Whats the best winch out there for the Honda Pioneer?

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
From what Ive read so far, I take it that most have put their winch on as an add-on after getting their toy? So, for someone like me who's going to buy ours this weekend, dont get it at time of purchase, buy elsewhere & install yerself?

I'm sure it would save you money installing yourself if you want to do it. It's not very hard.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
From what Ive read so far, I take it that most have put their winch on as an add-on after getting their toy? So, for someone like me who's going to buy ours this weekend, dont get it at time of purchase, buy elsewhere & install yerself?
You will save a lot of money on both the cost of the winch and the installation by doing it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@swampsnake hit up the members map, find another member local to you. Most guys around here will walk you thru an install. Honda directions make it look a lot worse than it really is. We have a decent size group of members in Florida, someone should be within a 30 min drive from you.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I mounted the Superwinch LT4000 ATV SR (Synthetic Rope) on a Strong-Made bumper on my 500. First real test was at Takeover when hi-centered in a large mud puddle, worked great getting out. Personally I like synthetic, but I also like to keep it clean (I pulled all the rope off the spool when I got back home from Takeover, rinsed it off, let it dry and re-spooled) may not need to do this, but it can't hurt.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I mounted the Superwinch LT4000 ATV SR (Synthetic Rope) on a Strong-Made bumper on my 500. First real test was at Takeover when hi-centered in a large mud puddle, worked great getting out. Personally I like synthetic, but I also like to keep it clean (I pulled all the rope off the spool when I got back home from Takeover, rinsed it off, let it dry and re-spooled) may not need to do this, but it can't hurt.

I did that also but then looked it up. You actually should fill a bucket with water and dip your synthetic rope in while pushing the rope together to rinse out between the fibers and get the sand and grit out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

swampsnake

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2017
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you all so much for your input! That makes my decision..lol the other questions are.. are ya ready? I know everyone's waiting in anticipation.. do I need the factory wire harness? &.. Ive seen, Warn, kfi, badlands, terra.. ( prolly others too) so..who is the winner?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thank you all so much for your input! That makes my decision..lol the other questions are.. are ya ready? I know everyone's waiting in anticipation.. do I need the factory wire harness? &.. Ive seen, Warn, kfi, badlands, terra.. ( prolly others too) so..who is the winner?
No on factory wire harness.
Most all name brand winches come with everything you need. Outside a few posi-taps and standard wire connectors as you will want to shorten the wires some for a cleaner look.
Have you picked your winch mount yet?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No on factory wire harness.
Most all name brand winches come with everything you need. Outside a few posi-taps and standard wire connectors as you will want to shorten the wires some for a cleaner look.
Have you picked your winch mount yet?

Shorter wires also help with voltage drop to the winch at high amp draws, most of the winches have 2-3 times the wire needed for a Pioneer 1000. Lower voltage drops means the winch “works” better. Most come with 10-15’ of 6ga wire between battery and winch total
2EEA66CA 9D34 432E 83C4 60854B70097A
4FDFA1B2 3114 4740 A3B8 75E8FA151D2C
1FE83BE8 F81B 467C 8165 CDBE9F872DDE
F2D18BC2 E965 48E5 9EEB F72482233231
0436A7A2 0D50 4915 8FDD 1AC16516BBFD
9A87C9C1 2074 4DD6 AAF1 662789494659

This is how my front winch is setup, I have 4’ of 2ga cable
67D7DCE4 F62A 486A 8F90 3AE3B4ECC510

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Got the KFI Stealth 4500 with synthetic rope put on a couple of weeks ago. Had to pull myself out of the mud the first 10 minutes I was on the trail on the first trip. It payed for itself right there. We’ll see how it holds up.

Well. I found out that I cracked my bottom roller on my fairlead. I have been emailing pictures back and forth for the last couple of days and now have a new roller and bolt on its way tomorrow. I hope the last part of this works out. Yes I know that I should be using a hause and that may be something that I invest in in the near future.

Reactions: Biteme and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well. I found out that I cracked my bottom roller on my fairlead. I have been emailing pictures back and forth for the last couple of days and now have a new roller and bolt on its way tomorrow. I hope the last part of this works out. Yes I know that I should be using a hause and that may be something that I invest in in the near future.

I really don't like the hawse and it is not required by any means. I feel like rollers cause less wear.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I really don't like the hawse and it is not required by any means. I feel like rollers cause less wear.

I like it also but I did see the point someone made that the rope could slip between the rollers and snag. We will see.

Reactions: Biteme and BWAF
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I like it also but I did see the point someone made that the rope could slip between the rollers and snag. We will see.

I have physically tried to make that happen and have never succeeded. I think it's urban legend.

I’ve had my steel cable slip down between the roller and pinch the cable and fray it. It would have done a lot more damage to the synthetic rope if that it happened. I was using a warn 4000 pound winch with their roller fairlead supplied with it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!