P700 Won't run over 30 mph

D

don70

Apr 11, 2016
Georgia
My 2014 Honda Pioneer 700-2 has performed flawlessly until now. Only 445 miles on it. Got it November 2013. It will not run faster than 30 mph. I changed spark plug to ngk irridium plug. Syphoned gas oil of tank and filled with Premium. No change. It would easily hit 45 mph and cause Rev limiter to lick in. Any suggestions?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
If it isn't coughing or sputtering I'd look at air flow.
Clean air filter. Check the exhaust for blockage.
Any chance a brake is dragging?

Reactions: JACKAL
D

don70

Apr 11, 2016
Georgia
It accelerates great from standing still until around 27 to 30 mph. Then it acts like something is restricted. I will check/clean air filter, check exhaust flow, and insure breaks are released completely. Thanks for advice. I'll update after I check it out. Thanks again.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Some of the 2014's had issues with the baffles inside the muffler coming loose and essentially plugging up the muffler. The result of that sounds similar to what you describe. If air intake and everything else checks out ok you may try removing the muffler completely and try to get up to 40 or so and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then it's time to go exhaust shopping!

D

don70

Apr 11, 2016
Georgia
Some of the 2014's had issues with the baffles inside the muffler coming loose and essentially plugging up the muffler. The result of that sounds similar to what you describe. If air intake and everything else checks out ok you may try removing the muffler completely and try to get up to 40 or so and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then it's time to go exhaust shopping!
Checked air filter. It wasn't all that dirty. Going to check exhaust this afternoon. Thanks for all the ideas.

Reactions: Tflynn and Hondasxs
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Checked air filter. It wasn't all that dirty. Going to check exhaust this afternoon. Thanks for all the ideas.
Your air filter would have to be REALLY dirty to cause your problem. So if it's looking ok, my money is on exhaust blockage

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Is it shifting into 3rd gear?
That was going to be my question. After sitting for a month or two with a dead battery, mine had some issue. I had a dash(-) in my display. Apparently this means there is a problem, and it's in limp mode, which means it will only go up to 2nd gear, thus limiting the top speed to around where you were saying. After running it awhile, then letting it sit for an hour or two, this condition went away, and it's been running fine ever since.

D

don70

Apr 11, 2016
Georgia
I found out that the last baffle plate in the muffler had torn away from the tack welds inside holding it in place. It was actually pushing against spark arrestor and compressed the wire causing outlet to be restricted. I took muffler off and cut it open at last weld. Removed baffle plate, welded back together and problem solved. Now runs out great. Thanks for all the advice.

Reactions: B128462 and Tflynn
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Good call!

Reactions: Tflynn
N

nsolimini

Apr 8, 2016
Lakeland, FL
I found out that the last baffle plate in the muffler had torn away from the tack welds inside holding it in place. It was actually pushing against spark arrestor and compressed the wire causing outlet to be restricted. I took muffler off and cut it open at last weld. Removed baffle plate, welded back together and problem solved. Now runs out great. Thanks for all the advice.
How did you notice that the baffle tore from the weld? Basically, how can I tell if my muffler is doing the same thing? Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
How did you notice that the baffle tore from the weld? Basically, how can I tell if my muffler is doing the same thing? Thanks
@nsolimini take the pipe cap off, find a flashlight, and look inside. Do you see any damage?
You will see a wall a few inches in with a hole in it, is that wall secure?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!