What to expect?

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having ridden Royal Blue only once, and never in a group, are the trail rides organized, very loosely organized etc?

The group i off road with put on several organized events a year with trail leaders, and pretty organized runs. We organized it by degree of difficulty and vehicle capability.

So how is the Takeover??

What trails can a stock Pioneer run vs what trails need a minimum of extra equipment, say a winch, larger tires etc?

By the time takeover gets here, I will have a skid plate installed. Already have winch. Rest is factory tires, suspension etc. Dragons back?

Reactions: Firemedic530
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Don't ask me.
2 years ago I told a guy he would be fine with a stock P1k.
At the event he burned a clutch while pulling out some idiot who thought crossing the grand canyon in a p500 was a good idea.
(apparently p500's lose there invincibility when the wheels are no longer touching the ground, who knew)
FYI, bone stock P500

I think Dragons back is more an operator experience/skill/wallet type of thing.
Fortunately there are plenty of areas to ride that are more suitable for wheeled vehicles.
There are some semi organised rides and a lot of small groups that just form up and ride off.
Haven't heard of anyone being left in the wilderness. (yet)

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last year I was running about what you described. Stock except skids, winch and light bars. I had no problems any where we went. Last year I knew no one when I arrived and just went out with whatever group was leaving and had a great time and met a lot of different members. Eventually I figured out which groups were serious about trail riding and which were sight seeing.
When the time gets closer, if you reach out with what you want, I'm sure there will be a group to jump into.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having ridden Royal Blue only once, and never in a group, are the trail rides organized, very loosely organized etc?

The group i off road with put on several organized events a year with trail leaders, and pretty organized runs. We organized it by degree of difficulty and vehicle capability.

So how is the Takeover??

What trails can a stock Pioneer run vs what trails need a minimum of extra equipment, say a winch, larger tires etc?

By the time takeover gets here, I will have a skid plate installed. Already have winch. Rest is factory tires, suspension etc. Dragons back?
Just show up, run what ya brung!
Hopefully our swap thread takes off and you can have pretty new/used stuff sitting there waiting for your arrival.
No one will leave you behind, no one will bat an eye at lending you spare parts on the side of the trail. And chances are, no one will let you work on your own machine. If something breaks, give a holler to your group, and watch some of our clubs top wrench turners descend on your machine with determination to get you back up and running before a can of liquid refreshment can be consumed.

Edit, for the most fun, try and ride with people with the same machine, 500 w/500, 700 w/700, 1000 w/1000. That way you will have the most spare parts available!

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honestly anything up there can be rode on your stock rig. Dragons back and bottom of Widows Maker you’d have to be a little careful without skids but I wouldn’t personally do the creek ride without skids. As far as terrain there anything you’re comfortable going on your machine would be able too and like said there’s a great group there that are eager to assist.
Tires, you can get around on anything really but watch the sidewalls on lighter plys, it’s mainly the sharp rocks that tear or pinch.
Go have fun and don’t sweat the small stuff so much, you’ll really enjoy the people they are the best!

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys! Really looking forward to it. Wife and I have some extreme hardcore crawling experience but kinda got burned out for awhile. The P1000 has kinda rekindled that desire but at the same time, allowing us to cover more ground comfortably for sightseeing etc.

We will probably sight see the first day or two and go hardcore last day or so.

This project is truly "snowballing". We have made some life long friends at these type of events!

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Lightbar for night excursions even a cheap Auxbeam off amazon will work in a pinch. The list I was given was spare axle, tie rod and plenty of liquid refreshment. I won't make it this year but next year I plan on taking a 110qt RTIC cooler of meat to grill every night and 2-4 cans of gas.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have rock lights, LED spots, floods, cooler, gas, and tie rod spares. Should have a spare axle by then for the front.
You will be fine.
I recently ran overland with some guys here. If I was the only guy with stock arms and shocks.
I have a bracket lift and 28" terrabites. Until I departed ways with them Sunday morning, I winched where they winched, went where they went etc. These things are tough out of the box.

J

JTW

Basically what they've all said is right on... skids and winch are really the only things that I think someone should most certainly have. A better ply tire and additional lights would be next. If you’ve been in the off-road world then you know how it snowballs from there. Just find a group and go with it. You might look at the Lifetime trail maps app if you’d like to have a gps trail map. That would be the only other thing I’d really suggest seriously looking at. My first year I was on a pretty stock PK5.. I had lights and full skids and winch. I did widowmaker and dragons back, no problem. I learned a lot about what direction I wanted to take my build from that ride.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just don't be shy. Everyone is willing to go with anyone. Just introduce yourself and go from there. The group I ride with will be straight forward about the terrain were looking for and give fair warning that you probably will lose a fender or 2!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just don't be shy. Everyone is willing to go with anyone. Just introduce yourself and go from there. The group I ride with will be straight forward about the terrain were looking for and give fair warning that you probably will lose a fender or 2!
Severity of damage is directly proportional to amount of beverages consumed.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
(apparently p500's lose there invincibility when the wheels are no longer touching the ground, who knew)

Make that some P5's...:D

The Mud Wall

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!