P1000 **Winch advise needed!**

BeardedTexan

BeardedTexan

Jun 29, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NVM, just answered my own question by reading the read again. Sorry, guilty of the quick read. The package I ordered from Honda SxS Club Online Store included a 4t Snatch Block! Thanks again everyone for the help. Cannot wait to get this in and installed. Y'all have a great week!

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
D

du870

May 22, 2018
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed a Warn VRX45 ($325) and a Warn made mount ($90) on my 1000-5 and installed it a home in a couple of hours and couldn't be happier with the setup.

K

ken1200

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2019
Elkins, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I learned the hard way. I had the dealer put the Honda Warn winch on my 1000. What they don't tell you is that the Warn winch that Honda sells does not have the dash rocker swith included.

Reactions: TripleB
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Installed my Viper Elite wide spool, 65' synthetic, wireless remote, on an EMP mount. Three hours because the mount was a pita to fit on, but very sturdy. Less than $450 total. Already used a couple times for extractions. I like the wireless remote!

Reactions: BeardedTexan
THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN

Lifetime Member
Apr 4, 2018
Washington, North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with the Badlands #5000 after my Super ATV #5000 crapped out due to wireless remote unit pulled the line into winch all by itself and smoked the motor. Of course SuperATV would not stand behind it. So thats why I went with Badland and it works fine. NOTE: I have no wireless remote anymore either.

W

Weasel_master

Dec 14, 2018
Mn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I learned the hard way. I had the dealer put the Honda Warn winch on my 1000. What they don't tell you is that the Warn winch that Honda sells does not have the dash rocker swith included.
Yeah you've got to buy a separate rocker otherwise it's just the corded remote. I installed my own and downloaded and read the directions before I did it so I was aware before I bought the kit.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
We have a rocker switch solution here if u need.

Reactions: ProudDadOf5
K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A buddy bought his winch at Harbor Freight. Installed cost is low. Seems like he said $350..

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you need to consider your use profile when selecting a winch. When I was selecting mine, I did not have much experience with winches, and only minimal exposure to winching operations.

My first consideration is the fact that we usually ride alone, in fairly remote public land areas, often on weekdays. If I had a buddy along who also had a winch, or it was a heavily traveled trail with lots of winch equipped folks (or someone who could give me a ride out), I'd be a lot more tolerant of winch failure.

I could easily experience a situation where we needed a winch, had a winch failure, and had to at least overnight or walk out 10 miles or so to get help. Under such circumstances a "lifetime warranty" is meaningless.

So I went Warn for the simple reason that they're considered best in class and likely the most reliable. I certainly couldn't ascertain relative odds of failure of Viper/SmittyBilt/KFI/Viper/SATV/HF etc. They all seem to be Chinese imitations of proven Warn designs, and as such will likely work just fine if manufactured well enough.

No winch is failure proof - I don't think my Warn is the end all. But I do think it gives me the best odds of not experiencing a failure when I need it. I still carry sufficient emergency gear to overnight/walk out if necessary. I do believe I made the right decision for my user profile. Your user profile may be completely different. Lots of people/other machines around and a mile or two to the truck, plus a cell signal creates a completely different set of consequences.

After writing this I'm now thinking I should throw a comealong in my recovery box for backup. Belt and suspenders.

ETA I also have a Garmin InReach so we can contact help from the boonies if needed.

Last edited:
BeardedTexan

BeardedTexan

Jun 29, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Completed the install last weekend and defenitally satisfied with the results. Thanks for all the information and support from the members on this thread. Very clean install and affordable.

Layout Winch

THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN

Lifetime Member
Apr 4, 2018
Washington, North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you need to consider your use profile when selecting a winch. When I was selecting mine, I did not have much experience with winches, and only minimal exposure to winching operations.

My first consideration is the fact that we usually ride alone, in fairly remote public land areas, often on weekdays. If I had a buddy along who also had a winch, or it was a heavily traveled trail with lots of winch equipped folks (or someone who could give me a ride out), I'd be a lot more tolerant of winch failure.

I could easily experience a situation where we needed a winch, had a winch failure, and had to at least overnight or walk out 10 miles or so to get help. Under such circumstances a "lifetime warranty" is meaningless.

So I went Warn for the simple reason that they're considered best in class and likely the most reliable. I certainly couldn't ascertain relative odds of failure of Viper/SmittyBilt/KFI/Viper/SATV/HF etc. They all seem to be Chinese imitations of proven Warn designs, and as such will likely work just fine if manufactured well enough.

No winch is failure proof - I don't think my Warn is the end all. But I do think it gives me the best odds of not experiencing a failure when I need it. I still carry sufficient emergency gear to overnight/walk out if necessary. I do believe I made the right decision for my user profile. Your user profile may be completely different. Lots of people/other machines around and a mile or two to the truck, plus a cell signal creates a completely different set of consequences.

After writing this I'm now thinking I should throw a comealong in my recovery box for backup. Belt and suspenders.

ETA I also have a Garmin InReach so we can contact help from the boonies if needed.
I like the idea of the comealong even if only a small one

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!