P500 Wiring in an led light bar and work lights.

M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the reply.
I have the locker and power steering instead, lights are next.
I'm ordering that breaker and a blue sea.
For lights in thinking the road shock brand from harbor freight.
View attachment 157035

Based on info I've read, I'm considering going with marine grade wiring from the battery to the breaker you suggested, and from the breaker to the Blue Sea. I'm not sure what size the actual battery wires are, but what is preferred for running to the breaker and from the breaker to the fuse bank, 4 or 6? The harnesses I'm purchasing already include relays.
I'm open to any other suggestions.
Mark

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
33B16189 8A7B 4EB4 9EE7 12660CADD199
Running 6 ga., no issues so far. A little tight fit in battery, 4 ga. even stiffer and larger lugs.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Based on info I've read, I'm considering going with marine grade wiring from the battery to the breaker you suggested, and from the breaker to the Blue Sea. I'm not sure what size the actual battery wires are, but what is preferred for running to the breaker and from the breaker to the fuse bank, 4 or 6? The harnesses I'm purchasing already include relays.
I'm open to any other suggestions.
Mark

Welding cable, costs a little more but much more pliable and easier to work with. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/EWCS-Gauge-Premium-Flexible-Welding/dp/B01D7Q1RAK?tag=sxsweb24-20

M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welding cable, costs a little more but much more pliable and easier to work with. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/EWCS-Gauge-Premium-Flexible-Welding/dp/B01D7Q1RAK?tag=sxsweb24-20
For the winch and high amp stuff, Many have run a 4 or 6 ga. wire off the positive battery source with the switched breaker close to the battery (frame behind passenger), then run wire to under the hood to aftermarket terminals for power to accessories which draw more than the OEM harness could handle (15 amps??). Some members have chosen to run a similar separate same-gauge wire for the ground, but I used the frame as my ground path. The switched breaker makes it nice to cut power when hooking up connections. Heres a helpful thread. P500 - Call for winch wiring help??
Heres the switched waterproof breaker I used.
Many aftermarket choices on terminal blocks. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB185-150-Type-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B001PT7XBE?tag=sxsweb24-20

Amazon.com: 12 volt block terminal
View attachment 157030 View attachment 157031 View attachment 157032

I'm going with the Blue Seas 6 circuit at 30 amps each. But it also says 100 amps per block, what is the definition of a block and how many are there?

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your 6 circuit fuse box can protect up to 100amps split over the 6 circuits. max protection of 30a per circuit.

M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Your 6 circuit fuse box can protect up to 100amps split over the 6 circuits. max protection of 30a per circuit.

Yikes, Does that mean I should not have ordered the 150 amp breaker?
I'm not a wiring guy obviously

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yikes, Does that mean I should not have ordered the 150 amp breaker?
I'm not a wiring guy obviously
150 is fine. If you are going to use a few 30a circuits. Try to stagger the location. try to put a space between them of a lower load. If that makes sense.

GaryG

GaryG

Oct 20, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 500
what do you think about using a cheap set of jumper cables for the wires? any recommendations on mounting the lights. i think i would like to add a light bar and work lights to my P500

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Led light bars and work lights don't draw a ton of power, so jumper cables would be overkill. If wiring up a second battery I would lean towards something of quality and proper gauge. Winch's usually come with cable supplied, if you need added length just jump up one gauge heavier.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!