BOX1

P500 Which accessories first?

CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
We just bought a Pioneer 500.
We are absolute noobies to UTVing-ATVing etc.
As winter comes to Central Oregon we're trying to figure out which accessory is the best to buy as we can't buy em all now. We'd like to ride some this winter.
What's the first thing to buy?
Roof?
WIndshield? What does the tilt out windshield do?
Full cab cover for front, doors, roof, back....to help with the winter cold?

I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered, and I am searching past posts. But would love your thoughts on what is the most important accessory at this point in the year.

Thanks.
CM

Reactions: 100Acre
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
welcome to the Club @CMFox !! windshield and roof as I am sure you get a lot of rain in your area. the tilt out is nice for summer use to let some air thru.

Reactions: p500fan
scottp500

scottp500

Jun 24, 2015
With winter coming on I would get roof, windshield, WINCH and plow.

Reactions: jay dawge
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
We just bought a Pioneer 500.
We are absolute noobies to UTVing-ATVing etc.
As winter comes to Central Oregon we're trying to figure out which accessory is the best to buy as we can't buy em all now. We'd like to ride some this winter.
What's the first thing to buy?
Roof?
WIndshield? What does the tilt out windshield do?
Full cab cover for front, doors, roof, back....to help with the winter cold?

I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered, and I am searching past posts. But would love your thoughts on what is the most important accessory at this point in the year.

Thanks.
CM
Roof tilt out windshield and tires

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I drive my 500 every day in cold pa with just a roof and a windshield and I stay warm enough. The best thing about the tilt windshield is when it's open it keeps the cab from sucking in dust and leaves.

RODNUT

RODNUT

May 16, 2015
What moose said plus a good insulated coverall. Tires are a must, 26in. radials do a lot for this little ride!

CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
Okay a roof and a windshield. But which ones....? We are on the dry desert side of Oregon. We'll get more cold and wind, then wet and rain. In doing the research......a hard roof or..... something that will cover the whole cab for the winter, ie doors, front and back, & roof?

And what we were told at the dealers a tilt out windshield is better then a normal one, because a non-tilt-able will vortex in the dust and cold. Dealer's soulution was to also get a back windshield which will change the vortex. The more I research the more conflicting answers I get. That's why I value what you, who use these things, have to say.

Thank you for your time, in answering noob questions. Your time and experience is much appreciate as we "outfit" our new toy.

CM

Reactions: Ollie
J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
For me I bought the winch and plow first, now that the cold weather is moving in, I bought a roof, rear panel, tilt hardcoat windshield, and fabric doors. I've bought a few inexpensive things too, rechargeable portable radio, plow light and plow guides. Strategic planning, I think my p5 is combat ready to take on anything I can throw at it this winter.

Reactions: CMFox
CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
For me I bought the winch and plow first, now that the cold weather is moving in, I bought a roof, rear panel, tilt hardcoat windshield, and fabric doors. I've bought a few inexpensive things too, rechargeable portable radio, plow light and plow guides. Strategic planning, I think my p5 is combat ready to take on anything I can throe at it this winter.

Jay Dawg. Can you explain the difference between a tilt hardcoat windshield and a non-tilt one? Your set up, minus the plow and winch sounds perfect! Thanks.

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
Sorry I don't have experience w/ the non tilt, but I think I will like the tilt to ease up the window fogging on those freezing rain kind of plow days, I think the cool breeze coming up from underneath will equalize the temperature and reduce fogging.

CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
Sounds like a good reason for a tilter.
Final question....I hope. With the roof, doors, front and back covered, does the cab heat up a bit from the engine? Or am I just being an optimist?
Thanks.

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
this will be my first winter, but I will let you know. I never had a heater in my kawasaki and it did fine, the main thing is to get out of the wind. Try to knock all the snow off your boots before you get in cuz it causes condensation as the cab warms up and the snow starts to melt.

CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
this will be my first winter, but I will let you know. I never had a heater in my kawasaki and it did fine, the main thing is to get out of the wind. Try to knock all the snow off your boots before you get in cuz it causes condensation as the cab warms up and the snow starts to melt.

Now you're being the optimist. Snow!? A rarity in the west these winters. But if it comes I will knock it off my boots.
Thanks for you time and answers.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I live in AK, and bought the full cab from the start. We get high winds and driving rain, even through the summers. I may be getting soft in my advancing years, but I wouldn't consider owning a P500 without the cab. It makes everything so much easier. I can trail ride, run to the store, or just go to the beach without dressing in head-to-toe rain gear or bulky coats and bibs. The cab blocks 90% of the wind & rain, and I have never had problems with fogging. I sealed the cab up some more after the summer, to try and retain some more heat. It worked somewhat, but if you're really cold-natured, I would invest in a heater. As far as the tilt windshield, there were 2 or 3 days in August that I kicked it out to circulate some air. It is amazing how well it works. Whatever you decide, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it. These things are a blast! Ha!

CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
I live in AK, and bought the full cab from the start. We get high winds and driving rain, even through the summers. I may be getting soft in my advancing years, but I wouldn't consider owning a P500 without the cab. It makes everything so much easier. I can trail ride, run to the store, or just go to the beach without dressing in head-to-toe rain gear or bulky coats and bibs. The cab blocks 90% of the wind & rain, and I have never had problems with fogging. I sealed the cab up some more after the summer, to try and retain some more heat. It worked somewhat, but if you're really cold-natured, I would invest in a heater. As far as the tilt windshield, there were 2 or 3 days in August that I kicked it out to circulate some air. It is amazing how well it works. Whatever you decide, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it. These things are a blast! Ha!

Warm in Alaska. That's nice to hear. Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. Its helpful!

R

RockCreek

May 17, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
What type of cab do you have?

T

titan1000

May 22, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
If you plan on testing it very much you will want bigger tires and a locker. With its low ground clearance and short suspension travel it's gets stuck in most anything. But with a few mods geared towards you're preferred terrain, it can definitely be a capable little machine.

Reactions: Gassygordo
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Roof, Super ATV Full flip out windshield, rear panel, winch, better tires, Exeter endoplasmatic reticulating photon torpedo launchers and parabolic density crushers on 9 phase spectrum radial illuminator with caustic visual disrupter systems.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Roof, Super ATV Full flip out windshield, rear panel, winch, better tires, Exeter endoplasmatic reticulating photon torpedo launchers and parabolic density crushers on 9 phase spectrum radial illuminator with caustic visual disrupter systems.

And you'll still find there's something else you need! ;)

Reactions: Mudwing and 100Acre
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!