P500 Winch wires too short?

Chance135

Chance135

Jun 18, 2015
Southern Maine
I began to install a new superwinch LT4000 UTV on my P500 and much to my surprise the included wires are far too short. the wires that route from the solenoid to the battery are both 6 feet long and it appears I need around 8 feet to make it. Am I doing something wrong here? Even the black wire that routes from the winch to the solenoid ran short by about two inches.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I began to install a new superwinch LT4000 UTV on my P500 and much to my surprise the included wires are far too short. the wires that route from the solenoid to the battery are both 6 feet long and it appears I need around 8 feet to make it. Am I doing something wrong here? Even the black wire that routes from the winch to the solenoid ran short by about two inches.
You routed under the floorboard and above the skid plate? Mounted solenoid somewhere near firewall?

Chance135

Chance135

Jun 18, 2015
Southern Maine
Yes. I followed the factory wiring harness that drops down the firewall and back along the frame rail that is located above the the skid plate. I mounted the solenoid in the factory location as well. Sorry, those are important details I left out of the original post.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes. I followed the factory wiring harness that drops down the firewall and back along the frame rail that is located above the the skid plate. I mounted the solenoid in the factory location as well. Sorry, those are important details I left out of the original post.
That's how I did mine and wires were long enough, but that was for Superwinch.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well, that sucks. I didn't have a lot of wire left over when I did mine but I did have enough to make it back to the battery box.
I guess you either have to buy some longer cables or mount a junction/power distribution somewhere. I mounted a power block in my toolbox that feeds all the accessories. Just had to feed that off the battery. Wouldn't be a bad idea if you plan on adding more electrical later. Just try to keep it high and dry.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well, that sucks. I didn't have a lot of wire left over when I did mine but I did have enough to make it back to the battery box.
I guess you either have to buy some longer cables or mount a junction/power distribution somewhere. I mounted a power block in my toolbox that feeds all the accessories. Just had to feed that off the battery. Wouldn't be a bad idea if you plan on adding more electrical later. Just try to keep it high and dry.
How'd you do that trigger, drill a hole and come up through the bottom???

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
I had same problem. You can either move the solenoid or buy longer cable. I didnt want solenoids down low in constant water. So i used new cable i had from my car audio days. Was heavier gauge. I actually bolted the black and red together to make one long one. Then used the cable i had for the other. Its hard to find cable these days unless you order online. Luckily i had some

Reactions: Chance135
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
How'd you do that trigger, drill a hole and come up through the bottom???
Yeah, drilled a hole and used a bushing. Went with a huge bushing too, figuring it would be big enough for future accessories.
Last wires I pulled in were fitting a little snug.
Car audio shops are the best place to find cables. Cost more than the standard stuff at HD but that's because it's very flexible and easier to work with. Better copper too.

Reactions: Chance135
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 3k lb winch and while it does not use a solenoid the wires were too short. I purchased a set of cheap jumper cables and cut the ends off to get a decent gauge wire with a heavy jacket at a low cost.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, drilled a hole and used a bushing. Went with a huge bushing too, figuring it would be big enough for future accessories.
Last wires I pulled in were fitting a little snug.
Car audio shops are the best place to find cables. Cost more than the standard stuff at HD but that's because it's very flexible and easier to work with. Better copper too.
Cool, you mean like a rubber grommet, or other. I never thought about going to a car audio shop, I just ordered a spool off amazon, and soldered lugs on for my own custom length, and then shrink wrapped the connections.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Cool, you mean like a rubber grommet, or other. I never thought about going to a car audio shop, I just ordered a spool off amazon, and soldered lugs on for my own custom length, and then shrink wrapped the connections.
Electrical bushing. Steel nipple with thin nuts on each side, then a plastic nut on each side so as not to dig into the wire. About 1 1/2" around.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Electrical bushing. Steel nipple with thin nuts on each side, then a plastic nut on each side so as not to dig into the wire. About 1 1/2" around.
Ah yes, I know what you're referring to now.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016

I bought new cable so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Here is a link to my install if you are interested:

P500 - Obsessive winch install.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ran a 6 ga wire to the hood out of the battery cover box square hole behind the positive battery terminal and mounted a Bussman waterproof switchable breaker to the large diameter frame tube behind passenger. Out of the way but easy to get to. See red button in pic. Wire in split protector. Normally kept off.

IMG 3362

Reactions: trigger and solrus
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ran a 6 ga wire to the hood out of the battery cover box square hole behind the positive battery terminal and mounted a Bussman waterproof switchable breaker to the large diameter frame tube behind passenger. Out of the way but easy to get to. See red button in pic. Wire in split protector. Normally kept off.

View attachment 27422
That's a good enough spot for it!!

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
same problem with the same winch. I have 4ga 8' cables on order

how do you like the LT4000?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!