P500 center of gravity?

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Good link. I guess there's nothing one can do to compensate that??? The P5 hasn't much hp to spare.
A turbo will help but they generally don't have the boost like a supercharged aircraft engine where you can pull 60" of manifold pressure. There is another calculator for turbo's and there is a loss its just not as great and its based on the amount of boost the turbo is capable of and said use 2.3% per 1000 feet instead of 3 %. The honest best solution would be a supercharger but then that opens another big can of worms. So I think we will have to settle for our little clock springs.

I am quite fascinated with the tiny turbo set ups they have on Ebay.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
A turbo will help but they generally don't have the boost like a supercharged aircraft engine where you can pull 60" of manifold pressure. There is another calculator for turbo's and there is a loss its just not as great and its based on the amount of boost the turbo is capable of and said use 2.3% per 1000 feet instead of 3 %. The honest best solution would be a supercharger but then that opens another big can of worms. So I think we will have to settle for our little clock springs.

I am quite fascinated with the tiny turbo set ups they have on Ebay.
I think if I lived at this elevation (I'm riding at 8-10k when here in NM) I'd be interested in that. But generally I'm riding in elevations below 1k. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Respectfully Monte I have to disagree with your assertion that the P5 is tippy, (compared to what)? Now that I've driven mine 3200 Kms in a variety of terrain from desert to swamp and snow here in Western Canada this is what I've come up with. What I can say is it may "feel tippy" I've actually stopped when it feels nasty and tried to pull it over.... Nope, now it might slide a little down slope but it so far has not flopped over. I would say 5-2 rims and I'm running 26 by 11 by 12 tires on all corners might help a little, but you are higher too. When I'm next out I'll use my iPhone level and slope clinometer to see how steep side slope I can go with out flopping it over.

As noted in other post on here, I find as I can't see the wheels on the P5 it feels awful at times, compare to my Honda Rubi ATV. Compare to ATV you can't really apply any body English in a meaningful way and not seeing if the wheels are touching (or lifting off) makes it feel tippy. Have even opened the door on the high side and hung out for a little counter balance, (really not sure this does anything, but makes me feel better). Had my son stand with door open on high side and lean out to counter. We stopped at that point to see if we could pull it over... Nope, it did slide downslope a little, only because we where pulling on the ROPS though I think.

Again next time out I'll take some measurements best I can and a pix or two.

jrc
Interested in your incline meter tip point! So many variables on the trail, but just curious.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
There is so much that enters into the center of gravity, tire weight, amount of fuel in the tank, size and weight of riders, loading on the back rack, winch mount location, accessories and anything else that is different from stock will change the moment the little girl tips. Heck if your better half has 46 EE's that will change it over a pair of 32 A's. Then the speed at which you hit a small bump can change that drastically. Probably best we just get a good feel for it and hope she keep the roof where it belongs. But if all else fails the first guy ( or lady) that tips can buy drinks. That is the thing with P5 owners. We love living on the edge of the center of gravity.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Interested in your incline meter tip point! So many variables on the trail, but just curious.
Forgot to do this as I've been concentrating on hunting Mule and white tail deer. I'll try to remember, and yes there are many variables, my worst fear is backing up with just me on the low side on steep side hill and hitting a rock/root on highside rear wheel.. heh heh. Was in a sand/gravel wash out side hill draw last week, driving in was nasty, coming back out was frightening for sure, lucky I was on the high side coming out and it was just me. Nearly wet myself fer nuthin! muhahaha..

