P500 Why Would You Buy A P500

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
But in fairness... it's a big Forman. It should have all the kinks worked out.
I don't know of any kinks the foreman or the p500 ever having, Its more a matter of r&d did their job right before they released them,can't really say that about their latest model.l hope they test their future models better.l think some of the problem is more and more companies are doing their testing with computer simulations and not putting them thru the paces of getting out and riding them hard to find the weak points.companies aren't building with the same over kill in durability they used to, now it seems to be more about cutting corners to show more profit,I have been a machinist for 30 years making parts for major US companies and the quality of the castings and materials they are sending us to machine isn't there anymore because most of the castings are imported, We had a contract in which I made valves for nuclear power plants in China, you would not believe the inspecting and documentation I had to do on each piece and sign off on ,these are now being casted and machined in China, Its cheaper to make them over there, the bottom line looks better,I just hope they don't import them back to us.

J

JTW

I don't know of any kinks the foreman or the p500 ever having, Its more a matter of r&d did their job right before they released them,can't really say that about their latest model.l hope they test their future models better.l think some of the problem is more and more companies are doing their testing with computer simulations and not putting them thru the paces of getting out and riding them hard to find the weak points.companies aren't building with the same over kill in durability they used to, now it seems to be more about cutting corners to show more profit,I have been a machinist for 30 years making parts for major US companies and the quality of the castings and materials they are sending us to machine isn't there anymore because most of the castings are imported, We had a contract in which I made valves for nuclear power plants in China, you would not believe the inspecting and documentation I had to do on each piece and sign off on ,these are now being casted and machined in China, Its cheaper to make them over there, the bottom line looks better,I just hope they don't import them back to us.
Exactly!!

Reactions: iowaguy
xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Eastern Ontario back country
Ownership

1. 500
From what I can determine so far is that the P500 powertrain is tried and true Honda. Maybe if you closely examine underneath the skin there could be components that are not of the same quality as the Foreman's of yesteryear. Perhaps China has worked it way into the core parts mix now. I hope not.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
But in fairness... it's a big Forman. It should have all the kinks worked out.
Anything sold to public...
should not have flaws..period
if it takes 3 yrs..so be it..
Honda has put there own..
loyalty in the trash..putting out
crap..& then blaming it..on how
it's used...

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Read a post..said gotta
know how to drive..the pk1
Excuse me. ..
Riding instructions on any. ATV/UTV
should read...."keep arms & legs inside
the ride...enjoy & Ride Safe..
IMO...

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why would anyone buy a P5 when you could spend a little more and get a P7 with more power, wider stance, more suspension travel and carry more passengers? Or spend a little more yet and get a P1K with even more of those qualities? Seems like the 500 has been losing some of its shine lately.
Because, if either of those machines had been trying to follow my tracks today they would've gotten their ass kicked. 50" quad trails all day. Some areas opened up but a lot of them were so tight they were even beating on the P5, thought I ripped my light bar off once. These are trails that those machines wouldn't even turn into and attempt. And there were lots of them. Never realized how limited the big machines were until today. I even drove through the woods, high brush and dodging trees to get back to a creek that I just had to see...kinda sucked once I got back there and wasn't really worth it, but I got back there! Found myself riding on a bike trail at one point, got off of that one pretty quick.
So, for those that say the little 500 is under powered, too small and not enough suspension, (it has its limitations) you could say the same about any machine compared to the next step up. They can have their minimal amount of trails, I'll take mine, ride all day and never see the same trail twice. A lot less traffic too.
And don't forget...bullet proof!
View attachment 43580
More impressed with this machine every time I take it out...zero regrets.
Well said Trigger, that’s exactly why I got mine!

J

Johnsee

Jul 3, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I wonder what the ratio of sales P1K to p500 is. I am now leaning toward Tacoma/jeep JL rubicon lately.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wonder what the ratio of sales P1K to p500 is. I am now leaning toward Tacoma/jeep JL rubicon lately.
Well, let me see if I can remember what this thread is about, ow yea, Why would you buy a P 500, It's really simple, because I wanted to. If you want it, buy it and please quit justifying it, your decision, I don't look down, up or sideways at any P 500 owner or machine. I just think it great to go riding with friends.:)

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Other than the lack of leg room and some other minor issues, I absolutely love my P5. It has far surpassed my expectations and like @trigger said, that little machine gets into some pretty tight spots the other machines have to stop or find away around. It's BA! I truly have never had so much fun in my life until I took that P5 out to Idaho. This picture is from part of the red cloud loop in north eastern Utah searching for Sasquatch.
IMG 1239

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, let me see if I can remember what this thread is about, ow yea, Why would you buy a P 500, It's really simple, because I wanted to. If you want it, buy it and please quit justifying it, your decision, I don't look down, up or sideways at any P 500 owner or machine. I just think it great to go riding with friends.:)
You are more than likely have to look up at me. Everybody can see up my nostrils

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Other than the lack of leg room and some other minor issues, I absolutely love my P5. It has far surpassed my expectations and like @trigger said, that little machine gets into some pretty tight spots the other machines have to stop or find away around. It's BA! I truly have never had so much fun in my life until I took that P5 out to Idaho. This picture is from part of the red cloud loop in north eastern Utah searching for Sasquatch.
View attachment 60934
I looked at the P 500, but didn't have my creative hat on, I never thought about building my own bed or installing a tool box. Probably for the best because we've got three pups that think the S x S is there's and the wife and I are along to drive and feed them. HA!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You are more than likely have to look up at me. Everybody can see up my nostrils
I wear stilts under my pants, I have a short complex! HA! I bet I don't hit my head as much as you do:D

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Part of my original reasoning forgetting it was to have as a lifeboat case something ever happened to my truck in the back country for me and my dog to escape and or have a way out. Now I can just park the truck and go explore with the Honda pioneer 500 and it gets me into the back places. Another reason why I bought it was because everything I was reading was telling me that a lot of the Western trails were moving towards 50 inch trail limitations. Although I honestly did not see that many trail restricted areas when I was out west this last trip the ones that I did find were pretty awesome and tight and I would not have otherwise been able to make it up there in a larger machine. I do love my Honda 500 but at the same time I also would not mind having a larger machine if anything for the more space it offers a little more power. Another reason why I went with the machine then I got was because my knees are shot and I figured if I have the trails out west moving towards 50", it would get me further into the back country more so than I could hike in. That and it's not a horse.
IMG 2441

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Part of my original reasoning forgetting it was to have as a lifeboat case something ever happened to my truck in the back country for me and my dog to escape and or have a way out. Now I can just park the truck and go explore with the Honda pioneer 500 and it gets me into the back places. Another reason why I bought it was because everything I was reading was telling me that a lot of the Western trails were moving towards 50 inch trail limitations. Although I honestly did not see that many trail restricted areas when I was out west this last trip the ones that I did find were pretty awesome and tight and I would not have otherwise been able to make it up there in a larger machine. I do love my Honda 500 but at the same time I also would not mind having a larger machine if anything for the more space it offers a little more power. Another reason why I went with the machine then I got was because my knees are shot and I figured if I have the trails out west moving towards 50", it would get me further into the back country more so than I could hike in. That and it's not a horse.
View attachment 60946
It would be nice to haul my S x S in the bed of my truck.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Another reason why I bought it was because everything I was reading was telling me that a lot of the Western trails were moving towards 50 inch trail limitations.
View attachment 60946
May i ask what you read to steer you in this direction?

My casual observations were that, if anything, more trails are being opened up to wider widths.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!