P500 Won’t start

M

Mozzie16

Sep 9, 2019
Lake elsinore
Ownership

1. 500
it wouldn’t crank for me or shift gears, so I disconnected and charged the battery. Still couldn’t get it to crank. Somehow my husband got it to crank, but no shift, no start. Manually got it it to shift to neutral, still no start. My husband charged the battery again without disconnecting it. No more cranking. Dash lights started flashing. Finally figured out that was a code. 64.... disconnected the black box under the seat and let it sit for a day. Now I get the code 64 about 3 times and then everything lights up and flashes rapidly. Where do I start to figure this out?

M

Mozzie16

Sep 9, 2019
Lake elsinore
Ownership

1. 500
I get this noise now...
Definitely electrical. I'd start by pulling the seats and plastics out and checking out the wiring for possible rodent damage? If you've been having battery problems, you might just need a new battery. These things go goofy on low power.
I think I hear the fuel pump now but don't smell any gas.
I took the battery to AutoZone to have it checked and the guy said it was fine. Not sure I trust him... I handed him the battery and he was surprised it was heavy... maybe he didn't know what to check. I certainly didn't know what he was suppose to check.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Easy enough to check the battery . If it is the battery , you can run jumper cables to your p5 . If it's the battery it will start and be fine with the boost . I did take my Rubicon battery to AutoZone and then Orielys , both said it was fine . Took it to a motorcycle shop with the correct equipment to check it , they said it was no good , I bought a new one and my problems were solved . Good luck .

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Mine flashed after charging battery, it read proper voltage but still not enough power to start. Turned out I had a bad voltage regulator (putting out 18v) that fried the battery. New battery and voltage regulator fixed it. Dealer charged around $100 for battery.
P500 - Trouble - electrical

Last edited:
M

Mozzie16

Sep 9, 2019
Lake elsinore
Ownership

1. 500
Just a bad battery. I shouldn’t have tried to make it more complicated than it was. So $72 dollars later and 1-1/2 drive. It’s fixed. Thanks for the info. It really was helpful in making me realize I really did have to make that drive.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!