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Forgot to do this as I've been concentrating on hunting Mule and white tail deer. I'll try to remember, and yes there are many variables, my worst fear is backing up with just me on the low side on steep side hill and hitting a rock/root on highside rear wheel.. heh heh. Was in a sand/gravel wash out side hill draw last week, driving in was nasty, coming back out was frightening for sure, lucky I was on the high side coming out and it was just me. Nearly wet myself fer nuthin! muhahaha..
Hunt mule deer??? Down here you can just walk right up to one and cap him. I routinely ride up to within 20 feet of these guys on the sxs, stop and kill the motor and we stare at each other til they scamper off when I get tired and start the sxs again. Lol

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Hunt mule deer??? Down here you can just walk right up to one and cap him. I routinely ride up to within 20 feet of these guys on the sxs, stop and kill the motor and we stare at each other til they scamper off when I get tired and start the sxs again. Lol

Need to ship some up Monte.... predation from primarily wolves and ingress of white tails has put significant pressure on the Mule deer populations here the last few years. I'd say we are at the low of the curve for their populations now. Govt has missed the boat hard.... in my view, finally have placed a no bag limit on wolves, which is late to the table should have been 5 years ago. When I once would see hundreds of Mule deer to now a handful in late winter range areas is shocking.

I've noticed with my P5 the noise to speed ratio (and Honda Rubi), game will generally not move too far, (or I'll catch them unaware), compared to say a truck, save for last two seasons due to heavy predation they are gone instantly and or are really nervous.

j

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Need to ship some up Monte.... predation from primarily wolves and ingress of white tails has put significant pressure on the Mule deer populations here the last few years. I'd say we are at the low of the curve for their populations now. Govt has missed the boat hard.... in my view, finally have placed a no bag limit on wolves, which is late to the table should have been 5 years ago. When I once would see hundreds of Mule deer to now a handful in late winter range areas is shocking.

I've noticed with my P5 the noise to speed ratio (and Honda Rubi), game will generally not move too far, (or I'll catch them unaware), compared to say a truck, save for last two seasons due to heavy predation they are gone instantly and or are really nervous.

j
Oh ok, I just assumed they were the same everywhere. I hope your government gets it together on that.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I have found that Mule deer in heavy human interface areas are more likely to stand still if in my SxS, on foot they will move off slowly. In these same areas due to high human contact, wolf predation (due to no wolves), is low so deer are more likely to hang around. Where as 60 miles away, up at the family farm property due to high wolf predation, one look and the Mule deer are gone instantly, they are very wary indeed. Least I think that's what's going on.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
The DOW turned some wolves loose northwest of Paonia here in western Colorado about 10 years ago. Of course they denied it even after we saw the pups and sheep started to disappear. After I showed them a picture I took of one of them it was "oh yea we turned a few loose". Doesn't help the mule deer population at all.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The DOW turned some wolves loose northwest of Paonia here in western Colorado about 10 years ago. Of course they denied it even after we saw the pups and sheep started to disappear. After I showed them a picture I took of one of them it was "oh yea we turned a few loose". Doesn't help the mule deer population at all.
Just drove through that town yesterday, very beautiful area. The drive through the Black Canyon, OMG!!!!!

Last edited:
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I still don't blame nature forces for low deer population, on the place I hunt elk, there was a group of guys from Utah, they shot 5 deer and 2 elk, so when I met neighbor landowner complain Inc about mountain lion killing deer I don't blame any wolf of lion for population decrease, except human most evil nature predator :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Well I still don't blame nature forces for low deer population, on the place I hunt elk, there was a group of guys from Utah, they shot 5 deer and 2 elk, so when I met neighbor landowner complain Inc about mountain lion killing deer I don't blame any wolf of lion for population decrease, except human most evil nature predator :)

Normally I wouldn't either but when they have stopped spring bear hunts and protect other predators we definitely see a decrease. We have to draw for deer but elk are over the counter. When I was still helping a guy control bears we whacked way more than I want to admit to one summer that were eating meadow maggots (sheep) and a government hunter did about 100 that same summer. This was all in a fairly limited area. But then they were releasing trapped bears from the rich ski folk areas (yes they feed them) into this area so many of them had ear tags and no real natural fear of humans. We didn't run cattle so I cannot speak of their problems.
Humans are pretty bad and we have contributed greatly to interfering with the natural order of things in the woods. Me I just whack last years female calf elk and am happy. I get about 150# of very good meat and leave the horns and big boys to the guys that want wall hangers.

Reactions: chrisC
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

One less Doe in TN, jumped out of woods and head on with my street motorcycle. Bike totaled, and me almost, took the insurance money and got a P500 and happy again! LOL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!