P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Don't be surprised or disappointed if it take longer, the 3-4 month timeline seems overly optimistic. I would expect a minimum of 6 months.....even that seems quick to me. If they have something ready for next spring I would be happy.
I think we would all be happy :):D

Reactions: trigger
Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Seem like straight full time lock would be a bear to turn. Their design seems interesting.

"The TORQ Locker™ never technically disengages, but it does allow for wheel spin differentiation so you can turn and steer the vehicle. The Locker achieves wheel speed differentiation through ratcheting. A slight audible click maybe noticeable at low speeds, this is an indication of the locker ratcheting."
That all sounds awesome bot dose any one have an idea as to how much something like this mite cust. Bicous I am saving my lonch money to get one when they are ready. ;)

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Seem like straight full time lock would be a bear to turn. Their design seems interesting.

"The TORQ Locker™ never technically disengages, but it does allow for wheel spin differentiation so you can turn and steer the vehicle. The Locker achieves wheel speed differentiation through ratcheting. A slight audible click maybe noticeable at low speeds, this is an indication of the locker ratcheting."
Per correspondence I've had with Torq-masters, they DO NOT recommend installing on a machine without power steering. So, Get that power steering installed!!! If you don't already have it, you're going to love it! It's another one of those crazy-big-difference, add-ons.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Per correspondence I've had with Torq-masters, they DO NOT recommend installing on a machine without power steering. So, Get that power steering installed!!! If you don't already have it, you're going to love it! It's another one of those crazy-big-difference, add-ons.

Yeah had mine out a couple of times on the trails behind the house, noticed the last time I was backing into the garage that I was one finger spinning the wheel like I would in a car. Strange how fast I stopped thinking about it and it just turned into muscle memory.

C

Chooglin

Although I think there will be a difference in how the steering feels after the locker install , I don't think it will be as bad as you might think. The locker will rachet while turning , this will relieve strain on the drive train and the effort it takes to steer!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Locker and power steering, just another $1000. P500 hobby can be like the national debt...keeps climbing higher! But at least the P500 gives back some fun times. LOL.

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'll defiantly take one! I already have power steering. This will make the P5 into a whole new animal. Has there been any update on release yet? If need be we should all start emailing them to let them know how anxious we are to hand them over some cash...er, well, electronic numbers over the internet anyway...

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Ready already...
Shut up and take my money

Shut up and take my money

luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My warranty expires in april,so I have to wait till then.hopefully someone without power steering will have it tested out.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Although I think there will be a difference in how the steering feels after the locker install , I don't think it will be as bad as you might think. The locker will rachet while turning , this will relieve strain on the drive train and the effort it takes to steer!
Yes, one wheel can overrun the other in a turn, which means that the outside wheel will be able to turn faster, but if power is applied in a turn, the inside wheel will be pulling (when in 4wd) and trying to pull the wheels back to straight forward, or conversely, if in a mixed traction situation or traversing obstacles where one front wheel has good traction, and the other is on a low traction surface, or in the air, the wheel with good traction is going to try to rip the steering wheel toward the side with the least traction. I expect that this is why Torq-masters recommends against installing in a machine without power steering. When a manufacturer recommends against installing their own product in a specific situation, there's usually a real good reason for it. If you want a locker, install the power steering first. I'm convinced this is a safety issue first, but may have a big impact on the 'fun-factor' as well. It's gonna take a fair amount of effort and $$ to install the locker, and it would really suck to find out after the install that using 4wd makes driving the machine miserable, or worse yet, unsafe, without power steering. Maybe one of the guys with a p700 with a locker and no power steering (if there is such a thing) could give us some feedback on this aspect of a front locker??

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Currently I never take mine out of 4wd, no point in it as I see no difference in drivability. If I had a locker and no power steering I would guess that it would spend more time in 2wd and hopefully eliminate the need for the power steering. I am not against installing the power steering, but it eats up storage space I currently use and adds electronic complexity that might not enjoy my submarine lifestyle. I would install it if absolutely needed, but I am willing to wait and see.

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Currently I never take mine out of 4wd, no point in it as I see no difference in drivability. If I had a locker and no power steering I would guess that it would spend more time in 2wd and hopefully eliminate the need for the power steering. I am not against installing the power steering, but it eats up storage space I currently use and adds electronic complexity that might not enjoy my submarine lifestyle. I would install it if absolutely needed, but I am willing to wait and see.
I have the EZ- steer kit and it's made to take deep water. All electronics on it are sealed and water tight. I leave mine in 4wd 98% of the time as well. Mostly to help keep the tires from wearing faster on the back.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Back to @JWB s post 98, Anyone know the tech details on how the stock P500 front 4wd works? Is it like "true 3 wheel drive" so to speak when one wheel looses traction? This why I haven't felt side pulling yet in mud? Guess I'll check out Shop Talk treads too. All this good info has me curious.

Reactions: Dp5hunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!