P1000 White Lightning Build

snuffnwhisky submitted a new Garage Item:

White Lightning Build

Bought her 2 weeks ago. Had a full page s*** list the first night. Didn't really know about Honda having a sxs or much about sxs's until I talked to my brother about getting one. He works at the local Honda shop... lucky me! Started reading this forum after talking to him and out of the blue a guy at work wanted a four-wheeler and I had one... so it begins!

View attachment 23741

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Use a normal GM map sensor. 0-5v reference. It has a nipple for a hose or direct plugin.
Those are good for what? 3bars? Thats more than enough for what those stock eternals will handle.
If i had time (and resources) id like to see if fic controller from aem could be adapted to work. Itd put pc to shame.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Those are good for what? 3bars? Thats more than enough for what those stock eternals will handle.
If i had time (and resources) id like to see if fic controller from aem could be adapted to work. Itd put pc to shame.
The FIC controller looks pretty cool piggybacking. I'm only thinking 110-120 hp so the PCV should handle that with stock fueling but will have to look into that system more.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The FIC controller looks pretty cool piggybacking. I'm only thinking 110-120 hp so the PCV should handle that with stock fueling but will have to look into that system more.
I might could be persuaded to loan you one if youre interested. If it works just buy a new one and give old one back. Id like to one day resurrect my Neon.
Fic is awesome. Does everything you need...map clamp, ignition retard, etc. Has seperate control for up to 4 more injectors if i remember correctly.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also have a missing link laying around somewhere but not sure if p1k map sensor would work with it.

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any thought to a stand alone like microsquirt?

Reactions: BWAF
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any thought to a stand alone like microsquirt?
Im sure Snuff could handle it no problem but ill never install another one. Talk about a headache for technology challenged people like myself. Had to teach car how to run all over again lol

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Holler if you become interested.
1125181537 640x480

I dont think baby girl is gonna be eating any gt's any time soon lol
1125181537a 640x480

Z

Zmorris83

8 psi boost gives a relative fuel pressure of 50psi. 110hp is going to max out injectors at the NA AFR. That's not a good idea. (I'm assuming 4 bar stock fuel pressure and the 55% duty cycle you stated before.) Contrary to popular wisdom, lean is not mean. Lean destroys parts and makes less power. I would want to be at .80 lambda (.82 at the leanest) at WOT using "93 octane" E10 gas. Oxygenated, ethanol and especially methanol fuels won't be possible without significant fuel flow increase. An adjustable base/rate boost reference regulator would be the simplest solution. (To avoid altering part throttle fuel pressure it would have to be plumbed into the factory fuel return which could be slightly challenging considering that it is in the tank.) That in tandem with placing the IAT before the IC should allow the use of the factory ecu.

Another option would be an auxiliary Methanol fuel system direct port injected. You would be able to probably still run "87" E10 and definitely 87 E0. This is probably the route I will take as it would completely eliminate the need for an intercooler and simultaneously solve the octane and timing issue.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
8 psi boost gives a relative fuel pressure of 50psi. 110hp is going to max out injectors at the NA AFR. That's not a good idea. (I'm assuming 4 bar stock fuel pressure and the 55% duty cycle you stated before.) Contrary to popular wisdom, lean is not mean. Lean destroys parts and makes less power. I would want to be at .80 lambda (.82 at the leanest) at WOT using "93 octane" E10 gas. Oxygenated, ethanol and especially methanol fuels won't be possible without significant fuel flow increase. An adjustable base/rate boost reference regulator would be the simplest solution. (To avoid altering part throttle fuel pressure it would have to be plumbed into the factory fuel return which could be slightly challenging considering that it is in the tank.) That in tandem with placing the IAT before the IC should allow the use of the factory ecu.

Another option would be an auxiliary Methanol fuel system direct port injected. You would be able to probably still run "87" E10 and definitely 87 E0. This is probably the route I will take as it would completely eliminate the need for an intercooler and simultaneously solve the octane and timing issue.
48-53 psi is the stock spec on pressure. Pretty sure I was at 55% duty cycle with the Africa Twin cam, intake and exhaust with lamba at 0.90. I do need to verify that again as that was a year ago. Africa twin motor is 94 hp so I should be right about there already. Lamba does need to be around 0.80 like you said. Duty cycle needs to stay below 90%, ideally 80%. I haven't researched but there is probably a larger injector that will drop in if I had to have it. The boost reference regulator would help a little on tuning but it can't really makeup for a larger injector plus the pump has to be changed for a higher pressure to do that. The motor is only 10:1 and I always run 93. With good intercooler temps and pull timing it should be pretty good on pump gas. I've got a good plug viewer to look for detonation.

Z

Zmorris83

48-53 psi is the stock spec on pressure. Pretty sure I was at 55% duty cycle with the Africa Twin cam, intake and exhaust with lamba at 0.90. I do need to verify that again as that was a year ago. Africa twin motor is 94 hp so I should be right about there already. Lamba does need to be around 0.80 like you said. Duty cycle needs to stay below 90%, ideally 80%. I haven't researched but there is probably a larger injector that will drop in if I had to have it. The boost reference regulator would help a little on tuning but it can't really makeup for a larger injector plus the pump has to be changed for a higher pressure to do that. The motor is only 10:1 and I always run 93. With good intercooler temps and pull timing it should be pretty good on pump gas. I've got a good plug viewer to look for detonation.
48 to 53 is worse than 58 proportionately to 8 psi boost. Your relative pressure will drop even more percentage.

.9 lambda after the cam swap is very surprising with no tune. Did you happen to datalog kPa, IPW and AFR before the cam? With the difference in fuel flow demand between 72 and 94 hp I would expect a higher lambda. That is a massive change in peak power. I'm curious where the discrepancy is.

Z

Zmorris83

Fuel pressure, although not directly proportionate to injector flow, does make a significant difference and I would be really, really, really shocked if the pump couldn't flow a measly 110hp at 61 psi.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
48 to 53 is worse than 58 proportionately to 8 psi boost. Your relative pressure will drop even more percentage.

.9 lambda after the cam swap is very surprising with no tune. Did you happen to datalog kPa, IPW and AFR before the cam? With the difference in fuel flow demand between 72 and 94 hp I would expect a higher lambda. That is a massive change in peak power. I'm curious where the discrepancy is.
I have the powercommander and autotune. +30% more fuel at 8k over the stock map with my setting of 0.90 lamba and a few more degrees of timing with the engine mods.

Z

Zmorris83

I have the powercommander and autotune. +30% more fuel at 8k over the stock map with my setting of 0.90 lamba and a few more degrees of timing with the engine mods.
That's exactly what would be expected from 72 to 94.

If you're at 94 hp and 55% IPW, fuel is definitely not an issue. Even E85 would be under 95% IPW at 120hp with boost referenced fuel pressure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!