jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Back to @JWB s post 98, Anyone know the tech details on how the stock P500 front 4wd works? Is it like "true 3 wheel drive" so to speak when one wheel looses traction? This why I haven't felt side pulling yet in mud? Guess I'll check out Shop Talk treads too. All this good info has me curious.
So to speak. When the 4wd is engage the front differential gives power to the front passenger side tire. How ever, if this side looses traction that doesn't mean it will kick power over to the driver side then. Most times it doesn't unless you do the "brake tap" trick. That's due to the the P5 having an open diff and not a locking or limited slip diff. These things would be unstoppable with a locking diff!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Back to @JWB s post 98, Anyone know the tech details on how the stock P500 front 4wd works? Is it like "true 3 wheel drive" so to speak when one wheel looses traction? This why I haven't felt side pulling yet in mud? Guess I'll check out Shop Talk treads too. All this good info has me curious.
The front diff on the 500 is a simple, "open" differential. Open meaning no traction aiding devices ( like a limited slip, for example). The original year had this listed under "Features" on Honda's web site, but subsequent years dropped it...presumably because someone came along and informed them that this really wasn't something to be bragging about.

To say that it puts power to "one wheel" isn't totally accurate (though true in some situations).

Someone posted this old video on FB recently. It does maybe the best job I've ever seen in explaining how a differential works in understandable terms. Skip to 1:50 to get to the meat of it...

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Not really. You never have "3 wheel drive" The front diff is a so-called 'open differential' and is virtually identical to the differential in most cars. If you go to the Torq-Masters site, I think they have a pretty good explanation of how it works vs. the auto locker. Think there are some good vids on you-tube as well . A perfect example of a locked, or 'spooled' set up, is the rear end in the P500. If you lift the P5's front wheels off the ground and spin one wheel by hand, the other will spin in the opposite direction due to the spider gear set up in the carrier. If you do the same exercise on the rear, both wheels will spin in the same direction, because there is no 'differential' in that rear housing. Just a ring gear, pinion gear, and a solid axle. SO, when in "4wd" all four wheels are driven with equal power, as long as all four wheels have the same traction. BUT, If one front wheel looses traction, all the power available to the front wheels is given up to the wheel with the least traction. If for instance one front wheel is in the air, or on ice, and the other is on solid ground, you have ZERO power going to the high traction wheel, so at that point you only have 2wd, because no power is getting applied to a front wheel with traction. I've tried the brake tapping thing a hundred times- does nothing if one wheel has good grip, and the other is in the air. It might do something in mud or snow, because you may have near equal traction on both fronts. The reason you will usually see the passenger side front spin, is because you're sitting on the left one giving it more traction, and to more directly answer your question @Mudder , the reason you don't get any "pulling" is because once a front wheel loses traction, the front wheels are doing almost nothing to keep the machine moving because all the power is being wasted on a wheel with no traction. Any so-called 4wd vehicle that does not have some form, or means of locking the drive wheels together, is in reality a 2wd vehicle at best in low traction conditions.. For example, most "4wd" pick-ups have 'open differentials' front and rear. If you jacked one front wheel, and one rear wheel off the the ground, put it in "4wd" and then tried to drive the vehicle off the jacks, both the wheels in the air would spin, and the truck would not move. All the power is wasted on the wheels with least traction- Zero wheel drive. I'm sure this is all clear as mud now:rolleyes:

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
You been without....this long
...trust me...you will
be .....just fine.
s*** by now...we have all
...forgot how to use it....
HaHa

Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Wouldn't have minded having one that day!
Stuck1

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
It took them a little over a week to respond to my last email regarding the power steering. Apparently they are very busy, and probably getting alot of emails. I'm doing my best to restrain myself from pestering them:) Self restraint is not one of my more notable traits.......:rolleyes:

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
If I don't have a locker I will most likely take a look at the 900XC Polaris single seater or a used XP. The wife never goes and I doubt she would let me keep both.
Those must be insanely fast, but going to the dark side? DUDE!......;) Yup, Honda needs to wake the hell up! I think the "lawsuit" lame-*ss excuse is D-E-D- dead, and again, no excuse. I just looked at the 2018 spec's for the single seater- 13" ground clearance, 78 hp, W.E. shocks with 12" travel. Price starting at $13k. Wonder how many more customers Honda is willing to give up? These are the moments when Honda really P.M.O.!!

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
75 HP on a 50 inch machine? Hello hONDA there's a market for that kind of HP
Looks like Can-am is going to release either an ACE competitor or a 50" on the 20th. You know it will have plenty of engine.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like Can-am is going to release either an ACE competitor or a 50" on the 20th. You know it will have plenty of engine.
Yup, and BRP total lack of reliability. But, point taken. Where's Honda? Presently, there is no acceptable alternative for me. In spite of the short comings of my P500, there's nothing I would rather have right now. I'm anxiously looking forward to getting the locker and installing it.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!