Yamaha Viking Review

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
While waiting for my red 4 to come in hopefully next week... I decided to stroll down to the Yamaha dealership and take a look at Honda's direct competitor, the Viking. I will try to submit a real life test ride and be as least biased as I can.. Here are some of the Pro's:

IT IS ON DEALERSHIP FLOORS....lol
I am not sure of the actual top speed, but in a straight paved parking lot I was able to reach 50mph.
The fit and finish were good. Everything seemed to have its place.
The cab felt very big. I personally did not like this extra space feeling, but larger people may enjoy the roominess.
The suspension felt o.k. But not nearly as plush as the Honda...I didnt get any measurements, but the frame looked much wider than the Pioneer almost like that of a big red.
Comes stock with a plastic roof
The door latched very nicely and had a car like pull out handle.
The knob to switch it from 2 to 4 to no locking front diff was nice and easy to turn left and right.
(pro)Thin lightweight plastic was everywhere around the wheelwells in order to keep out mud... (con) but once mud gets inside, good luck getting it out. and also it is so thin, I would think a quick stick poke or slap and you now have a rattling crack and mud entry way.

Here are some of the con's:

It is a wide machine. The extra 1.8 inches truly does make it look and feel much larger of a vehicle.
The bed shell outer sides are made of thin plastic, unlike that of the heavy duty honda plastic.
The bottom and sides of the bed were painted sheet metal. Yes, this one makes no sense. One rock or load of dirt and it will surely scratch immediately and rust over time. Yamaha must have hired a polaris engineer for that one. jk..kinda.
3 seats upfront. We packed 3 grown men in the cab. Yes, the seats are staggered, but I was in the middle and I felt claustrophobic.
Plastic roof: I believe I would feel less smashed in the middle and have a more open if this machine did not have a roof.
Heavy steering.. Something about it made my steering feel heavy. The steering wheel is smaller than the honda's and it the machine wider so maybe that was it. I have not driven the Pioneer yet, but I have sat behind the wheel after my dealer drove for my test ride and the Honda's steering wheel just feels more user friendly and has better ergonomics.
Belt drive...though it did not have that clutch engagement jerking feel like polaris, it is still belt driven and water water will still stop you in your tracks (or the river)
The radiator was set back farther and lower than the hondas and it did not have any type of shrouding.
Like the Pioneer's no-sit tailgate, there is a warning stamp saying not to sit on the plastic tailgate.
OH yeah! I almost forgot the vibration.. This was the FIRST thing I noticed when I turned the key. The dash and everything around it shook up and down and I could feel the vibration on the entire vehicle. It was crazy. Its like they rubber mounted the dash rather than the engine itself.

I know every machine is not perfect. But some are more perfect than others.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
red4life,
Thanks for the review of the Viking.
Not sure I can ever be a fan of a belt. But they do have there good sides if you can keep them out of the water. Yamaha builds a nice machine. I would chose them before any Polaris for sure.

PS. moved your post to Other SxS Brands.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
Thanks red4life for taking the time to review and report your impressions of the Viking. From videos and online images, the seats look like a race seat with the wrap around design that is supposed to "hold" you in your seat. But it seems like that would make the driver and passenger feel cramped even when there is not a third rider in the cab. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like Yamaha rushed the Viking into the market. Competition is what drives these guys to get better, but I think the Pioneer may have just drove Yamaha to do something different without taking the time to be better.

aronsrb

aronsrb

May 15, 2014
ohio
I purchased a Viking over a pioneer for the simple fact that I need room for 3 people and a bed for cleaning horse stalls, the pioneer 4 seater bed is not functional at all for horse poop and bedding, the only thing I can say negatively about the viking is the ground clearance. But that was quickly resolved with some 27" tires and a 2" lift from superatv.com. i have used it around the farm and in the trails quite a bit (including mud, hills and water)btw I frequently ride with polars rzr's and the only advantage I have found that they have is suspension. Even though I am a yamaha guy, I really like reading the other forums and see what other people like and dislike about their machines. The viking just happened to be the right fit for me
8y9evura

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
aronsrb said:
The viking just happened to be the right fit for me
And that is what it all boils down to right there. Really, there is not one brand that is "better" then the other. It is all in the user's heart.
Would love to here about any adventures you take with your Viking. We welcome all riders to share as they wish.

Thanks for joining the community.
C-ya on the trail!

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!