Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Been having PM with newer member @HP5NC about wiring winch, and suggesting a run of heavy guage wire to under hood/junction posts and using a switched circuit breaker near battery. He plans to add front light bar, etc later. Searched some old threads but wondering if someone has a simple line type diagram or other tips that might help. Throwing this out there, many good worded posts, but hoping for a visual aid also. He a is intersted in components needed, and plans to use sub harness and add voltmeter, which I did not install. Thanks.
One good example of finished work IMO. P500 - SuperAtv winch

Last edited:
Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks @Mudder as I stated earlier I have wired winches in the past. But I’ve never used any kind of circuit protection. I’ll be installing a badlands 3500. Going to upgrade the solenoid/contactor from the get go and better wiring, probably buy a cheap set of 4 or 6 jumper cables about 12 or 16’ should give me plenty of length needed. Also up grading to synthetic rope and hawse from the get go. Just safer and especially when my young son is with me. The volt meter I bought was off amazon for 10 bucks. It hard wires in an had digital read out and two USB ports. Will most likely put it just to the left of the Speedometer in that little indention there. Any tips to wire this winch up properly with some circuit protection is appreciated. I will be using the KFI mount and want to use the Honda accessory subharness as well. Thanks Josh

Reactions: GrnP500
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used 2ga cables, a 300amp circuit breaker (12v) on a 4500lbs winch. Warn has their winch draws posted so does MotoAlliance. You can configure circuits so many ways depending on how you want them to interact. Just like plumbing. I don’t think you’re going to get anything specific to what you’re doing unless you are copying someone else exactly.

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I guess I really just need to know what kind of circuit breaker I’d need, where to place it on the machine within the system and how to wire it tying all together.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I really just need to know what kind of circuit breaker I’d need, where to place it on the machine within the system and how to wire it tying all together.

As close to the battery as possible, but somewhere you can get to it and out of mud and water possible, a rating higher than the stall amp draw on your winch Its to prevent a short on that 2ga wire from burning the machine down (breakers usually come in 200-250-300amp flavors).

I used the feed wires to my contactor as buss points....yeah I know its not ideal but a 10ga wire from it to my fuse block to the 2ga feed wire on my contactor won't hurt anything and I have a good ground and positive feed.

Reactions: Mudder and HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I think I understand what your saying @ohanacreek.

Not to get off topic. But is a circuit breaker “Necessary”?? I ask because I’ve never used them with my atvs. And I know there’s lots of winches being run out there without circuit breakers. Just thought I’d get some opinions on it. Main reason I want to use one this go round is because of some small wattage accessory lights I’d like to install down the road.

Reactions: SouthParkColorado
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I understand what your saying @ohanacreek.

Not to get off topic. But is a circuit breaker “Necessary”?? I ask because I’ve never used them with my atvs. And I know there’s lots of winches being run out there without circuit breakers. Just thought I’d get some opinions on it. Main reason I want to use one this go round is because of some small wattage accessory lights I’d like to install down the road.

You don’t need one, I have one just in case that 8’ long positive wire I have running from battery under seat to my front winch grounds to the frame it will hopefully trip and not burn.

You’ll need a fuse block for small accessories either way.

There are 1000 ways to skin that cat.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You can find circuit breakers on Amazon. I actually have two 300 amp based on @ohanacreek 's recommendation as well. He's using 2 ga. and I think I used 4 ga. which is even more reason to have a circuit breaker. One is for winch and other for accessories, my sound system pulls a lot of power. The draw of the winch will generate heat in the wire and if it gets hot enough...not good. I didn't go with a fuse block like he did though, I used a Blue Sea Buss Bar.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can find circuit breakers on Amazon. I actually have two 300 amp based on @ohanacreek 's recommendation as well. He's using 2 ga. and I think I used 4 ga. which is even more reason to have a circuit breaker. One is for winch and other for accessories, my sound system pulls a lot of power. The draw of the winch will generate heat in the wire and if it gets hot enough...not good. I didn't go with a fuse block like he did though, I used a Blue Sea Buss Bar.

I have a Rowe PDM60. They have a newer version out now.

Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Not an electrician, but use light switches daily.
Thinking Breaker amp rating sould be no higher than the smallest wire rating in the circuit, or could fry that weakest section of wire, (supplied 6 gauge motor leads). Manual shows 232 amp max for the 3500. I went just a bit lower on circuit breaker amp rating as a safety factor as it is a easy reset.

If I ever max out/stall winch or trip the breaker, would likely do a snatch block to reduce stress on winch and battery draw. Would not be surprised if some reported winch failures could be due to exceeding duty cycle times and causing overheats. About 15 min. cool down after 45 sec of use at max.

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/61000-61999/61257.pdf

5770EC39 BC98 4832 8613 A8CC95112826 A0454A9E A4E2 4B6E 882F BB65349D2283 9350864D B5A3 47B8 BEFE 15CBA0891AA6

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Caution on breaker amp rating. Thinking Breaker amp rating sould be no higher than the smallest wire rating in the circuit, or could fry that weakest section of wire, (supplied 6 gauge motor leads). Manual shows 232 amp max for the 3500. I went just a bit lower on circuit breaker amp rating as a safety factor as it is a easy re-rest. Breaker attached via zip ties a few inches out of battery box on ROPS behind passenger seat. Have the same winch and use a switched waterproof breaker as it was at the local auto store (similar to pic). $30 well spent for piece of mind and lower amp rating OK for 90% of pulls.

