Who has actually had a tire come off the bead?

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All,

May I ask who has actually had a tire come off the bead and under what conditions did it happen?

Thanks,

S

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is not a talon but @Tigermark and myself both busted a tire of the bead going through the same mud hole on one of my first prides at mulberry. So it can happen

EE6BE150 A362 4A6B 9845 38FC1C459EDC 2ED226F2 5CD6 4A20 A719 07B9A1E7EBCE

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Have only had it happen once, either rock or tree root combined with low tire pressure. Thankfully aired right back up trailside.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys. So if carrying a spare, do you think beadlocks are a "must" for deep backcountry travel?

Reason I ask is because it's another $600+ on top of an already formidable new UTV pricetag.

Thanks

s
So the nice thing about bead locks (and you can do this with non but more of a pain) is that you can carry a tube instead of a spare.. if you tear a tire where you can not plug you can take the bead rim off, insert the tube and then use that to get home. Always carry plugs and a sidewall slug and you can usually fix just about all..

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My buddy just had one come off on his ranger last weekend on a ride. It was on a gravel fire road. A 6” stick hit the brake caliper, got stuck and pushed the bead off.

we were only a couple miles away on a short ride so his dad brought a spare tire since we had nothing to fix it.

After we got back to the cabin we tried to air it up and reseat the bead, but there was a bulge and wouldn’t hold air. So it does happen. And bead locks wouldn’t have helped in this case.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had a stocker come off at the dunes but I was running about 6 psi. If you are going to do anything that requires less than 10psi (rock crawling, sand dunes) then you should use beadlocks. Stopped and helped a guy with Fuel rims at Moab. He was running 8psi and lost a bead doing a simple rock climb. This wheel just would not air back up, even with a pump off a jeep, tie straps or even a C02 cartridge. Another guy there ended up using carb cleaner and "exploding" it and finally got it aired up. Owner of the Fuel wheels commented that he had issues airing them up on a tire machine when they were first mounted and he would never buy a Fuel wheel again.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not on my pioneer yet but I have taken it easy and kept stock wheel and tire pressures around 12 to 14 psi. I have beadlocks now and run around 8psi but I have not trailed with them yet. I had it happen twice to my 300ex while trail riding. I keep a 12v air compressor with me on every trail ride.

Last edited:
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Fast trail I’ve knocked front tires off the bead.

Drifting knocks rear tires off the bead.

Beadlocks or stay close to the truck.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It is at the end at about 4:40 or so. Like I said in the post Really like any thoughts about WHY. Could have been so much worse.
Check it out.

My guess would be a slow leak caused by a cactus thorn let the tire pressure get too low and it rolled off the rim? Stock tires have great traction but they’re pretty ‘thin skinned’. I’m assuming stock rims, not beadlocks?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
It is at the end at about 4:40 or so. Like I said in the post Really like any thoughts about WHY. Could have been so much worse.
Check it out.

Looks like a super mellow ride.

But the flimsy stock tires don’t have sidewall strength or really any resistance to coming off the bead.

Snag some beadlocks and 8 or 10 ply tires for desert riding.

Rocks, cactus etc.

You want tough.

System 3 sB4’s and XTR370’s would be mint.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I haven’t see a tire come off the bead. That includes 8000 miles on my RZR 800S, 11,000 miles on my RZR 1000 and about 6000 miles on my Talon. I stopped having tire problems when I stopped riding on Maxis stock tires, bought bead locks and better tires (DOT LT tires, although running the BFG KM3 ATV now for over 4000 miles no issues). I carried a spare on the 800 and haven’t since. A good tire repair kit and lots of plugs can fix unbelievable punctures. My friends personal best is 46 plugs in a side wall repair. Looked like a desert flower🤣🤪. You break a rim, it’s game over, saw friends hit the same rock busted LR wheels. So it can happen. Just not often enough for me to add the weight and blocked visibility to justify it.

it really depends on where you ride and your style. I’m mostly desert and mountains sand, rock, dirt roads etc.. I do my best to watch the trail for tire killers and I slow down going through sharp rocks. I also run 4WD all the time and don’t drift. One friend likes to drift and his personal best was 10 tire repairs on one ride.

Always ride with someone and if that person carries a spare all the better.😎

R

ROTalon1000

Jun 16, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X
Make sure you have a ratchet strap and compressor with you, compress the tire with the ratchet strap and get it so it will hold air pump it up until it resets itself, be sure to watch your fingers, we've done this on the trail before.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have had one of the stock ones come off and one aftermarket. Many folks will go 1000's of miles and never have this happen as they ride long open trails out west. If you mud/rut/rocky trail ride, and do it fast, its going to happen. The lower the PSI the more likely. I carry a ratchet strap and a Via Air compressor. That gets them back on. But like someone already mentioned, getting the mud out is the tough part, assuming it happened in the mud. Both of mine did.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replied once already on here but now I have an addition......

IMG 20210723 102745

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!