Winch stops and starts

ReidMcT

ReidMcT

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hunt, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
I used my newly installed SuperATV 3500 winch today. At first, it was fine, then it was not. I was using it to pull a force of no more than 50 pounds - using a block and tackle to help me move some heavy stuff. After winding in about 25 feet of rope, the winch stopped. I pushed the (remote control) button again, and it wound in about another foot, then stopped again. To wind in the last 10 feet or so of rope (with no load at all) took several minutes of start/stop/wait/repeat.

Is the winch sensitive to voltage? Was just I running down my (stock 700) battery? I had the engine idling the whole time, but I don't think the alternator does much - if anything - at idle.

Does this sound like an expected problem with the stock battery and not running the engine at higher revs? It's a new (3 months) battery, FWIW. I'll do the auxilliary battery route if necessary, but I don't want to do it if the real problem is something else.

Surely it wasn't a thermal protection kicking in? If so, then this winch overheats far too easily (small load, short pull). The instructions say not to run it for more than a minute at full load. I wasn't close to that.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the connection to the key-on positive wire is not as good as it should be. Thinking back on the scene, I can't swear that I recall hearing the solenoid click the times when I pressed the remote and the winch did not turn. I used the cheap piggyback wiring connector that came with the kit. Maybe that should be the first thing I check?

I've never owned/used a winch before, so hopefully this problem is well understood by you veterans. I look forward to your help and advice.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
tighten all connections.Even at Idle you should of had plenty of power.Unless you were running lights or prolong heavy winching.
But it sounds like a loose connection.JMO

J

JTW

I agree.. sounds like a bad connection or maybe a solenoid going bad. I think a second battery is a good idea if you plan on winching much at all. Might also try charging the battery and see if that helps.. just thinking out loud as to what to check.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I used my newly installed SuperATV 3500 winch today. At first, it was fine, then it was not. I was using it to pull a force of no more than 50 pounds - using a block and tackle to help me move some heavy stuff. After winding in about 25 feet of rope, the winch stopped. I pushed the (remote control) button again, and it wound in about another foot, then stopped again. To wind in the last 10 feet or so of rope (with no load at all) took several minutes of start/stop/wait/repeat.

Is the winch sensitive to voltage? Was just I running down my (stock 700) battery? I had the engine idling the whole time, but I don't think the alternator does much - if anything - at idle.

Does this sound like an expected problem with the stock battery and not running the engine at higher revs? It's a new (3 months) battery, FWIW. I'll do the auxilliary battery route if necessary, but I don't want to do it if the real problem is something else.

Surely it wasn't a thermal protection kicking in? If so, then this winch overheats far too easily (small load, short pull). The instructions say not to run it for more than a minute at full load. I wasn't close to that.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the connection to the key-on positive wire is not as good as it should be. Thinking back on the scene, I can't swear that I recall hearing the solenoid click the times when I pressed the remote and the winch did not turn. I used the cheap piggyback wiring connector that came with the kit. Maybe that should be the first thing I check?

I've never owned/used a winch before, so hopefully this problem is well understood by you veterans. I look forward to your help and advice.

It may have a thermal cut out breaker. I know some come with these. It may look like this....

C9dbba0ee853503b586f332adca9b6de

It’s there to keep the motor from overheating after prolonged use.

If that’s the problem, it sounds like the thermal protection is cutting out too early.

ReidMcT

ReidMcT

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hunt, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
All wiring was tight. SuperATV is sending me a replacement solenoid. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: JTW
ReidMcT

ReidMcT

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hunt, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Solenoid was not the problem. I've now removed the winch itself and returned it for testing and possible replacement.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Solenoid was not the problem. I've now removed the winch itself and returned it for testing and possible replacement.
Bummer.

Is this, by chance, a wireless remote? Might check the batt in it if it is. I'm guessing you would have done that already if it were the case.

ReidMcT

ReidMcT

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2017
Hunt, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Bummer.

Is this, by chance, a wireless remote? Might check the batt in it if it is. I'm guessing you would have done that already if it were the case.
Yes, but behavior is the same with both wired and wireless controllers, as well as with the wired replacement solenoid they sent me. Their hypothesis right now is that there may be a poor internal connection in the winch that gets worse with use as it heats up.

Reactions: DG Rider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!