What did you do to/with your Talon today?

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Ground isolator will help but slightly reduces output. Making sure that no signal wiring crosses power wires will help as well. Placing them in loom and separating best you can if they do have to cross.
I ended up moving the power and ground for the sound bar from direct to battery to the same source as the controller and grounded to the same bus. That got rid of most of the whine. I read that grounding to two different spots could be part of the problem. A ground isolator cleared it completely.

01Canes

Mar 12, 2023
North Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Took a boring little ride today to work her out a bit, it's been a couple weeks sadly🙄
20230620 180101

Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
I got parts for my oil cooler install - I have the Jackson Turbo and like the idea of additional oil cooling for the turbo. Anyone on the forum ever use the Hess oil cooler ?
The hard part for me will be mounting the cooler so it gets cool air ( it has it's own fan that will use an oil temp switch to energize) and it is protected from damage. I do mainly sand riding so cooling is important.
I am curious on everyone's thoughts, since I didnt find anyone else thats done it already.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
UB 500

UB 500

Jan 16, 2022
MD
Ownership

1. Talon R
Upgraded the kicks from factory 28s to 32s last week. Tried them out… should have done it a long time ago for the ride. I miss the lower gearing of the 28s on hill decents but I’ll get used to. And then gave the ole boy a good bath and shine. I love this freakin thing! 😍 Still lots to do when the budget allows.
View attachment 392052View attachment 392053View attachment 392054
Well the ride has come in! I need to unload this R to get the Live Valve I wanted a year ago. Anyone interested in a ‘22 hit me up! I’m in the 21536 aka Western MD

• Love
Reactions: Backwoods and CID
Sledder

Sledder

May 8, 2022
Washington Stat
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
So I was looking on line and noticed an ad for a gauge relocation pod on Ebay. I ordered it and when I opened it there was the 3D printed pod that was pretty crude. That was it, no instructions or anything else. I then got on line and the first video I saw was TerryH from this site with a real kit. I knew I had made an error by ordering this. I took the wire loom out did the mods and started putting it back in. As soon as I went to bolt down the pod to the single bolt it cracked. I then bolted it to the plastic and then bolted the plastic down to the steering column.

The pod has a spot for the Live Valve gauge and no matter where I ran the wires it was a little short. I then had to move the big plug that snaps over a metal tab that's welded to the frame (I had to make a new tab).

I also had to make a cover for where the gauge was in the first place. I got out the lathe and made some aluminum stand offs and welded them to a piece of 16 gauge aluminum. That took me almost 2 hours to build. If I need to add switches and such to the Talon I'll take it out and add them.

I also ended up sanding the pod down in some spots so it didn't look home made. I obviously should had come to this site and searched out the gauge relocation kit.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My 30x10x15 BFG KM3 UTV tires got here this afternoon. I got the two rears mounted. I didn't like the black beadlock rings so I rattle canned them to brighten things up a bit. No powder coat, they're going to get all scratched up again anyway.

The 30" KM3's are 1-1/4" taller than the 30" BFG K02's I just took off (both unmounted, free standing). Curious, that much difference from the same mfr.

ETA: I had been a light truck tire fan boi for awhile - I mount my own tires and want to do that as infrequently as possible, so a high mileage tire was important to me ... and I'm cheap. After wearing out the stock tires, I bought the Chicane RX UTV tire (before I became a LT fan boi). I only got 5700 miles on 6 of them, 2 fronts, 4 rears.

Having read that HondaBob was getting 10k on his Terrabites, I wanted more but some of the TBs don't play well with beadlocks, so they're out. About that time, site members were trying the BFG K02 All Terrains, so I jumped. I got 5500 miles on 4 of them, until I hit a rock and cut the sidewall on a front tire. Bummer - that left me with one good tire, the 2 rears were done. Projecting that out, I would have replaced the 2 rears (keeping the half done fronts) and gotten 11k miles out of 6 tires.

