P500 Call for winch wiring help??

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
When I mounted my winch the bolts sent with it seemed to short to go through both plates and have enough bolt in the winch so I had to get longer ones.

Reactions: Gassygordo
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
When I mounted my winch the bolts sent with it seemed to short to go through both plates and have enough bolt in the winch so I had to get longer ones.

Did you use the KFI mount?

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone know what size diameter the terminals are on the stock P5 battery as well as the typical terminal post size on the winch?? Got to get some connections for the 4 gage jumper cables I bought at Walmart today. 20 bucks for 20’ 4g cable. Nice and thick. Should work good.

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone know what size diameter the terminals are on the stock P5 battery as well as the typical terminal post size on the winch?? Got to get some connections for the 4 gage jumper cables I bought at Walmart today. 20 bucks for 20’ 4g cable. Nice and thick. Should work good.

Anyone have any idea?

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Either a M4/M5/or M6 bolt. You should be safe if you get a 1/4" hole in the cable end.

Ok thanks. I should be able to find them at local auto store or hardware store.

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I have read that many are buying booster cables and cutting off the clamps. Just a word of caution. Many cheap cables are either aluminum, or copper clad aluminum. Both have a lower current carrying capacity than copper. If you go this route increase the gauge.

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I received my KFI 3500 winch but due to other major renovations I'm doing to my home I haven't even opened the box to see what was supplied with it.
I live a couple of hours from a welding supply store and don't want to run short of cable when I finally get around to installing it.
4ga copper welding cable is less than $2.50/ft (2ga is less than $4/ft)
1) If I want to put heavier cable from the battery to and from the winch how much should I buy? I would rather have a yard too much than be an inch short.
2) Other than the small increase in cost is there any reason that I shouldn't use 2ga?

I have spent so much $ on the winch, plough et cetera I don't want to "cheap out" by saving a few dollars on the wire.

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I have read that many are buying booster cables and cutting off the clamps. Just a word of caution. Many cheap cables are either aluminum, or copper clad aluminum. Both have a lower current carrying capacity than copper. If you go this route increase the gauge.

Yeah, I bought 20’ 4 gage cables.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I received my KFI 3500 winch but due to other major renovations I'm doing to my home I haven't even opened the box to see what was supplied with it.
I live a couple of hours from a welding supply store and don't want to run short of cable when I finally get around to installing it.
4ga copper welding cable is less than $2.50/ft (2ga is less than $4/ft)
1) If I want to put heavier cable from the battery to and from the winch how much should I buy? I would rather have a yard too much than be an inch short.
2) Other than the small increase in cost is there any reason that I shouldn't use 2ga?

I have spent so much $ on the winch, plough et cetera I don't want to "cheap out" by saving a few dollars on the wire.

@nctrailboss stated he used 10 feet from the solenoid mounted on the firewall to the battery and 10’ BARELY made it. I will use 11’. That is routing the wires down and under the skids (which is the correct and best way-drop the skid plate) 20’ of cable should allow you plenty to run from the winch to solenoid and solenoid to battery.

These winch manufacturers are going to have to do better. They need to specify when buying is it for ATV or UTV. And offer the correct components for such, i.e. correct cable length an gage as well as correct mounting bolt lengths. I’ve got the KFI mount attached. I need longer fasterns by about a quarter inch than what came with my superatv winch. The hardware included seems quality 8mm hex head stainless steel. Just aren’t longer enough as other have ran into as well. There’s absolutely no reason manufacturers can’t get it right in the box based on the customers application. Rant over.

I shopped and look at every winch from POS 50 bucks to 500 plus. Now I haven’t gotten my superatv hooked up and mounted yet. It’s sitting on the mount plate. It’s going to work fine and looks awesome. But from my shopping experience if I bought again I’d buy directly from MotoAlliance and get a Viper Max or Viper Elite. They have it so you can spec your order out like you need, extended 4 gage cable choice of rope color etc. remotes of choice etc. I would have came out the same money in the end. Don’t get me wrong I am happy with what I’ve bought it looks awesome and I’m sure it’s going to serve me well! Can’t wait to get it all bolted down and wired up.

One thing I have noticed I may have to do is trim the plastic shroud that’s over the radiator. When standing facing the machine the plastic on the left side of the shroud sticks out longer on the left than the right. It’s touching the rear post/terminal coming off the winch. No big deal. But I remember when shopping I can’t remember if it was superwinch or Viper winches that have an option where the terminals can be rotated to the desired position that works best. Anyway that’s my thoughts so far.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Have a fastener question-So I’ve got to get some longer bolts to fasten the winch to the mount. 4 bolts. The winch came with I believe 8mm diameter bolts they say HJ A2-70 on the hex head. Which I believe is 304 grade stainless steel. Should I stick with the same? I need about a 1/4” to 3/8” longer bolt. But I’m wondering should I get grade 8 zinc or some coated graded 8 bolt instead? What’s everyone’s thoughts. In my mind and opinion grade 8 is superior in strength and this winch is holding to the frame and KFI mount with just the standard four bolt arrangement. Thoughts?

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I also got to wondering when I sat the winch in there on the KFI mount with it being kind of tight like it is (which I like it’s compact and looks good) how in the world did some get these larger winches like a wide spool terra 45 in there on the KFI mount!?!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a fastener question-So I’ve got to get some longer bolts to fasten the winch to the mount. 4 bolts. The winch came with I believe 8mm diameter bolts they say HJ A2-70 on the hex head. Which I believe is 304 grade stainless steel. Should I stick with the same? I need about a 1/4” to 3/8” longer bolt. But I’m wondering should I get grade 8 zinc or some coated graded 8 bolt instead? What’s everyone’s thoughts. In my mind and opinion grade 8 is superior in strength and this winch is holding to the frame and KFI mount with just the standard four bolt arrangement. Thoughts?
I would use a standard coated M8 bolt. Stay away from stainless steel for this application, they usually are not strong enough.
Should be able to find it in any hardware store, farm supply etc. Stay away from black oxide coated, too much water and mud in these machines for a raw bolt.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I would use a standard coated M8 bolt. Stay away from stainless steel for this application, they usually are not strong enough.
Should be able to find it in any hardware store, farm supply etc. Stay away from black oxide coated, too much water and mud in these machines for a raw bolt.

Yeah I’m thinking just a standard grade 8 hex bolt full thread is all I need. 1 3/8-1 1/2” length should do it. I’m not around any salt water anyway.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Bought my cable off a roll from auto parts, get a few extra feet for safe measure, only a few bucks more.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I just thought of something else. When hooking up the key on power to the subharness the wire coming off the solenoid to the subharness does that need an inline fuse?? If so what size amp/fuse?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
AF24467C 2CD0 4A10 B829 F5F41162FF3E
These prior posts may help. P500 - ACCESSORY SUB HARNESS - 08Z08-HL5-A00

P500 - ACCESSORY SUB HARNESS - 08Z08-HL5-A00

AF24467C 2CD0 4A10 B829 F5F41162FF3E

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!