P1000m5 Which windshield, hardcoat or glass?

CarneyRacing

CarneyRacing

Oct 19, 2015
My brother and I are each looking at getting a P1000-5 and we've never had a SxS before. What kind of windshield are people getting on these things? Do you prefer the hardcoat plastic, or the glass windshield? For anyone that's had a SxS with a glass windshield, do you find the frame around the glass bothersome? Thanks!

M

meatman

Sep 24, 2015
I had the glass windshield on my ranger which was nice and didn't scratch but, it got really hot in the summertime when you couldn't open the front. I ordered a pioneer 1000 with the split when shield.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I had thehardcoat on my Yamaha Rhino. it was ok but still got scratched up after a while. I got the glass winsheild for my 700 and absolutely love it. I also installed a winsheild wiper which may not work well on hardcoat the size of the frame does not bother me at all. In fact, i mounted my led lights to the front frame of the windsheild which worked out real well.

S

Summit

Dec 5, 2014
I had thehardcoat on my Yamaha Rhino. it was ok but still got scratched up after a while. I got the glass winsheild for my 700 and absolutely love it. I also installed a winsheild wiper which may not work well on hardcoat the size of the frame does not bother me at all. In fact, i mounted my led lights to the front frame of the windsheild which worked out real well.
I got the full glass windshield on my 700 and it has been working out good,no scratches.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the glass windshield on my ranger which was nice and didn't scratch but, it got really hot in the summertime when you couldn't open the front. I ordered a pioneer 1000 with the split when shield.

Agreed, I'm trying to figure a way to use the factory clamps and make a tilt out glass windshield. I'm thinking create a frame then weld a hinge to the top of it and the glass windshield and make some slides for the bottom.

Might be easier just to make the whole thing.

Glass is awesome though, whole lot easier to clean when you're riding. I added a universal windshield washer tank $13 on Amazon.

0b84568db5c0be5d92ed7de5bd8a0e83

Reactions: Stauvo
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ohanacreek. Yes, I ordered the two piece hard coat but like the idea of easier care of glass based on how yours is coated with mud glaze. The ability to be able to whipe it all off with a little stream water or something in a can seems priceless. I have until spring to decide but am leaning to the glass direction more and more. The whide frame should not bug me as much as it does as it's the same style at my bobcat door/window.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good question I have been pondering that also. My son has the plastic on his Ranger. Afraid to scratch it so we stare through grime all day. But I like the hard coat ability to tip out a little,wish it opened all the way. Think I will get the hard coat tip out and then wait for someone to build an aftermarket glass full open Ranger type windshield.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ohanacreek. Yes, I ordered the two piece hard coat but like the idea of easier care of glass based on how yours is coated with mud glaze. The ability to be able to whipe it all off with a little stream water or something in a can seems priceless. I have until spring to decide but am leaning to the glass direction more and more. The whide frame should not bug me as much as it does as it's the same style at my bobcat door/window.

I went through a gallon of washer fluid at Windrock , LOTS of mud and mud spray.

5f16b10a28527935e874863772390865
Ffe1ef0c52a12cba97485fa015dad964
Aec9b48901afa36867fbcb48925b0bac

My only complaint is heat in the summer, I'll probably get a split one for summer.

Reactions: rocmar
B

Blackstone

Jul 7, 2015
I went through a gallon of washer fluid at Windrock , LOTS of mud and mud spray. My only complaint is heat in the summer, I'll probably get a split one for summer.
Does anyone know how hard it would be to switch out the glass windshield with the 1/2 windshield for the summer?

advertisement
CharlieNJoy

CharlieNJoy

Nov 5, 2015
Does anyone know how hard it would be to switch out the glass windshield with the 1/2 windshield for the summer?
Don't know how hard it is to uninstall the glass windsheild, but we installed our two piece plexi windsheild in the dark in about 20 minutes. You do have to drill two holes in the dash for a bracket. But they are no big deal. Just extra stability for the lower part that we will most likely run with in the summer.

Reactions: Flyingpig
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I prefer glass and had one with glass but w/o a way to open it I won't go this route again. I have gone with the two piece folding on my last 2 SXS's and am much happer only due to the fact you can let air in when it is warm.

Last edited:
F

Flyingpig

Oct 29, 2015
I just installed the glass windshield on a 1000 5. It was easy to install. I also just finished installing the roof which was quite easy also. You may want to look at the installation instruction that you can find on this site.

B

Blackstone

Jul 7, 2015
I just installed the glass windshield on a 1000 5. It was easy to install. I also just finished installing the roof which was quite easy also. You may want to look at the installation instruction that you can find on this site.
Good idea, the wiper option might make up my mind for me.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Blackstone,
I made a 1/2 windshield for my 700. I found it pointless. Wind just hit me in the face.
First trip it was covered in dust and mud. I ended up pulling it off, throwing it in the truck, and never used it again.

B

Blackstone

Jul 7, 2015
Does the wiper just plug in?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I had a glass on my 700, held up great. Plastic....had my doubts about the durability.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
We added the hard coat split our 1k3. For the
difference between it & the non hard coat,
it wasn't big deal, while writing the check
for the whole thing.

I really like the idea of a wiper, after bringing
ours home in the rain. It got thoroughly wet on
the way home and I used a squeegee on it before
our ride that night. I was concerned about
breaking the glass on a trail, where as the poly
has some flex to it.

When our hard coat gets too scratched to see
through, then I will decide if I go with glass.

John

I had a glass on my 700, held up great. Plastic....had my doubts about the durability.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The mounts flex a good bit and it's a solidly made metal frame.

The ROPS doesn't flex that much not designed to.

I hit it with branches and never had an issue with the glass.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!