alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Fuses I had not thought of. I will look into that. Does the 500 have a problem with fuses???
They don’t have a problem fuses but like the plug being a little remote these items are light weight to carry along in case you might need one

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
running the wires just you want as little vibration as possible and i like to run them fairly high so they dont get the water and mud but if its hard like this 700 was there was a channel in the bottom, above the plate wrapped would be fine probably if you keep the terminations as high as possible

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Here’s a thread that had a lot of good discussions if you need it. P500 - Call for winch wiring help??
Sounds like you are on the right track @twodog .
  • Some units don’t have long enough wires to reach battery
  • Based on amp draw/distance , 4-6 gauge wire recommended. (Chart in thread)
  • Resettable, waterproof switched circuit breakers close to battery is a protective option
  • Adding under hood terminal blocks are handy for future connections
  • The Honda accessory harness is good $ value for key-on relay power source (if equipped)

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Superwinch Terra 45 and KFI winch mount. Fits perfectly and its easy to install. For the little bit of added cost, it's money well spent.
my recommendation as well. Add a remote control to it and its perfect. Started out with a cheaper winch and it was noisy and slow.

Reactions: Mudder
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
Here’s a thread that had a lot of good discussions if you need it. P500 - Call for winch wiring help??
Sounds like you are on the right track @twodog .
  • Some units don’t have long enough wires to reach battery
  • Based on amp draw/distance , 4-6 gauge wire recommended. (Chart in thread)
  • Resettable, waterproof switched circuit breakers close to battery is a protective option
  • Adding under hood terminal blocks are handy for future connections
  • The Honda accessory harness is good $ value for key-on power source
I had seen the Honda accessory harness. I was wondering if it would carry the load of a winch. If it will that would make wiring the winch much easier and compact

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I would only use the small guage OEM harness for the key-on winch contactor relay (if equipped). Used 6 ga. for run from battery to winch motor supply. Sorry for any confusion, edited post.

Reactions: AlR
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I would only use the small guage OEM harness for the key-on winch contactor relay (if equipped). Used 6 ga. for run from battery to winch motor supply. Sorry for any confusion, edited post.
Thanks I am a self confessed amateur electrician so I always ask for help. When I wire it up i have a riding buddy who is good at this stuff lined up to brainstorm the project.

Reactions: Mudder
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
nice thing about the super winches you get GOOD wire and fuses everything you need beside mechanical mount(then you could use the honda plug or solder it but that the only two ways to go on atv/utv), the cheap winches dont and that stuff is expensive. the terra 35 or 45 amazon is good, it was 240 for the steel 45 and 25 for rope. but that was nov when everything is cheapest

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
If you go with a Warn winch by chance, personally I'd stay away from the new design Warn, specifically the VRX series that just recently replaced the Vantage series. They've definitely cheapened them up. We had a customer that just bought one, installed it, all the thing would do is "click" when you hit the rocker switch. It was a bad contactor right out of the box.
You can buy new in the box Vantage and ProVantage winches all day long on Ebay for usually quite a bit less than buying one at a dealer.

J

JTW

If you go with a Warn winch by chance, personally I'd stay away from the new design Warn, specifically the VRX series that just recently replaced the Vantage series. They've definitely cheapened them up. We had a customer that just bought one, installed it, all the thing would do is "click" when you hit the rocker switch. It was a bad contactor right out of the box.
You can buy new in the box Vantage and ProVantage winches all day long on Ebay for usually quite a bit less than buying one at a dealer.
How about that new axon

MontanaTom

MontanaTom

Feb 18, 2018
Big Sky Country
Ownership

1. 500
I have another question. Any pointers or suggestions on wiring in to the battery? I have read to drop the skid plate and follow the wires along the frame and that sounds good. I wonder what others have done or any problems or things to look out for. I intend to wrap everything in protective wire wrap and shrink tube all connections.
I Did not drop the skid plate but Fished the power line to the battery with some .10" weed trimmer cord from Sears.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I took the jump and ordered a Superwinch Terra 35 S and a KFI winch mount. Already got my electrically knowledgeable help lined up. I went ahead and got the synthetic rope at the get go. I would just hate for the wife to get stuck with wire while hooking the cable up while I sit and operate the winch controls. And if you believe that I will make you a deal on a used bridge to nowhere. LOL
This is going to be both fun and interesting for me. Thanks to all who shared their expertise. Believe me it is all appreciated.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I got the winch in and it all seems fairly straightforward even for someone like me that is not so good at electrical stuff. I have decided to order the Honda wiring harness for getting the key on winch hookup. Maybe that is not the correct description but I think those familiar will understand. It also is readily apparent that the battery connection cables are way to short to go to the back battery location. Superwinch provides 6 gauge cables. So if I go to the parts store to get long enough cables will 6 gauge work or do I need to step up a gauge?
I have started reading through the wiring help guide as posted above but it so far is not answering my question or tell me where the chart is that was mentioned
Thanks

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
IMO, 6 ga. likely fine for the little more length you will add, looks like max pull is 190 amps, likely pulling less most of time. I just bought a separate longer cable for adding terminal blocks, but @JTW comment below a good option depending on your routing. (Edited)

741B7F04 49F3 43D7 A102 345F7BE33A03

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I got the winch in and it all seems fairly straightforward even for someone like me that is not so good at electrical stuff. I have decided to order the Honda wiring harness for getting the key on winch hookup. Maybe that is not the correct description but I think those familiar will understand. It also is readily apparent that the battery connection cables are way to short to go to the back battery location. Superwinch provides 6 gauge cables. So if I go to the parts store to get long enough cables will 6 gauge work or do I need to step up a gauge?
I have started reading through the wiring help guide as posted above but it so far is not answering my question or tell me where the chart is that was mentioned
Thanks
Why? That’s completely unnecessary. Superwinch provides you with everything you need to hook up your winch. You have a set of long cables and a set of shorter cable leads. On the p500 just use the long cables to go to the battery in the back and the short cables to go from the solenoid to the winch. As for the winch on power supply... the accessory pigtail is a good way to go for 7-8 bucks. Then you’ll have other optional supply leads if you need them for other accessories on day.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
Why? That’s completely unnecessary. Superwinch provides you with everything you need to hook up your winch. You have a set of long cables and a set of shorter cable leads. On the p500 just use the long cables to go to the battery in the back and the short cables to go from the solenoid to the winch. As for the winch on power supply... the accessory pigtail is a good way to go for 7-8 bucks. Then you’ll have other optional supply leads if you need them for other accessories on day.
I had thought about that but I did not think they looked long enough either. I will check. You guys are great. Many thanks

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!