What makes it Different?

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I know the Pioneer has a closed diff and a little more suspension travel.... But other than that and the 4 seater option (which I LOVE), what makes it different than the Big Red?

If it is a more capable trail/off-road machine, is it only because of the above mentioned changes?

I wasn't a fan of the Big Red at all. What are the 'Benefits' of this machine vs. the Big Red?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
The dimensions are different also, the Pioneer is not as wide and a bit shorter. Also the engine has less vibration due to having rubber mounts.
The Pioneer comes with a digital dash and glove box door where on the BigRed, those were options.
Might be a few other things that I can't think of right now.

RacerX400600

RacerX400600

Jun 22, 2013
The Pioneer is also lighter. Even the P4 is lighter than the Big Red. So power to weight is better, resulting in better acceleration. It also has a higher top speed. 45 instead of 40.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
How 'bout this? For those of you who have experience with the Poineer AND either the Rhino or Ranger.... Will the Pioneer go anywhere that the other two will? Is it just as capable a machine off road as the other two models?

I have been wanting to purchase a side by side for years. I am ready to buy one now. I really want the Honda. I am a 'Honda Man' for sure. I have a '09 Rubicon that I LOVE! Just want to be sure that I'll be able to ride the mountains of East Kentucky in the Pioneer as well or hopefully better than my buddies in their Rhinos and Rangers!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The Pioneer is way better then the BR. Not only in looks and suspension but many other factors as well. The independent, rubber mounted sub frame of the engine makes for a smoother ride. The redesign of the frame and positive rear end make for a awesome machine while maintaining size. You cant find a shorter wheel based 4 seat sxs on the market. It incorporates a new controller that auto chooses between aggressive mode and sport leisure mode for when you just want to cruse around. 4x4 with true diff lock will get you out of most any situation. Not to mention the 2 rear seats of the P4.

As far as capability. It surprised me this past weekend. After seeing a Yamaha running 28's get stuck this weekend I was afraid to try the same hole but when I did the Pioneer tackled it like a small puddle.

The Pioneer will follow any other unmodified SxS anywhere. However, if you are wanting speed. You should look else where as it tops out at 45'ish. But if you want to pull a loaded wagon down the trail, the family around the farm, or a Polaris back to the truck the Pioneer is your only choice.

They all have there fun factor and all differ in ways. You will have a blast no matter what you choose. Overall, you have to make the decision on your own. It was a hard choice for me and I am glad I chose to go with the Pioneer.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Thanks for the reply hondasxs. I was able to ride my grandparents M-2 last weekend. Mainly just around the hay fields tho. I didn't get to tackle any mud or hills. It has plenty of speed for me. I have grown out of the sport quad stage (well, for the most part). I will mainly use the new machine to hunt and trail ride at a slow pace with my buddies and family. One guy I ride with has an 800 Ranger and the other has a 700 Rhino. They both climb really well and get around good in the woods. I want the Honda. No doubt it will be more reliable. Just wanted to make sure it will be as capable on the trail.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Also, how does this controller that chooses between sport and leisure mode work? What does it 'control'? Was this absent on the BR?

J

jspike91

Oct 29, 2013
NC
www.2faroffroad.com
It basically uses the on board computer to detect your riding situation and will change the way the transmission shifts. If you are hard on the throttle or hill climbing, it will hold the lower gear longer. If you are just cruising around a pasture, it will up-shift sooner to increase fuel economy. I believe it reads the throttle position in reference to your ground speed to decide when to shift to be sure you are always in the power range you need.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Cool! Thanks for the info.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!