P500 Winch recommendations

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I went out to the garage and unspooled the other cable and just sort of rough pulled it along the path to the front. You are absolutely right. It seem to be plenty long enough. Saved me some bucks there. Headed to harbor freight to get some wire sheathing and electrical tape to get all my parts lined up. I am waiting on the winch mount now.
Usually i jump to fast and screw up. I am taking my time on this project and try to get it absolutely right the first try.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
You can stall a winch. That is not good. If it happens you should stop and take a different approach to the situation. No matter how big the winch it happens sometimes. Had a stuck tractor one time. A very large tractor. We were winching using a PTO winch on a D7 dozer and we stalled that winch.

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Winch stalls? If not let up, could trip breaker if amps exceeded, heat wires if they’re too small (good reason for trip protection close to battery), or heat motor?
Snatch block - or pully good to have onboard. Have had momentary stalls, eased up, and all still ok.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: SSinc and JTW
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I have almost completed the winch installation. Everything is done but bolting the winch to the mounting plate, it is supposed to be here tomorrow and connecting the cables to the battery and the winch. I will post a few pictures when done. Really has not been all that hard. Proceed slowly and read the directions about 5 times.

Reactions: JTW
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
SANY1687

Got it done and everything worked right the first time. That in itself is an accomplishment for me. It never would have gone as smoothly without everyone's help here. Thanks again!

SSinc

SSinc

Mar 7, 2018
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
I am new here and relatively new to the SXS experience. Had my Pioneer 500 less than a year and really enjoy it. I have decided I want to add a winch. I have some past work with winches but never on a SXS. I have seen the recommendation to multiply vehicle weight by 1.5 to figure what size winch to get. That seems simple enough but I an asking those with experience to give opinions on what I need. We do not do heavy mudding or very challenging trails. My wife and I are both mid 60's so those days are behind us. We ride easy trails and I use it for hunting so I might want to winch a deer off the ground. I try hard to avoind getting stuck or high centered.
Anyone got something to help me get started?

I am adding a KFI Synthetic 3500 or 4500 stealth kit includes the KFI mount this spring. Ebay & Amazon have them for around $350 & up. My local service / repair man who I know & trust has 20+ years experience says KFI is the most bang for your buck. This should give you piece of mind & help you out of any jam you may get into for many years to come.

Reactions: trigger
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I got the Superwinch for less than 250 with the synthetic rope. I did use a KFI mount and it worked out well. The Superwinch had everything needed except the Honda wiring harness which was about 11 bucks at the local Honda dealer and I needed 4 longer bolts to bolt the winch to the mount. Superwinch states that that may be necessary. All together I have maybe 310 dollars in the whole project. The hardest part for me was reinstalling the metal skid plate and lining up all the bolt holes. The rest went smoothly as I read the instructions and solicited sound advice. If the battery had been in the front it would have been immensely easier.

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
That is the remotes I use on 4 different winches I currently have and they have all work great up to about 50'.

Reactions: Mudder and JTW
R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I got to use my winch today. We were riding a trail that we knew was full of blowdowns. On the way back got high centered on a log that we could not get out of the road on the way down. Winched over with no problem. My wife right then realized why the winch was necessary. We were not hung up bad just bad enough. Sure beats jacking the machine and putting rocks under the wheels for who knows how long.
When you need it you really need it.

J

JTW

Absolutely love this winch setup with strong made bumper....did you have to paint it black? does it require the fairlead mounting plate?
I did paint it... used a heat gun to remove the stickers and then reapplied after paint. The aluminum fairlead is nice with the synthetic line. I got line, fairlead and winch all from amazon.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!