00pm.

Snowed on, temps dropped to 20. First time I ever said “thank God I didn’t shoot something”- we wouldn’t have gotten back to 2am.

The point- the Honda started right up and got us out.

View attachment 165470

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome...which is why we run a P500, verdad?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Members come and go around here, some get the information they want and are never seen again. Some just lurk in the shadows to see what others are doing. Some post up and share what they've done to their machine because they're proud of it and want others to see it. Some build things that others couldn't imagine doing. And then there's the one's with a passion for this machine that help others build their's into something they couldn't imagine or see for themselves. Tell them what works and what doesn't from experience and walks them through the nuts and bolts to create something that's one of a kind.
Won't get into specifics and don't want to start a storm but the P500 family took a major hit today and lost one of its Godfathers. Nothing tragic like death or taking ill but tipped his hat and walked out the door. One of its great innovators and arguably the best. Pushed the P5's ability and look to places others couldn't think of. Relentlessly hounded aftermarket companies until they finally caved and gave us a component that entirely changed the capabilities of this little Honda.
He's been someone I've talked to regularly for nearly 4 years, even talked me into going to my first Takeover just so we could finally meet face to face. He was my partner in crime around here and inspired me and others to create something that's one of a kind. Hope he decides to return someday as he'll surely be missed by all who own a P5.
Ride on Joe and thanks for everything @Chooglin .

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Members come and go around here, some get the information they want and are never seen again. Some just lurk in the shadows to see what others are doing. Some post up and share what they've done to their machine because they're proud of it and want others to see it. Some build things that others couldn't imagine doing. And then there's the one's with a passion for this machine that help others build their's into something they couldn't imagine or see for themselves. Tell them what works and what doesn't from experience and walks them through the nuts and bolts to create something that's one of a kind.
Won't get into specifics and don't want to start a storm but the P500 family took a major hit today and lost one of its Godfathers. Nothing tragic like death or taking ill but tipped his hat and walked out the door. One of its great innovators and arguably the best. Pushed the P5's ability and look to places others couldn't think of. Relentlessly hounded aftermarket companies until they finally caved and gave us a component that entirely changed the capabilities of this little Honda.
He's been someone I've talked to regularly for nearly 4 years, even talked me into going to my first Takeover just so we could finally meet face to face. He was my partner in crime around here and inspired me and others to create something that's one of a kind. Hope he decides to return someday as he'll surely be missed by all who own a P5.
Well said Brother.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Amen on that. That Chogbox on my P500 is on of my most important add ons when I first purchased my machine (the Avenger) I will miss hem dearly and so will many others that now have better machines bicous of this grate person @Chooglin.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Say it ain't so! Well said Trigger. Love my box. Every member that drops out is missed some like Choolin more than others. Wishing him well.

C

Chooglin

Wow @trigger what can I say, you are a awesome dude.

I have totally enjoyed being a member here, learning from others and contributing to this forum.
As of late, I have been feeling a little uncomfortable in here ,so it's time for me to exit. I will poke my head in every now and then just to see what's up, just not on a regular basis.

The biggest thing I have gained from the time I have spent here, are some great friendship's....... Thank God I dont need to acquire a patent for that, nobody can take them from me!

Love you all
Chooglin

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Wow @trigger what can I say, you are a awesome dude.

I have totally enjoyed being a member here, learning from others and contributing to this forum.
As of late, I have been feeling a little uncomfortable in here ,so it's time for me to exit. I will poke my head in every now and then just to see what's up, just not on a regular basis.

The biggest thing I have gained from the time I have spent here, are some great friendship's....... Thank God I dont need to acquire a patent for that, nobody can take them from me!

Love you all
Chooglin
Gonna miss ya,brother.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Sad news.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Well said all, Chooglin will be missed, but remembered every time his contributions are put to use on my rides. Hell, I even get a chuckle time to time when I see a postal truck drive by. Just hope his website stays up so I can check for new products and direct others there.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!