P1000 Won't shift into reverse

S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2016 with <100mi and it doesn't want to go into reverse. Display shows a dash "-" and that's it. I can shift to drive and everything works as normal, shift back to R and nothing. Confusing thing is if I do this a few times, it will eventually go into reverse however the display still reads "-"

Any ideas?

Reactions: BWAF
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Mine only does not go in reverse when it is cold.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You can check if the cable needs adjusting by shifting it down in a gear and instead of letting the shift handle fall in the gate, keep it pushed over and wiggle it up and down. It should be centered in the gate for each range.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
When in neutral it should be in the center of the gate. The cable adjuster is under the battery. There is an access panel under the battery. You may have a bad gear position sensor.

S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can check if the cable needs adjusting by shifting it down in a gear and instead of letting the shift handle fall in the gate, keep it pushed over and wiggle it up and down. It should be centered in the gate for each range.

When in neutral it should be in the center of the gate. The cable adjuster is under the battery. There is an access panel under the battery. You may have a bad gear position sensor.

I tried this yesterday and it looked to be center. If it was off, it wasn't by much at all.

If the sensor was bad, wouldn't it affect other gears as well? Forward and neutral work as they should and the dash reads properly. It's only in R that the dash reads "-"

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is your dash flashing any other codes?
I would suggest taking a video of the dash.
Start it. Wait for one bar on the dash for temp.
Go thru selecting gears until it has an issue.
From there, upload the video to youtube and paste the link here.
We will be able to better help you.

S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is your dash flashing any other codes?
I would suggest taking a video of the dash.
Start it. Wait for one bar on the dash for temp.
Go thru selecting gears until it has an issue.
From there, upload the video to youtube and paste the link here.
We will be able to better help you.

Dash is not flashing a code.

Will try to get a vid tonight.

advertisement
S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok gents, I figured out what the problem was. I had some corn in the bed and discovered a significant hole in one that looked suspiciously like mouse teeth marks. I had a hunch so after investigating, the bastard chewed through 3 wires up under the drivers seat. After some splicing work, everything works as it should. I then set out many traps in an effort to avoid future frustration.

Thanks for all the help!

M

Marcpage

Nov 8, 2021
New-Brunswick
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok gents, I figured out what the problem was. I had some corn in the bed and discovered a significant hole in one that looked suspiciously like mouse teeth marks. I had a hunch so after investigating, the bastard chewed through 3 wires up under the drivers seat. After some splicing work, everything works as it should. I then set out many traps in an effort to avoid future frustration.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for all the help!
On witch one of the wire it was im having the same issue here sometimes it works and sometimes i have to play with it to make it work

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!