What did you do to/with your Talon today?

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Being a Nevadan like yourself, I avoid mud at all costs! The stuff we has up here doesn't just wash off, even with a pressure washer!

Love the buttered English muffin analogy!

Did you ride Nevada, if so where?

Rand
I was out at Smith Creek dry lake by Austin on 722. Unfortunately it did not stay dry. I was supposed to leave Monday and finally got out on Thursday. Shades of Burning Man. Yeah, that clay stuff sucks.
20230831 185714

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Being a Nevadan like yourself, I avoid mud at all costs! The stuff we has up here doesn't just wash off, even with a pressure washer!

Love the buttered English muffin analogy!

Did you ride Nevada, if so where?

Rand
Not sure exactly where but check out his photos in post 254 above. :eek:

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was out at Smith Creek dry lake by Austin on 722. Unfortunately it did not stay dry. I was supposed to leave Monday and finally got out on Thursday. Shades of Burning Man. Yeah, that clay stuff sucks.View attachment 402268
I know it's probably not the ideal conditions you were expecting but that right there looks like fun!!! I'd have been doing doughnuts and tearing it up like no tomorrow 🙂😂😂😂

Some of us ride mud cause that's all we gots 🤷‍♂️......if it ain't wet it ain't as fun!!! 😂😂😂

NoMo!

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I know it's probably not the ideal conditions you were expecting but that right there looks like fun!!! I'd have been doing doughnuts and tearing it up like no tomorrow 🙂😂😂😂

Some of us ride mud cause that's all we gots 🤷‍♂️......if it ain't wet it ain't as fun!!! 😂😂😂

NoMo!
I feel bad when I leave as many tracks as I did.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I feel bad when I leave as many tracks as I did.
I tracked up a campsite trying to get the RV level, felt bad about it and took the rake back over my tracks. The desert surface is a bio-ecozone and takes a looooong time to recover but when I was back in the area a year later, I could hardly see the damage I had done previously. Back east, there's so much greenery that it grows right back over but the desert landscape is much more fragile and takes forever to recover.

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I tracked up a campsite trying to get the RV level, felt bad about it and took the rake back over my tracks. The desert surface is a bio-ecozone and takes a looooong time to recover but when I was back in the area a year later, I could hardly see the damage I had done previously. Back east, there's so much greenery that it grows right back over but the desert landscape is much more fragile and takes forever to recover.
True. I'll end up going back out with the blade on my quad to try and smooth it out. We left one time after a rain storm and our tracks showed up in Google Earth several years later.

advertisement
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Hallefreakinlujah! Turns out the clip groove wasn't as clean as I thought it was. A little quality time with a pick and bam! Slipped right in. Now to try and remember where all the nuts, bolts, and push pins go. Oh, and install the new SATV skid plates. They are burly!
20230926 180030

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Completed the 100-mile initial maintenance service on the 2023 Talon 1000R2 Fox Live Valve today (that plus a little more R&R).

- Engine/DCT oil and filters - Stuck with Honda GN4 10W-30 for right now. I'll give it until the 1,200 mile/200 hour maintenance interval before switching over to full synthetic - probably Honda HP4S
- Front and rear differentials - drained and filled with Mobil 1 full synthetic 75W-140
- Sub-transmission - drained and filled with Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W-30

The only thing I didn't like was the front differential only had ~10 ounces of gear oil in it from the factory. I did get the full ~13.4 ounces back into the diff, so it looks like Honda just didn't fill it all the way.

R&R the back half of the Trail Armor full skid plate set I just installed to get at everything. I don't mind the extra work to keep things nice and clean.

Appreciate the 411 from @Remington and @Mopower58 earlier today.

Reactions: Remington
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Relocated Guage Cluster on my '19. Installed Ricochet Skids and trailing arm guards. Sent Info File to PPEI, starting to install Baja Designs Headlights. Nearing finishing up for MOM this weekend.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Completed the 100-mile initial maintenance service on the 2023 Talon 1000R2 Fox Live Valve today (that plus a little more R&R).
A 100 miles?!?! Dude ...

The only thing I didn't like was the front differential only had ~10 ounces of gear oil in it from the factory. I did get the full ~13.4 ounces back into the diff, so it looks like Honda just didn't fill it all the way.
Both of my Talons (one was stolen from the dealer while in for maintenance) were delivered with low sub trans levels, missing 1/3 of capacity. :mad: I say this to warn others, check your fluid levels ASAP.

R&R the back half of the Trail Armor full skid plate set I just installed to get at everything. I don't mind the extra work to keep things nice and clean.

It's a dirt 'bike', it's supposed to be dirty. I don't have the energy to pull my skid for routine maintenance.
ogy.gif
I learned on my first dirt bike (55 years ago) that keeping it clean was an exercise in futility. You do you and I'll do me. 👍 NTTAWWT

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I've spent what little free time I've had farkling, @CID. Some of us still have to *work* :( Leaving tomorrow for MOM23, though :)

By 'keeping things nice and clean' I mean my garage floor. I don't want the oil to get all up under the skid plate, then drip on the floor for the next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I've spent what little free time I've had farkling, @CID. Some of us still have to *work* :( Leaving tomorrow for MOM23, though :)

By 'keeping things nice and clean' I mean my garage floor. I don't want the oil to get all up under the skid plate, then drip on the floor for the next week.
Same here.....pull the rear skid to change the oil

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Aha, that I understand. One thing I would have done with the Trail Armor skid plate is enlarge the oil drain opening before I mounted it, it's too narrow to turn a wrench effectively. I tried to do that with the skid in place but that's some tough plastic and laughed at whatever tool I tried to use.

For those unwilling (or lazy like me) to pull the skid, I'd leave a piece of cardboard underneath the small drip zone until I could go for a ride.

Most of my oil changes have been done at campsites (literally), so there's that. :) Drips on the floor never entered my mind.
I tPGbwd2 X2

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Installed double shear brackets on the rear of Green Machine

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I was losing air slowly in 3 of 4 tires so today was pull the rings, clean out the dirt, and retorque. What a pain! The one in the photo wasnt even the worst one. The machine came with beadlocks; I don't know if I'd get them again. And a new sticker.
20231006 161428
20231006 161433
20231006 142519

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio and Smittyp
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!