P1000 Yes - another skid plate question - factory alum. option

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK guys - So I don't want to drop $600 on a skid plate right now so I'm looking at other options. The factory Honda alum plate doesn't look bad for $300 and covers the drivetrain as well as any of them ( so appears in pics ) just not the floor board areas. There is also a 3/8" UH%^ plate on Ebay that cover the same area as the factory for slightly less that $300. I ride moderate trails at best as we have a small child on-board most of the time - not trying do any crazy stuff at this point. Yeah I know you want to protect everything in a perfect world but to to be honest I'm happy to just roll the dice and cover the drivetrain at this point. Does anyone have any feedback on the two options I listed..

Reactions: Ridem32
J

JTW

I'd go with aluminum over 3/8 UHMW... by weight it takes twice the thickness of UHMW to equal the strength of aluminum. And our S & S skids were $750 for full skids AND arm guards. I'd call and get a price from them on just the skids if you haven't already.

J

Jshell3

OK guys - So I don't want to drop $600 on a skid plate right now so I'm looking at other options. The factory Honda alum plate doesn't look bad for $300 and covers the drivetrain as well as any of them ( so appears in pics ) just not the floor board areas. There is also a 3/8" UH%^ plate on Ebay that cover the same area as the factory for slightly less that $300. I ride moderate trails at best as we have a small child on-board most of the time - not trying do any crazy stuff at this point. Yeah I know you want to protect everything in a perfect world but to to be honest I'm happy to just roll the dice and cover the drivetrain at this point. Does anyone have any feedback on the two options I listed..
I did something quite opposite of your discussion but I think the result will be similar.
I had a P500 that (I felt) had adequate factory skid protection in the center, but left the floorboards exposed to any limbs I ran over. And I ran over several. (2x ripped a cv boot).
So I bought ricochet rock sliders and A arm guards. Spent about $600 total.

A couple months later I found myself digging broken limbs out of the middle section of factory UHMW... wishing I would have bought 100% under protection.

I went back to Ricochet for the final piece, but the total pkg discount I could have gotten was gone because of tacking the second order on a full month or so after the first. And then I would pay shipping again... dang.

So my advice, and what I'll be doing this go around w my new P1k5... buy the entire skid / a arm guard in one fell swoop.
I should easily save $200 and do the belly work 1 time, to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe one of these skid plate companies will sell you pieces instead of the whole package.

For example, you could get just the center pieces from trail armor and later get the wings if you want to.

Reactions: swsebek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe one of these skid plate companies will sell you pieces instead of the whole package.

For example, you could get just the center pieces from trail armor and later get the wings if you want to.

Prob not because of the way you can fit them on a single 5x10 sheet and you would have partials in inventory.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd go with aluminum over 3/8 UHMW... by weight it takes twice the thickness of UHMW to equal the strength of aluminum. And our S & S skids were $750 for full skids AND arm guards. I'd call and get a price from them on just the skids if you haven't already.

I'd go with UHMW, for the same weight you get a material that is more puncture resistant, slides easier over obstacles and doesnt take a shape or dent on impact. UHMW also offers reduced noise over gravel and obstacles.

There are probably 10 threads related to skid plate choices already posted, it may be worth a read. The biggest downside of the Honda skid plate is the lack of under foot protection for the driver and passenger

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get it full is better but some is better than nothing. Looking at the factory plate it pretty much covers the entire frame rail to frame rail area. From a value proposition
2017 honda edition 5
it seems like pretty good bang for the buck at $300 delivered. Hell I can fab up my own floor board skids later if I want. Plus I like the fact I don't have to drill new un-coated holes in my frame that will eventually rust.

Reactions: swsebek
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In fact paying an add'l $300 to cover the two floor board areas seems a a bit out of line since they don't require hardly any machining to make - ie lack of access holes etc..

Reactions: swsebek and Ridem32
advertisement
J

JTW

I get it full is better but some is better than nothing. Looking at the factory plate it pretty much covers the entire frame rail to frame rail area. From a value propositionView attachment 37366 it seems like pretty good bang for the buck at $300 delivered. Hell I can fab up my own floor board skids later if I want. Plus I like the fact I don't have to drill new un-coated holes in my frame that will eventually rust.
Go for it then... And the advantage of the Honda style is you can add these later.

2-Piece Rock Slider & Floor Board Skid Plate Set, Honda Pioneer 1000

J

JTW

Those are pretty cool,. I hadn't seen them before. I think the constant pinging of rocks off that leading aluminum edge would get old
I lined the top of my aluminum skids with dynamat. It's no louder than when it was stock under there.

J

Jshell3

I liked the Ricochet rock sliders on the P500. I think the A arm guards (from them) left a little to be desired.

But I would definitely suggest doing the whole belly all at once if it's in the cards. Esp if you get some type of total pkg discount.

Reactions: JTW
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
anybody have any input on the CAST designs skidplate on Ebay for $300?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!