Wolverine 2000 mile report

K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ya we just bought the Wolverine to use till we figured out what we were going to do about our downed Pioneer at the time but after getting another Pioneer we just couldn’t sell the Wolvie. Too good of a machine.
Glad you’ve enjoyed yours you’ll really enjoy the Talon I’m sure. Totally agree though that Honda should have a mini sport model added I think it would sell.
If I could keep the Wolvy in addition to the Talon I would. But limited space and a wife decreed(she loves to be shotgun taking pictures) one toy limit doesn't leave me with many options.

23658538 10215455620163136 8610745676602820242 n

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If I could keep the Wolvy in addition to the Talon I would. But limited space and a wife decreed(she loves to be shotgun taking pictures) one toy limit doesn't leave me with many options.

View attachment 91480
I can appreciate that. We shouldn’t have kept it but daughter would’ve killed me lol. Have you had any issues?

K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I had a top end rebuild at 5200 miles(despite proper maintenance), had to replace the cooling fan due to a poor design. The Wolvy wasn't abused but not babied either. Regardless of that serious issue, I will vouch for the overall reliability of the Wolverine. How many people do you know put on 6000 miles in two seasons of riding? Most take 4-6 years to get that type of mileage.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I had a top end rebuild at 5200 miles(despite proper maintenance), had to replace the cooling fan due to a poor design. The Wolvy wasn't abused but not babied either. Regardless of that serious issue, I will vouch for the overall reliability of the Wolverine. How many people do you know put on 6000 miles in two seasons of riding? Most take 4-6 years to get that type of mileage.
There’s a few I’ve seen with that many miles or more per year but many are mainly dirt road miles I think. Our p700 and first p1000 were getting 3-400 per month easily but we haven’t been averaging that many lately. Buddy of mine lives in the deep woods and has 10k in a couple years on a P1000

Last edited:
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve enjoyed reading this thread. Before I bought my first utv I looked at and drove a Wolverine. I really liked it but it was a little more than I wanted to spend. I ended up with a Kymco UXV 450 which I really enjoyed for 2 years it was a solid machine. Now I have my 18’ pioneer 500. I’m 100% satisfied. I couldn’t be happier with it. In fact I’ll probably have it till the day I die or hand it over to my son. Having said that I do always wonder what if, what if I did or ever decided to get something else what would it be. I think probably a Wolverine X2 they’re really nice rigs as noted in this thread. Or I do like the can am commader as well as the defender HD8. The JD gator XUV are nice as well (love my John Deere equipment) Now don’t rip me for this but the new Polaris ranger XP 1000 is probably the nicest looking IMO if they could ever get the quality and reliability down! So in the end if I ever got another side x side as of today it’d probably be and X2 or the dark horse in the market the Kymco UXV 700! Yup I’d go back to Kymco with no hesitation. The new 700 has very nice bucket seats arched a arms new piggy back resivor shocks etc. when Kymco updated the UXV line for 2018 IMO they’re the most under appreciated and under valued side x side on the market. Anyway I’ve gotten off track. Happy for you Wolverine and X2 owners. But LOVE MY HONDA PIONEER 500

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve enjoyed reading this thread. Before I bought my first utv I looked at and drove a Wolverine. I really liked it but it was a little more than I wanted to spend. I ended up with a Kymco UXV 450 which I really enjoyed for 2 years it was a solid machine. Now I have my 18’ pioneer 500. I’m 100% satisfied. I couldn’t be happier with it. In fact I’ll probably have it till the day I die or hand it over to my son. Having said that I do always wonder what if, what if I did or ever decided to get something else what would it be. I think probably a Wolverine X2 they’re really nice rigs as noted in this thread. Or I do like the can am commader as well as the defender HD8. The JD gator XUV are nice as well (love my John Deere equipment) Now don’t rip me for this but the new Polaris ranger XP 1000 is probably the nicest looking IMO if they could ever get the quality and reliability down! So in the end if I ever got another side x side as of today it’d probably be and X2 or the dark horse in the market the Kymco UXV 700! Yup I’d go back to Kymco with no hesitation. The new 700 has very nice bucket seats arched a arms new piggy back resivor shocks etc. when Kymco updated the UXV line for 2018 IMO they’re the most under appreciated and under valued side x side on the market. Anyway I’ve gotten off track. Happy for you Wolverine and X2 owners. But LOVE MY HONDA PIONEER 500
Kymco is a very underrated manufacturer. I had their engine in my arctic cat 450. It was a stout little motor.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Kymco is a very underrated manufacturer. I had their engine in my arctic cat 450. It was a stout little motor.

