P1000 Winch line

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They're both right 👆👆. Off the bottom nearest the mounting bolts.
I have the KFI inverted mount, which makes my bottom the top. 🙊

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They're both right 👆👆. Off the bottom nearest the mounting bolts.
I have the KFI inverted mount, which makes my bottom the top. 🙊

I don't like saying top or bottom for this reason. The cable should come off the drum between the feet.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Best advice is: Always wind your rope or cable the way the winch manufacturer wound it on the spool.

Why? The brake on planetary gear winches are designed to work in ONE direction only.

Planetary gear winches have a "brake" that holds the drum in place when you are winching under load and when your winch is under load but not winching.

If you wind your rope/cable on the spool in the wrong direction, not only will the brake not be able to "hold" when you need it to, but you'll actually be fighting against the brake whenever you are winching in (the brake will be trying to stop the drum from turning).

Further, this is why you should never "reverse" the wiring that operates your winch if/when you realize you wound the rope/cable on the wrong way and/or installed the winch improperly. In these cases, remove the cable/rope and wind it correctly and make sure the winch is installed properly.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!