Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yup, and BRP total lack of reliability.
As opposed to Polaris?

I'm on a couple of Defender boards and for the most part they seem to be doing well, and the problems seem to have been addressed quickly. Seems like they are putting effort into doing better. They need to lose the whole visco-loc thing and get with a true locker, though.

I'm all for options...regardless of who makes them.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Disregard my post about a ACE type vehicle. Just went to BRP's site and there is a shot from the cockpit and this is obviously NOT a single seater.

Here is the discussion about it so we can stop the thread jacking...
Can-Am 50" SxS

Last edited:
S

SmokinJoe

Jan 28, 2017
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just wondering with the ratcheting design how the locker works while in reverse, like backing out a mud hole?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@Mudder lm guessing your thinking 'ratchet' like the ratchet wrench in your tool box.
It's a little different than that.
It only allows the a wheel to move forward compared to the other side, like going around a turn the out side wheel wants to turn faster so it moves ahead.

But if your going in reverse the same thing happens.
So it will still allow you to reverse out of a mud hole and when the front tires start to slip they will both be pulling.
Whether you get out of the mud hole depends on if you are high centered on the deep ruts you can not see.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
@Mudder lm guessing your thinking 'ratchet' like the ratchet wrench in your tool box.
It's a little different than that.
It only allows the a wheel to move forward compared to the other side, like going around a turn the out side wheel wants to turn faster so it moves ahead.

But if your going in reverse the same thing happens.
So it will still allow you to reverse out of a mud hole and when the front tires start to slip they will both be pulling.
Whether you get out of the mud hole depends on if you are high centered on the deep ruts you can not see.
I asked torq-masters the same question- Lee nailed it. It works in reverse same as forward. Just got back from a 5hr night ride-awesome! Had to share!

C

Chooglin

This is from there FAQ on there webb site

Q: Does the TORQ Locker™ ever disengage?

A: The TORQ Locker™ never technically disengages, but it does allow for wheel spin differentiation so you can turn and steer the vehicle. The Locker achieves wheel speed differentiation through ratcheting. A slight audible click maybe noticeable at low speeds, this is an indication of the locker ratcheting.

I don't know if it's really a true "ratcheting" or more like "built in slack" that allows the two wheels to differentciate.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I had 2 of their lockers in my 84 straight axle Toyota. I really liked them. The rear would make a racheting sound sometimes around corners but no big deal. Never noticed the front until you locked the hubs, then it was a beast! I abused the crap out of them with no problems. A buddy of mine still has the truck and still no problems.
IMAG0112

C

Capnwillie86

Jun 19, 2017
Bailey, Ga
Ownership

1. 500
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Well...
the 4th yr of the
Pioneer 500...creeps
towards us....No Locker
Has to be a reason...
Does any other Brand....
Trail rated SxS...offer one?.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Well, the 900 popo has the same 4wd as the other Polaris and it works well. The Can-Am 50" has a Visco, but that's better than nothing (And offers power steering with a longer wheelbase) Arctic cat has a locker on the 700 trail.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Well, the 900 popo has the same 4wd as the other Polaris and it works well. The Can-Am 50" has a Visco, but that's better than nothing (And offers power steering with a longer wheelbase) Arctic cat has a locker on the 700 trail.
I believe. .there's not a 500
trail rated...SxS...that offers
a diff....lock
familiar. .with the Visco...had
on my 800 outlander..it ok
....but that was a ATV..

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I believe. .there's not a 500
trail rated...SxS...that offers
a diff....lock
familiar. .with the Visco...had
on my 800 outlander..it ok
....but that was a ATV..

I dont think 500cc is ever a requirement...the 50" is the market not the CC. (And "Trail rated" is a jeep thing...)

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone actually heard anything from these guys? I am apprehensive to plan spring rides at this point because I don't know if I want to keep the P5 or move on over the winter.

C

Chooglin

I am not giving up on the locker but I have given up on getting any replies from them , I geuss we just wait a few more months and see if we hear any news from them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!