Winch Line

oldaker201

oldaker201

Nov 30, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
my 1000 came with a KFI 4500 winch on it, i pulled the rope out and it seems like it is very short? i didnt measure yet but im thinking if you had to hook to a tree it needs to be very close, and if wanted to do a double line snatch block pull it would never happen
what length of rope is most running?

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The narrow spool winches, 6" wide hawse, come with 50 or so feet of line. The problem with adding more is that as the diameter of the rope spool increases with more line wraps. As diameter increases the winch's power decreases. Rated power is with one layer of line, I think. So, one option is to add rope to your recovery kit so you can extend your reach if needed.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
A short rope/cable isn't a problem as long as you have longer ropes/cables/straps that lengthen what you can attach to. I like being able to reach out at least 100 feet and if I have to change configuration of my straps every 25 to 50 feet that is OK with me. I like the winch rope/cable to be at least 25 feet and more preferrable 50 feet.

DHS_Officer

DHS_Officer

Jan 14, 2021
Orange County Cal
Ownership

1. Talon X
The narrow spool winches, 6" wide hawse, come with 50 or so feet of line. The problem with adding more is that as the diameter of the rope spool increases with more line wraps. As diameter increases the winch's power decreases. Rated power is with one layer of line, I think. So, one option is to add rope to your recovery kit so you can extend your reach if needed.
100% correct-

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!