Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
As for Co detectors. Being a HVAC service guy the last 20 yrs I’ve see them fail or give false alarms all the time. The combos mostly. They also have a 5 yr shelf life. When u buy them, Mark them with the date installed and5 yrs date to dispose. There is a moisture wafer inside and some other things that detect the air and it drys out therefore no good. On cheep models especially combos there made cheaply and the circuitry inside can have it get set off by electronics in the home such as a garage door opener. Again faulse alarm that freaks you out and Are ones that don’t go off when it should have. The ones we see that work the best as a store bought CO detector are the ones with a digital readout and plug into the wall (110v) with a BUILT in battery back up. Example: knight hawk. These are well built same shelf life and rearly if any give any faulse alarms. The digital front will also give you a percentage of CO. These will cost you in the 50$ range. You get what you pay for with CO detectors. The lesson is-Smoke alarms and CO alarms should be separate not combo.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I had a pellet stove in the basement... I still have the 3” stainless vent running outside... I plugged it, but curious if that would allow enough airflow? All while not allowing too much thermal loss. About 2000sqft in the basement.. mostly open.
Combustion air, surely not ve
So I had a pellet stove in the basement... I still have the 3” stainless vent running outside... I plugged it, but curious if that would allow enough airflow? All while not allowing too much thermal loss. About 2000sqft in the basement.. mostly open.
The 3 inch vent is probably for combustion air, unplug it, If it was for spent fuel fossils gas your house would be full of smoke. I don't even cook on the gas cook top without the vent running that goes out side. Don't go to bed with any kind of ventless appliance running! Period! I may be crazy but I'm not s####d. Just think about it! And I think you will see the light.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As for Co detectors. Being a HVAC service guy the last 20 yrs I’ve see them fail or give false alarms all the time. The combos mostly. They also have a 5 yr shelf life. When u buy them, Mark them with the date installed and5 yrs date to dispose. There is a moisture wafer inside and some other things that detect the air and it drys out therefore no good. On cheep models especially combos there made cheaply and the circuitry inside can have it get set off by electronics in the home such as a garage door opener. Again faulse alarm that freaks you out and Are ones that don’t go off when it should have. The ones we see that work the best as a store bought CO detector are the ones with a digital readout and plug into the wall (110v) with a BUILT in battery back up. Example: knight hawk. These are well built same shelf life and rearly if any give any faulse alarms. The digital front will also give you a percentage of CO. These will cost you in the 50$ range. You get what you pay for with CO detectors. The lesson is-Smoke alarms and CO alarms should be separate not combo.
Good point! I just don't trust anything ventless with my life, period !

Reactions: Remington
J

JTW

The 3 inch vent is probably for combustion air, unplug it, If it was for spent fuel fossils gas your house would be full of smoke. I don't even cook on the gas cook top without the vent running that goes out side. Don't go to bed with any kind of ventless appliance running! Period! I may be crazy but I'm not s####d. Just think about it! And I think you will see the light.
What? Why would the house be full of smoke?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't trust the safety features with my life and you relight them? Think you need to go back to square 1 and rethink relighting? Really, I want y'all around for a lot longer!
Lol. The slightest thing and they shut down.

J

JTW

Thanks for the info.. I’ve learned to just not leave mine running. Basement is a walkout with French doors so getting air isn’t a big deal. I just need to know when I NEED to open them! Lol..

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
YUP

YUP! Thats why they tell you during a power outage not to heat your home with a gas stove with out cracking a window. Think about a gas ventless anything, do they burn CO2, NO! You are breathing it. If you find your self suffering from CO2 poisoning drink lots of milk, it will flush your system of CO2 pretty quickly. Ok, that's all the smart things I've got to say tonight, back to the BS!
:D:D:D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Are you saying that burning fossil fuels are bad for the environment, or just my lungs......? :D

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Lol. The slightest thing and they shut down.
And when the mechanical device fails, ow I know they never do (HA!) what then? I don't smoke and can smell CO, yea the so called experts say it's odorless, I can't stand to be in a home with new carpet and can smell CO2, it has a sweet caustic smell to me. Please don't go to bed with any kind of appliance
What? Why would the house be full of smoke?
If you stopped up the combustion vent, unplug your combustion air vent and your unit will burn a lot better!

Reactions: Plumber32
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are you saying that burning fossil fuels are bad for the environment, or just my lungs......? :D
If you use a vented appliance, it will be worse for your neighbors! At least you'll live through the night, HA!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
To your main point though Smitty, I just carry a rick in each arm for all my fires, I don’t need no dang cart lol. :D

3496709E F897 4D32 961C 60533D87A0F8
B1C52EE8 F8EF 4EA0 BED3 4142A718C6D2

J

JTW

And when the mechanical device fails, ow I know they never do (HA!) what then? I don't smoke and can smell CO, yea the so called experts say it's odorless, I can't stand to be in a home with new carpet and can smell CO2, it has a sweet caustic smell to me. Please don't go to bed with any kind of appliance

If you stopped up the combustion vent, unplug your combustion air vent and your unit will burn a lot better!
I replaced the pellet stove with the gas logs

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If you use a vented appliance, it will be worse for your neighbors! At least you'll live through the night, HA!
So I’m polluting the neighborhood with my gas log fireplace?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ventless can be scary. But due to government standards they do have a low O2 (that’s oxygen for those of u in Reo Linda) shut off safety plus a pilot safety. They all have an anti tilt safety that shuts them down if they were to fall past a curtain angle. There are on some more fancy well built ventless heaters that have other fancy limit safeties like a conventional furnace as well. There very safe. Can understand the reason to be concerned for safety. But all you really need is a good CO detector for extra measure. I use one for my upstairs in my cabin where the wood stove dosnt reach and yes, I have a separate co detector in that area also.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

No, I didn’t stop anything up, I’m just saying that since it was new it’s been a pita. It doesn’t sense enough air or smells mamas perfume or hears the coyotes, whatever, always is shutting down. :rolleyes:

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
and can smell CO
Your not smelling co. Your smelling unbrned combustion has SOME co in it and can make you Nauseous. Sorry to bust your balls... but you can’t smell Co! That’s why you die!:eek:I’d say to ask people who have but there dead:cool:

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Speaking of the original thread title lol I have a huntsman that takes 24” logs , has a secondary heatexhanger and heats my 1200 square foot cabin easily. It was made in GA and not made anymore. Very heavy stove. When we put it in, my arcehole was hanging out 3’ by the time we were done! There was a lot of beer consumed Haha
AE27413B 8E05 4E08 BBD4 F97E0BAE2A80

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!