P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Every forum has to have one of these threads!!! Any new mods/maintenance/repairs/rides/wrecks (God forbid) you want to share? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's @ehart814 ? Haven't seen him in awhile. Hope everything's okay? 🤔

D

driller

Feb 19, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 520
Shouldn't be this easy...

TempImageJpg9qE

TempImagecyWUDj

TempImagevLbck3

Not that I can't put it in place with the tow vehicle, even on the blind side against the retaining wall.

But using the 520 just makes it so much better. ;)

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
2 inch <>Front & Rear Receivers <>ARE Definately <> PRACTICAL & VERSATILE

Winch Use Ft.& Rear
Removeable BUMPERS
Most 2in. Receiver <>Automotive Accessories can be used
Bike Rack
Hitch Basket ( Ft./ Rear or Both )
Load Extender
Virtacle Extentions <> Ft & Rear <> for long Loads Above the Roof
Many more Options

Pictures of a few:

Vertical Ft. Winch Storage
Remove the bumper put in the Winch Ft. or Rear
Store the bumper in vertical 2in. receiver.

2 of P500's have Dual 2in. Receiver in Rear and ( Retains & Reinforces the Honda Rear OEM Receiver )
Trailer ball combo use with <> Winch <> Bumper <> Hitch Basket
Not enough room for Dual 2in Receiver Combo on the P520 & still tilt the bed. ( Bumper is attached to bed frame & tilts with bed )

All <> home mfg.

20220814 173611 20220529 140538 20220507 093755 20220507 094002 20201114 111608 20201114 111452 20220507 094020 20220529 140412

Last edited:
D

driller

Feb 19, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 520
Love it! Is that a custom hitch or is it available somewhere? I am tired of using a hand dolly to move my trailer around.
It is a KFI receiver bolted to an EMP winch mount on the factory front bumper. The ball mount hitch was sourced from etrailer dot com as I had to get an extended drop hitch due to the mounting height of the receiver.

The open car hauler trailer I move around is an 7000 pound, 18 foot deck with dovetail and ramps. I think it's empty weight is around 1,800 pounds, well beyond the recommended towing capacity of the P520.

I have learned when moving it around on a grade that I should use a couple hundred pounds of ballast in the bed. It needs it to hold the load with the e-brake and if you push or pull uphill or on a binding turn. I parked in my inclined driveway once and when I got out to place the wheel chocks for the trailer, I noticed the whole train slowly inching down hill. I thought maybe I didn't set the e-brake good enough but that wasn't the problem. The rear wheels were slowly sliding due to lack of traction with the weight of the trailer on the front.

But moving trailers with a front mount was one of the reasons I justified the cost of the P520, so I'm quite pleased it does it so well. :)

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
It is a KFI receiver bolted to an EMP winch mount on the factory front bumper. The ball mount hitch was sourced from etrailer dot com as I had to get an extended drop hitch due to the mounting height of the receiver.

The open car hauler trailer I move around is an 7000 pound, 18 foot deck with dovetail and ramps. I think it's empty weight is around 1,800 pounds, well beyond the recommended towing capacity of the P520.

I have learned when moving it around on a grade that I should use a couple hundred pounds of ballast in the bed. It needs it to hold the load with the e-brake and if you push or pull uphill or on a binding turn. I parked in my inclined driveway once and when I got out to place the wheel chocks for the trailer, I noticed the whole train slowly inching down hill. I thought maybe I didn't set the e-brake good enough but that wasn't the problem. The rear wheels were slowly sliding due to lack of traction with the weight of the trailer on the front.

But moving trailers with a front mount was one of the reasons I justified the cost of the P520, so I'm quite pleased it does it so well. :)

Thank you for the information. I only have about 4 or 5 inches of clearance on each side, between my house and storage shed to weasel my trailer into. It is difficult and requires a lot of excess grunting on my part with the trailer dolly. Should be a piece of cake with a hitch on front of the P5.
Gate
Trailer 1 Trailer 2

advertisement
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
The P5 is a different kind of animal, for sure. Maneuverable, able and agile. Would love for the P5 guys and girls to rise up and make our presence felt on this forum in a larger way going forward. The P1 guys have the numbers and the voices here; it is what it is.

Any other P5 folks willing to make a bigger splash here?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The P5 is a different kind of animal, for sure. Maneuverable, able and agile. Would love for the P5 guys and girls to rise up and make our presence felt on this forum in a larger way going forward. The P1 guys have the numbers and the voices here; it is what it is.

For what it's worth from a P1 owner, I would have a P52 right now if they would have had a dump bed back in 16. Another Honda screw up. I would still like to have a P52. But will have to look once all this BS is over. All you P5-52, I never look down my nose at you, Nobody cares what you ride, just ride and enjoy the outdoors. And be safe!

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

It's always been that way around here. The 700 threads don't see a whole lot of activity either and kind of why we've joined in a non official way. We'll never have the numbers of the P1 owners but most show the respect that these entry level machines deserve. Those that may look down their nose have just never ridden with one. Get into the really tight stuff and we own them. The P5's also dominate in reliability, no other Honda in the lineup is as bulletproof.
Been representing for a long time in this pool. Doesn't happen often but when they start making sport of splashing the little guys, I'll drop a cannon ball pic of a P5.

happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Well, yesterday I had to replace the battery. Went with the OEM. But here are the other mods I have made since it's purchase in 2019. Honda soft top/doors, folding wind screen added a wiper. Rear view/sideview mirrors,battery voltage monitor, reverse switch deletion, overhead gun rack,2nd battery, SuperATV 3500 winch, Honda brush guard, driving light ( I found on road in front of my house!), Craftsman tool box, Harbor Freight storage rack, Sunf A033 26" tires.

13975459 1327463110612047 8706470326747836823 o IMG 1311 IMG 1312 IMG 1313 IMG 1314

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
It's always been that way around here. The 700 threads don't see a whole lot of activity either and kind of why we've joined in a non official way. We'll never have the numbers of the P1 owners but most show the respect that these entry level machines deserve. Those that may look down their nose have just never ridden with one. Get into the really tight stuff and we own them. The P5's also dominate in reliability, no other Honda in the lineup is as bulletproof.
Been representing for a long time in this pool. Doesn't happen often but when they start making sport of splashing the little guys, I'll drop a cannon ball pic of a P5.
For me, it was about size, not cost.

Had Honda built a SxS the size of the 500/520 with a 1,000cc engine (or 700cc), I would have purchased that, lol
I just needed something smaller than the P1 or P7.

Mike

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!