Whats the best winch out there for the Honda Pioneer?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ll look for a picture of it but I don’t have it. The cable was going towards the driver side and down so it got caught in the driver side vertical roller near the bottom where there is a plastic bushings. It cut the bushing out and pitched the cable.

Reactions: Biteme and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ll look for a picture of it but I don’t have it. The cable was going towards the driver side and down so it got caught in the driver side vertical roller near the bottom where there is a plastic bushings. It cut the bushing out and pitched the cable.
I’ve had my steel cable slip down between the roller and pinch the cable and fray it. It would have done a lot more damage to the synthetic rope if that it happened. I was using a warn 4000 pound winch with their roller fairlead supplied with it.
I dont know how you tear up so much stuff. Look at this....like, how do you get it wrapped into where the bushing was. That's really putting forth some effort. I know I dont get in near as many precarious places but I'm still impressed with how you manage to break stuff.

I also use a snow plow so that rules out the hause fairlead right away.
2909b249d11dbc6ecac209893702191d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have the 700.
I had the dealer put the winch on when I bought it.
The dealer uses Warn and I asked for the 4500#.
When I picked it up they had installed the 3500# Warn.
He insisted that the 3500 was all I would need and if it ever fails to pull me out he will install the 4500 at no charge.
I had him put it in writing, and got the owners (of the dealership) signature.

I've used the winch about 2 dozen times and it's done great.

djracer

djracer

Jun 2, 2017
Wetumpka, Al.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Badlands 5000 on my P1000 and it has been flawless so far! I have a buddie who killed a warn and replaced it with a Badlands 3500 on a 900 crew cab rzr.
I wish I had pictures but my badlands 5000 got a work out yesterday. I only had to use it to pull myself out once But I also pulled out a Jeep Cherokee and a 900 rzr on 37 inch BKT's. My buddy has a 900 crew on 32's and went through the hole I got stuck in. The long wheel base was a plus on this hole. I got stuck then the 900 rzr on 37 Bkt's then a rzr 1000 on 40 bkt's.

Jiggs

Jiggs

Sep 11, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want to put together a winch buyers guide for the Honda Pioneer models. To do this I need some real world input that specs on paper will not give. Some winches cost $700+ while others cost $200 and pack just as much punch. Then there is the $100 disposable models, anyone had luck with them?

Some things I would like to know.
  • What Pioneer do you have? 500, 700 or 1000
  • What winch would you suggest and why?
  • and what which is the best value out there for your Pioneer?
Leave comments below.
Thanks.

Best Winch for your Honda Pioneer!
View attachment 83354
I went with a Superatv 4500

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Had a superwinch but it broke on my first trip out. Threaded nut in the bottom stripped and the winch twisted causing catastrophic damange. Superwinch wanted me to ship it to them (on my dime) to see if the warranty would cover it or not.. decided not to spend that $50 and not purchase another winch from superwinch.

I bought a core unit from warn, which was just the winch with not cable, solenoid, wiriring, etc.. been good so far.

If i was to do it again.. it would be the badlands 5000lb winch.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Anyone else throw out the thermal fuses and rely on a separate switched circuit breaker like me? Had thermals go out and never come back, rather just reset the breaker manually.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone else throw out the thermal fuses and rely on a separate switched circuit breaker like me? Had thermals go out and never come back, rather just reset the breaker manually.
I'm putting a breaker on my winch since @ohannacreek told me how much amps they draw

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I went with a Superatv 4500

How you liking your superatv winch? How’s it holding up? I’m in the process of getting my superatv 3500 black ops installed now. Got the KFI mount on an the winch bolted down. Just got to get it wired up next. Trying decided exactly where I want my solenoid mounted. Trying to decide between way up under on the firewall where the 12v outlet plugs in or come up to the next level on the firewall. Or I could fasten it down on the main tube across under the hood. It looks great on there though! Gonna look even better once I switch the rope out to orange rope I bought. Will use the rope it came with as a spare or extra in a recovery situation.

80B48E50 7763 4BCA B5E4 A2CBD398AA47 C8A11A86 673E 41B3 8207 2D0EB476B9F4

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What size wire do they come with? Looks like only 4 or 6 guage

Winch manufacturers use a different duty cycle based on a winch not being a100% duty cycle so they can use a smaller wire.

Which IS reasonable, to an extent. I still put 2ga on mine.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Winch manufacturers use a different duty cycle based on a winch not being a100% duty cycle so they can use a smaller wire.

Which IS reasonable, to an extent. I still put 2ga on mine.

My superatv came with 8ga. Two six foot sections. I’m using 4ga. 8ga May have been ok but I don’t think must these winch manufacturers are taking into account the application. ATV vs UTV install. Should include proper gage wire and length for same.

Jiggs

Jiggs

Sep 11, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How you liking your superatv winch? How’s it holding up? I’m in the process of getting my superatv 3500 black ops installed now. Got the KFI mount on an the winch bolted down. Just got to get it wired up next. Trying decided exactly where I want my solenoid mounted. Trying to decide between way up under on the firewall where the 12v outlet plugs in or come up to the next level on the firewall. Or I could fasten it down on the main tube across under the hood. It looks great on there though! Gonna look even better once I switch the rope out to orange rope I bought. Will use the rope it came with as a spare or extra in a recovery situation.

View attachment 88424 View attachment 88425
I Love it! I had to pull line twice so far, both in some sticky New Mexico mud. My 4500 black ops came with a wireless remote, once out of the deep stuff I got out and left the P1000 idling and it pulled nice and smooth.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I Love it! I had to pull line twice so far, both in some sticky New Mexico mud. My 4500 black ops came with a wireless remote, once out of the deep stuff I got out and left the P1000 idling and it pulled nice and smooth.

That’s good to hear. Got mine bolted down just have to wire soon as I get a chance. It looks good on there. I couldn’t find a ton of real world reviews on the superatv black ops I think they are only a year or two maybe 3 yrs old haven’t been on the market long. Glad yours is working good for you!

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone look at these lately? Thoughts ?

View attachment 89151 View attachment 89152

There as good as any winch out there. Especially when you factor in the price. Lots of folks on here use them. From my understanding though their weak link it’s the solenoid and the wiring. The solenoid is the old style (the newer ones have four legs that take a bolt and nut where as the “older” ones just have the two tabs off the side) also the newer I believe are sealed better against water mud etc then the wiring is to short. All winches comes with to short of wire for these side x sides/UTV. Some have made it work. But you need longer wires and thus a bigger gage wire. When increases the length the gage of the wire goes up as well. Over all they are a good winch.

Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
There as good as any winch out there. Especially when you factor in the price. Lots of folks on here use them. From my understanding though their weak link it’s the solenoid and the wiring. The solenoid is the old style (the newer ones have four legs that take a bolt and nut where as the “older” ones just have the two tabs off the side) also the newer I believe are sealed better against water mud etc then the wiring is to short. All winches comes with to short of wire for these side x sides/UTV. Some have made it work. But you need longer wires and thus a bigger gage wire. When increases the length the gage of the wire goes up as well. Over all they are a good winch.
Thank you
What’s the consensus on the rating 1500# or more ?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!