P1000 Yeti /Orca/rotomold cooler mounting solution

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So a while back I had asked the group what they were doing to mount their fancy ass coolers in the back of the Pioneer 1000. I came up with a few good responses, but in the end I ended up going with a solution that I hadn't seen in full on the formum so I wanted to share.

IMG 20191025 140048 exported 133 1572137599081
IMG 20191025 140042
IMG 20191025 140034
IMG 20191025 140055

You can see the mounting location I've chosen eats up a lot of the back of the bed, but it allows me to get into the cooler without dropping the tailgate if I really want to, and the truth is I don't really carry much in the bed when riding anyway. I have enough storage in the footwells and up front that it's not a big deal.

Easily accessible from the back was a main priority for me.

I used these tie down points: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DX1X548?tag=sxsweb24-20

And placed them in the bed slot seen below-

IMG 20191025 140135
IMG 20191025 140142

I did have to go out to Menards and get longer bolts as the factory would not reach down to the nut. I apologize: I did not keep the spec on the bolts, but it's easy enough if you take the bolt with you to match the thread pattern and just go a little longer.

For an anchor I used these:

https://www.menards.com/main/hardwa...15866-c-9710.htm?tid=39875371316446034&ipos=6

Really cheap at just a little over a buck a piece, but realistically the turnbuckle you need is going to depend on the size of cooler that you use. Same with a mounting location for the tie down points. I saw a lot of guys using a hook and loop system, but after a day of riding everything was still tight for me with the two hooks. I'm not sure what the advantage to the hook and loop version is.

The real new piece here is what I use to connect the cooler to the turnbuckle. I saw several people used the stainless steel lock straps that go through the cooler tie down points. Because we ride fairly hard, I was concerned about that set up jostling around and putting a hole in my new stupid expensive cooler. I went to custom tie downs . com and got a pair of these:

CustomTieDowns.com - 1 Inch Loop Straps

8 inch with a half twist- fit perfect through the tie-down point and added just enough space to hook in my turnbuckle. You can order just about whatever color you want. Took about a week to get them to me. I'd do business with them again.

First ride with it was last weekend at Perry State Park. Everything stayed super tight and in place. Overall I'm really happy with the setup, less than 20 total in it.

The cooler is an Orca 26, comparable size to the Yeti 35. And the mat in the back of my bed is just quarter inch horse stall mat from Rural King. Cheap pick up at about 20 bucks and it does the trick. Cutting slits for the tie down points has been helpful in keeping it in place, and it's heavy enough that it's not going to blow out with the wind anyway.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should have shown you how all my stuff is mounted in my bed.
I use webbing hold downs bolted into the bed, and use endless loop ratchet straps to hold everything in place.

Reactions: Cal and dnjones161
JSDAVIS

JSDAVIS

Sep 12, 2020
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So a while back I had asked the group what they were doing to mount their fancy ass coolers in the back of the Pioneer 1000. I came up with a few good responses, but in the end I ended up going with a solution that I hadn't seen in full on the formum so I wanted to share.

View attachment 163127 View attachment 163120 View attachment 163121 View attachment 163122

You can see the mounting location I've chosen eats up a lot of the back of the bed, but it allows me to get into the cooler without dropping the tailgate if I really want to, and the truth is I don't really carry much in the bed when riding anyway. I have enough storage in the footwells and up front that it's not a big deal.

Easily accessible from the back was a main priority for me.

I used these tie down points: Amazon.com: Audew Cargo Tie-Down Anchors,8PCS 2" Diameter Black Steel V-Ring Bolton Trailer Anchor, Replacement for D-Ring Plastic Flush Mount Pan Fitting Tie Down for Trailers, Trucks and Warehouses: Automotive

And placed them in the bed slot seen below-

View attachment 163125 View attachment 163126

I did have to go out to Menards and get longer bolts as the factory would not reach down to the nut. I apologize: I did not keep the spec on the bolts, but it's easy enough if you take the bolt with you to match the thread pattern and just go a little longer.

For an anchor I used these:

https://www.menards.com/main/hardwa...15866-c-9710.htm?tid=39875371316446034&ipos=6

Really cheap at just a little over a buck a piece, but realistically the turnbuckle you need is going to depend on the size of cooler that you use. Same with a mounting location for the tie down points. I saw a lot of guys using a hook and loop system, but after a day of riding everything was still tight for me with the two hooks. I'm not sure what the advantage to the hook and loop version is.

The real new piece here is what I use to connect the cooler to the turnbuckle. I saw several people used the stainless steel lock straps that go through the cooler tie down points. Because we ride fairly hard, I was concerned about that set up jostling around and putting a hole in my new stupid expensive cooler. I went to custom tie downs . com and got a pair of these:

CustomTieDowns.com - 1 Inch Loop Straps

8 inch with a half twist- fit perfect through the tie-down point and added just enough space to hook in my turnbuckle. You can order just about whatever color you want. Took about a week to get them to me. I'd do business with them again.

First ride with it was last weekend at Perry State Park. Everything stayed super tight and in place. Overall I'm really happy with the setup, less than 20 total in it.

The cooler is an Orca 26, comparable size to the Yeti 35. And the mat in the back of my bed is just quarter inch horse stall mat from Rural King. Cheap pick up at about 20 bucks and it does the trick. Cutting slits for the tie down points has been helpful in keeping it in place, and it's heavy enough that it's not going to blow out with the wind anyway.
Thanks a bunch for the links!! Momma Bear bought me an 8 pack for CHRISTmas. They are perfect for what i wanted.
I’ll post a few pics as well...
2CFB2658 33FE 49C6 8C0C 39C339207290
D20048B7 6282 4EBC 9820 E8F0366C2333
46A451DD A153 4CC0 A968 1E408760A3F6
A2AF73D8 AFE4 4A38 AA7C DED611D0BA48

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!