P1000 Yet Another Pioneer 1000 Dual Battery Install - video

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question,

Now that I have my second battery installed and I did not use a Stinger, my fuse box is always hot. Whatever I install from there will have it's own switch to power off. I want to install a voltage meter for both of my batteries, but I am not sure the best way to hook them up so they are not constantly on. The pos wires from the meter will go to the pos terminal of each battery, can I connect a switch to the grounds so that I can turn them off? Can both voltage meter grounds be attached to the same switch?

IMG 8545

Reactions: Lady01
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Question,

Now that I have my second battery installed and I did not use a Stinger, my fuse box is always hot. Whatever I install from there will have it's own switch to power off. I want to install a voltage meter for both of my batteries, but I am not sure the best way to hook them up so they are not constantly on. The pos wires from the meter will go to the pos terminal of each battery, can I connect a switch to the grounds so that I can turn them off? Can both voltage meter grounds be attached to the same switch?

View attachment 255103
Did you buy the isolator kit with the dual voltage meter? If you did, it came with a relay that does what you're talking about.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No sir, my Isolator kit was not the one which included the volt meter.
You can put your ground to the volt meter on a switch. I run mine that way for 6 months before I figured out my kit came with that relay. Lol or just wire up a relay that gives you key on ground to the volt meter.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update -
took her ice fishing, -5*F.

Dead Stinger....

Onto the next Solenoid.

That's discouraging. We don't get those temps in Tennessee much, but still...

I think at the very least I am going to make up some kind of bypass doohicky to keep on board.

Last edited:
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
C

CPcdxx

Mar 27, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep. I should have thought about that before buying the stinger... but everyone here was recommending it and I just jumped on board.
Likewise, nothing on Stinger's website mentions operating temps..
live and learn, but good info for anyone building out a system.

If it gets cold, avoid the Stinger.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Likewise, nothing on Stinger's website mentions operating temps..
live and learn, but good info for anyone building out a system.

If it gets cold, avoid the Stinger.

I think I am just going to replace mine with the marine duty one posted above. We hunt Wyoming and I just don't want the aggravation over a stupid $40 part. I'll be at least $25K deep in this machine before it's over so $40 is pretty inconsequential. Any bypass contraption I come up with is going to take longer than just swapping it out at this point.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can put your ground to the volt meter on a switch. I run mine that way for 6 months before I figured out my kit came with that relay. Lol or just wire up a relay that gives you key on ground to the volt meter.
Thank you very much for the information. So I will hook up the pos from both batteries to their volt meters, then both grounds from the volt meters will join together on a switch, next to the volt meter to turn on and off both with one flip of the switch. Sounds good to me, thanks!!

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ditched the relay for the voltmeter.

Ran ground to the gound terminal of course, jumped the accesory terminal that powers the the stinger coil to MAIN, jump from any circuit that the stinger energizes to AUX.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ditched the relay for the voltmeter.

Ran ground to the gound terminal of course, jumped the accesory terminal that powers the the stinger coil to MAIN, jump from any circuit that the stinger energizes to AUX.
My only problem is that I do not have a Stinger, I chose to go with a fuse box that is powered key off and I need to switch anything I power from it. So that was my worry, my voltmeters would be hot all the time unless I switch them. So if I run pos from each battery to a switch, out to a voltmeter would work just fine. But I thought about pos from batteries to volt meters, then use the ground to turn on / off. Thanks for your reply, I need you guys to tell me what works well with my always hot fuse box. 👍

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My only problem is that I do not have a Stinger, I chose to go with a fuse box that is powered key off and I need to switch anything I power from it. So that was my worry, my voltmeters would be hot all the time unless I switch them. So if I run pos from each battery to a switch, out to a voltmeter would work just fine. But I thought about pos from batteries to volt meters, then use the ground to turn on / off. Thanks for your reply, I need you guys to tell me what works well with my always hot fuse box. 👍

In that case yes, I think you'll need to wire a relay which will need to energize off of an accessory circuit. The relay breaks the ground leg to the voltmeter. It's easy enough to do, I just felt the one included with my battery isolator package was an unnecessarily heavy duty part to add to the system solely for powering a low amp draw accessory like a voltmeter. Of course you can run a manual switch as you guys said.

FWIW I am adding a master switch to power the aux fusebox key-off if I want to because I see some advantages to that.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stinger relay already sticking/failing. 65 degree weather today, what a worthless pile of crap. Sticks open, sticks closed, it's garbage.

I just ordered the Cole Hersee marine grade constant duty model another member suggested.

Last edited:
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have a link for an appropriate diode for the accessory wire. Looking to feed the relay with key off but not backpower the accessory circuit? I saw a link about a week ago but didn't bookmark it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!