But there was a demon lurking - when I was considering having my shocks revalved by Weller Racing, they were dismissive of running LT tires on a SxS because they rode too harshly. Knowing that, I started to pay more attention, and, sure enough, they did ride harshly. :confused:

Enter the BFG KM3 UTV specific Mud Terrain (clearly stamped non DOT). The DOT KM3 is highly rated, at least by Rory of Trail Mater and I like BFG because they've been supporting off road racing for many decades. So I jumped, again.

Today was the break-in test ride and within a few hundred yards, I knew that they didn't ride as bad as the K02. :) And this was with 5 pounds more air pressure than I usually run - 14F, 15R (Talon spec is 16 lbs). My next ride will be with 9F, 10R.

So, short version - I'm no longer a LT tire on a SxS fan, they ride like a dump truck; BFG K02 to be specific. It's no wonder, the K02 is designed for a 6k lb. truck, not a 2000 lb. Talon. U picks yer poison. I have no idea what the mileage will be on the KM3 but I'll let all y'all know when I do. :cool:

One thing fer shur, @Todd627 was right, it's a whole sh!t tonne faster.
x.gif

The K02's -

The KM3's -

😍

Before -

After - 😍

Dirty already - :confused:

Last edited:
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
My 30x10x15 BFG KM3 UTV tires got here this afternoon. I got the two rears mounted. I didn't like the black beadlock rings so I rattle canned them to brighten things up a bit. No powder coat, they're going to get all scratched up again anyway.

The 30" KM3's are 1-1/4" taller than the 30" BFG K02's I just took off (both unmounted, free standing). Curious, that much difference from the same mfr.

😍
View attachment 398254

Before -
View attachment 398255
Gonna be even faster now with the red bead rings 👍 They look good @CID!!!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Unsprung weight and rotating mass in one step. 👍 Water jet access - priceless. 😍

Yes sir.

I also ordered wheels that are 3lbs lighter each. I'm thinking removing 14lbs of rotating mass is going to be huge.

And then there are these.....

Screenshot 20230803 015543 Samsung Internet

I haven't pulled the trigger on ordering a set yet but knowing what I know about ceramic bearings from our circle track racing days they would definitely help.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks like you are going all out on that Samurai. You have a thread on it?

That's my buddies, and that thing is nuts! There is a mini trophy truck chassis hiding under the body and it's 4W IFS using a pair of modified Ford 8.8 TTB axles. Its also Volkswagen TDI powered.

He has a build thread posted on Irate4x4 with some pictures but he doesn't update it much.

Sledder

Sledder

May 8, 2022
Washington Stat
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
I installed a curved light bar today. I was going to make a new aluminum roof and incorporate the light bar into it but when I looked at the curved light bar it lined up perfectly with the curve of the stock roof.
To keep from drilling a bunch of holes in the roof I modified the mounts and welded some 3/8s" aluminum to it so I could use the mounts that holds the roof on.

I had to make a bend in the mounts because if the they were straight they ended up in the middle of the roof mount bolts. Made some rocker switch holes in the panel I made when the gauge was moved.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I installed a curved light bar today. I was going to make a new aluminum roof and incorporate the light bar into it but when I looked at the curved light bar it lined up perfectly with the curve of the stock roof.
To keep from drilling a bunch of holes in the roof I modified the mounts and welded some 3/8s" aluminum to it so I could use the mounts that holds the roof on.

I had to make a bend in the mounts because if the they were straight they ended up in the middle of the roof mount bolts. Made some rocker switch holes in the panel I made when the gauge was moved.
Looks great, @Sledder.

I ordered the Tusk V2 LED Light Bar Kit 40" Curved that came with the roof mount brackets for the Talon.

Based on the pictures, it looks like they reuse the two OEM roof bolts (one on each side) plus another one you have to drill for. Hard to tell, so I guess I will see how they work when they get here!

You can actually buy just the brackets (~$27 a set) and use any 40" light bar.

Reactions: Blownzuki

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!