I agree that 443cc motor in my 450 Kymco I had is very stout! Very torquey and would get to 48-50 mph plenty quick enough. Honestly that 443cc engine is probably a better motor than what is in our pioneer 500. I mean the 475cc is bullet proof but I do think the 443cc Kymco built engine is a stout little monster in itself pretty sure Kymco has won a national gncc championship with it in the Kymco maxxer 450 atv.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree that 443cc motor in my 450 Kymco I had is very stout! Very torquey and would get to 48-50 mph plenty quick enough. Honestly that 443cc engine is probably a better motor than what is in our pioneer 500. I mean the 475cc is bullet proof but I do think the 443cc Kymco built engine is a stout little monster in itself pretty sure Kymco has won a national gncc championship with it in the Kymco maxxer 450 atv.
This was mine.

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
This was mine.

They’re quick man. I really enjoyed my Kymco UXV 450 with that engine. Was a good machine. But I’m jealous of the X2 owners. The new Wolverine is prob my favor machine out right now. Still a little to big overall though. Market still needs a 50-54” wide equally balanced sporty/rec/utlitly machine! Until the perfect machine is built I’ll always have my pioneer 500.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They’re quick man. I really enjoyed my Kymco UXV 450 with that engine. Was a good machine. But I’m jealous of the X2 owners. The new Wolverine is prob my favor machine out right now. Still a little to big overall though. Market still needs a 50-54” wide equally balanced sporty/rec/utlitly machine! Until the perfect machine is built I’ll always have my pioneer 500.
I drove the x4 and the 700. I personally like the 700 better. Call me crazy. But has better suspension and same top speed. I do like the full doors

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I drove the x4 and the 700. I personally like the 700 better. Call me crazy. But has better suspension and same top speed. I do like the full doors

You referring to the pioneer 700 or Kymco UXV 700?

Reactions: Plumber32
D

Deleted member 3748

I still wanted a 50" machine before I got the X2. But now that I have the X2 and it's so stable I'm perfectly happy with it's 59" width. I can't go on the 50" trails anymore, but I have a whole bunch of new stuff I can do.

The R-Spec suspension is much better than the X4 but still has 1" less travel than the 700 R-Spec. Weller racing re-flash and a JBS sheave have the X2 hitting 68 mph now.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I still wanted a 50" machine before I got the X2. But now that I have the X2 and it's so stable I'm perfectly happy with it's 59" width. I can't go on the 50" trails anymore, but I have a whole bunch of new stuff I can do.

The R-Spec suspension is much better than the X4 but still has 1" less travel than the 700 R-Spec. Weller racing re-flash and a JBS sheave have the X2 hitting 68 mph now.

I understand. Just most the trails I ride are tightly wooded. 60” width would be the biggest I’d ever go. Most the machines are just to massive if your east of the Mississippi IMO. But 54-56” width is good. I love my pioneer 500 though I truly do. I know it has its limits. Even if I got a new X2 or whatever I could never get rid of “Oliver” he’s a beastly lil guy! Gets er done

D

Deleted member 3748

I understand. Just most the trails I ride are tightly wooded. 60” width would be the biggest I’d ever go. Most the machines are just to massive if your east of the Mississippi IMO. But 54-56” width is good. I love my pioneer 500 though I truly do. I know it has its limits. Even if I got a new X2 or whatever I could never get rid of “Oliver” he’s a beastly lil guy! Gets er done
I was riding a P500 until July of this year. I understand the strong feelings one can have for that little workhorse.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I was riding a P500 until July of this year. I understand the strong feelings one can have for that little workhorse.

Absolutely. Hoping Honda continues putting out the products we all want! It’s a miracle from God himself that they’re bringing the talon to market. I hope they keep them coming!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!