P500 What do you see as the competitor products for the P500?

R

RockHopper

Aug 29, 2016
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Serious Question, Seeking open minded and honest responses! (So not "nothing. it's a Honda" :))

I'm looking for a smaller side by side for family recreation riding. As per my other thread, me and my 4 year old in the SxS, her older sister & my wife on our quad. No trail restrictions where I ride but 50"(ish) machines make a lot of sense for the narrower trails and ease of getting a trailer to haul two machines.

The P500 is very attractive & a strong contender. The more trail recreational machines - Wildcat Trail & RZR are more expensive & I'm not sure I need that type of machine. (Although they look way cool). Realistic alternative I'm considering is the 2017 Artic Cat Prowler 500. Seems like a similar type of vehicle to the P500 - a bit wider at 56", but a bit more space, front diff lock etc. Of course its not a Honda & has a belt to break. I have a good AC dealer relatively near by. (Better rep than the local Honda dealer). Polaris Ranger ETX/570 is another choice but local dealer is terrible. Beyond that we're into bigger utlity sport SxS's that don't really suit - Yamaha, CanAm etc.

So the direct competitor to the P500 in my mind is the AC Prowler 500 and the smaller Ranger. Wildcat Trail & RZR can meet our requirements (other than cost) but are not direct competitors. CF Moto? Probably not going there.

Reactions: moparornocar
J

JTW

The only thing I would consider would be a Yamaha rhino.. There's nothing else in the size, with the quality, that I liked... The rhino is noisy and doesn't have a bench seat and is a touch wider than I'd like.. But otherwise a damn good machine. It has more power and a front locker.. I expect several other small sxs that aren't just trail bikes in the future.. But as of right now the little Honda seems to be about it. I'm not a Polaris fan so that wasn't ever an option really.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've had good luck with my Polaris and after nearly seven years and 5k miles, I've not had to do a brake job or replace a belt. Nothing mechanically has failed on it. One replacement battery and I carry it to the dealer for all its scheduled maintenance.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No go on the cf moto yet. I say yet because yet because although they are a pretty cool machine with a ton if standard features, they are still really small in terms of dealer networks and parts availability. Honestly where your family is considered, I picked my Honda because getting stuck 50-75 Miles away from my tow vehicle at all times of day and night in all kinds of weather is not an option for me. I trust my Honda. As far as a dealer. Never needed one except when I bought it and first service.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
WOLVERINE
no doubt....
56"wide
but my p5 is
that with 2"spacers
....I've rode one...&
would consider getting
one....
I don't go by make......except PoPo
if ya hadn't looked at one...do so

Img 1

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
PoPo suck
there are those you
say.....there great
blah...blah...blah
but look how many
are for sale?
THERE'S A FRICKING PROBLEM
....YEP EVERY ONCE IN
AWHILE....THE SUN DOES
SHINE ON A DOGS ASS

J

JTW

WOLVERINE
no doubt....
56"wide
but my p5 is
that with 2"spacers
....I've rode one...&
would consider getting
one....
I don't go by make......except PoPo
if ya hadn't looked at one...do so

View attachment 21821
I like them but they seem a lot bigger and I don't think they have a bench seat. I certainly like the power though!

C

Chooglin

I like them but they seem a lot bigger and I don't think they have a bench seat. I certainly like the power though!
Ya , there not in the same class as a P500 ,pretty sure they are in the 60" size (60.6").

I like the small size of the p500 !!!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Are you set on buying new? Do you tend to keep your toys, or trade them in every year or two? If you intend to hang on to it for a long time, Honda is the choice. If you want to spend as little as possible, a used Rhino is hard to beat. I don't trust Arctic Cat much more than Polaris, but that being said I ride with a guy that has one of those prowlers - I think it is a 500. He's had it a couple years and he has had good luck with it. It seems like a decent machine. However, read the AC forums... Kinda scary. If you buy a Polaris, you will replace a lot of parts. I have spent a lot of time working on them, and the quality is just not there. I love the Pioneer 500 and have never regretted purchasing it.

Reactions: JTW

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had both the P500 and the Wolverine.
The Wolverine is over 60" and is not in the same class IMO.
Two completely different machines and purposes for use from my personal use and experience owning both.
I believe the P500 has a niche no one else has - just a matter of whether it "fits you."
The P500 has gotta be one of the most reliable side by sides ever built along with the P700 and the Rhino.
Jury is still out on the Wolverine as Yamaha subbed out the engine to Fuji when they jumped from the 686 to the 708.
There has already been a few recalls on them.

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I agree with @rocmar , if I hadn't bought a P500 , this is the one I would have bought !
They have the best belt/clutch system out there.
I'm curious why you would have bought a Wolverine over a Honda 700/1000 if staying with the 50" machine wouldn't have mattered??

J

JTW

I agree with @rocmar , if I hadn't bought a P500 , this is the one I would have bought !
They have the best belt/clutch system out there.
I agree with you! I like the smaller machine though!

J

JTW

Two completely different machines and purposes for use from my personal use and experience owning both.
I believe the P500 has a niche no one else has - just a matter of whether it "fits you."
The P500 has gotta be one of the most reliable side by sides ever built along with the P700 and the Rhino.
Jury is still out on the Wolverine as Yamaha subbed out the engine to Fuji when they jumped from the 686 to the 708.
Well said! You're having had both makes me feel better about my upcoming purchase! Regardless of how much research and knowing what I want from a machine.. I still hate to think I should have bought this or that one instead.

C

Chooglin

I'm curious why you would have bought a Wolverine over a Honda 700/1000 if staying with the 50" machine wouldn't have mattered??
I really like the cab and the style (sportier) of the wolverine. I think the reliability of the yamaha is right up there with Honda !

Reactions: JTW and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
60.6"
WIDE

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I disagree
.6" longer = much larger?

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Actually to me...felt less
tippy...has close to same
look...has alot of nice
things...
I rode one for a whole
day...awhile back...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Don't get the Wolverine R
mixed up...with just the
Wolverine. ..there's other
Models...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Img 1
Pioneer500 2

Reactions: Jbird

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!