If I ever max out/stall winch with max amp draw, would do a snatch block to reduce stress on winch and battery draw. Would not be surprised if some reported winch failures could be due to exceeding duty cycle times and causing overheats. Just my opinion.

View attachment 87383 View attachment 87384 View attachment 87387

Very good point, mine are rated at 306-309amp draws something like that from Viper.

I’ve tripped the 300a breaker twice on first layer pulls.

I am less worried about the winch than I am about going full Polaris

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Thinking Breaker amp rating sould be no higher than the smallest wire rating in the circuit, or could fry that weakest section of wire, (supplied 6 gauge motor leads). Manual shows 232 amp max for the 3500. I went just a bit lower on circuit breaker amp rating as a safety factor as it is a easy re-rest.

If I ever max out/stall winch or trip the breaker, would likely do a snatch block to reduce stress on winch and battery draw. Would not be surprised if some reported winch failures could be due to exceeding duty cycle times and causing overheats. About 15 min. cool down after 45 sec of use at max.

View attachment 87383 View attachment 87384 View attachment 87387

Mudder I was in oriellys last night. Had to get a new battery for the wife’s Ford Escape. They had this exact circuit breaker in there 150 amp. 32 bucks is that what I need? Hook to the hot wire (positive) coming off the red lead from the solenoid to the battery? As close to the P5 battery as possible?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Mudder I was in oriellys last night. Had to get a new battery for the wife’s Ford Escape. They had this exact circuit breaker in there 150 amp. 32 bucks is that what I need? Hook to the hot wire (positive) coming off the red lead from the solenoid to the battery? As close to the P5 battery as possible?
Thats what I did, you can always replace it with a higher one in if needed, as long all wiring is done with proper size now, (has not tripped yet). At least it will let you proceed.

Most labor for me was taking off skid plates, and putting plastic split wire sheath/loom (inexpensive) on as extra rub protection. Zip tied wire route to avoid potential heat or rub wear issues over long term. Maybe overkill, but full confidence won’t ever have to do it again, and the split loom makes it look better IMO.

00782514 9DDA 4F41 9795 E7FE14F0F4F5

Last edited:
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
So I haven’t bought the badlands 3500 just yet. Only some of the things I need for it or any winch. BUT I’m really torn between the badlands and the SuperAtv 3500 black ops winch. I really like the superatv but I just haven’t been able to find a lot of real world feed back on it. Some but not much. I think it’s newer for superatv. What I have read on it seems positive. I’m sure it’s made in China like most winches today. It’s 199 for the superatv 3500 black ops. I really like the way they have they wirOmg harness setup on it. So so very simple. Only I wish the superatv winch included was a corded remote also. Comes with rocket switch an wireless. There’s about 65 dollar difference between going with the badlands 3500 and the superatv. I’m really torn between these two winches. I know the badlands is a good little winch for the money hard to beat it. But I do like this superatv black ops 3500 for 199.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Same one I got, you can always put a higher one in if needed, as long all wiring is done with proper size now. At least it will let you proceed. Hasn’t tripped yet.

Thanks I’ll probably pick one up in the next couple days then. Should be pretty simple to wire that in.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
So I haven’t bought the badlands 3500 just yet. Only some of the things I need for it or any winch. BUT I’m really torn between the badlands and the SuperAtv 3500 black ops winch. I really like the superatv but I just haven’t been able to find a lot of real world feed back on it. Some but not much. I think it’s newer for superatv. What I have read on it seems positive. I’m sure it’s made in China like most winches today. It’s 199 for the superatv 3500 black ops. I really like the way they have they wirOmg harness setup on it. So so very simple. Only I wish the superatv winch included was a corded remote also. Comes with rocket switch an wireless. There’s about 65 dollar difference between going with the badlands 3500 and the superatv. I’m really torn between these two winches. I know the badlands is a good little winch for the money hard to beat it. But I do like this superatv black ops 3500 for 199.

I’m going to give superatv a call today. I’m curious what size gage wire they use and how many feet they give you. If the wires included will suffice then that saves me having to get some cheap 4 or 6 gage jumper cables if I do get the bandlands.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Never used corded remote, added the inexpensive wireless remote. Don’t let a few bucks deter you, get what you feel good about. Other product reviews via Amazon?

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
So I called superatv at the wiring on their black ops 3500 winch is two six foot sections 8 gage. I was hoping it was 6 gage at least. That’s weak leak with the badlands from my understanding is the wiring harness and components. Thought maybe IF I went with the superatv winch I could avoid buying 4 or 6 gage jumper cables to use. I mean I guess the 8 gage wires superatv uses is ok. Their winch puts more power out than the badlands. It’s 1.3 hp with 170:1 gear ratio. Badlands is 133:1 and forget the horsepower. Anyway I’m not sure winch way to go. Probably just stick with the badlands?

Reactions: BuckCreek01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!