500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Rebranded Yamaha, but I heard they are going to put a diesel in it soon. I really like their skid loader Diesel engines and would be something for farmers to consider. I wonder what the odds of Yamaha getting the diesel for their line?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
They will give a few away....
Probably have a sport model before Honda

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rebranded Yamaha, but I heard they are going to put a diesel in it soon. I really like their skid loader Diesel engines and would be something for farmers to consider. I wonder what the odds of Yamaha getting the diesel for their line?
If Yamaha was smart, they made that part of the deal. A Yanmar diesel in the Viking would be a good move for them.....but I think they need to work on the chassis a bit to make it more of a workhorse to take advantage of an engine like that. It still lags the other utility machines in capacity (at least according to specs). I've owned a few Yamahas over the years and love my local dealer, but the Viking didn't do it for my application. I really wanted it to at the time.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Viking needs more motor.. end of story.

Yeah....I'm a big fan of thumper motors, but these things are a bit big for one. For a gas engine, they've got a perfect motor already.....that in-line triple. Tune it for torque and drop it in. I have a bike with a triple and it's an amazing engine. Beautiful power delivery and smooth. That and the diesel would be quite the offering. They have a parallel twin in their stable too......the Honda engine is awesome, as I'm sure you guys would agree. They've got options....it's strange that they would stay with that single as long as they have.

J

JTW

Yeah....I'm a big fan of thumper motors, but these things are a bit big for one. For a gas engine, they've got a perfect motor already.....that in-line triple. Tune it for torque and drop it in. I have a bike with a triple and it's an amazing engine. Beautiful power delivery and smooth. That and the diesel would be quite the offering. They have a parallel twin in their stable too......the Honda engine is awesome, as I'm sure you guys would agree. They've got options....it's strange that they would stay with that single as long as they have.
I agree.. I just don't know why they'd double the size of their machine and not upgrade the motor. I looked hard are the wolverine but after riding with a friend that has a Viking 3 seater, I realized they needed more for what I wanted.

Reactions: ripHST
Hotwlz

Hotwlz

Feb 19, 2017
Houston, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you get a chance look at the Bobcat UTV I saw one yesterday and it was popo but they have a diesel option as well as a bunch of other stuff. But I assure you it's still a popo.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I have a Yanmar LX 490 with 49 hp diesel. Great engine. I saw this Utv at the Yanmar display at the farm show and laughed. Just buy a Viking if you want one.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!