futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Got the stock A-arms removed.
Ready for what-the-heckever I'm gonna put back!

Pic of the suspect upper A-arm. Figure the angle is too much...
20230905 190236

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
"Are you sure that arm is bent?
You might have another look at the upper rear suspension mount on the frame."

Thought it was , I guess I need another one removed to directly compare. Or maybe use some sort of angle finder on this one and then on one on my 520.

That upper rear A-arm mount is certainly bent; it had the arm pinched so that it was a bit difficult to get it out.

What would I do about that?

Man, this is frustrating for a non-mechanic. I appreciate the help!!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That upper rear A-arm mount is certainly bent; it had the arm pinched so that it was a bit difficult to get it out.

What would I do about that?

Man, this is frustrating for a non-mechanic. I appreciate the help!!
A big hammer!!!! You're over thinking this, it's just metal. Use the other side as a guide, measure, smack! & repeat until you get the mount back where it should be.

A small bend at the mount will get amplified at the end of the A arm due to the distance.

advertisement
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Also, after removing the lower arm, I could not re-thread the castle nut onto the ball joint stud; it spins.
No biggy, the threads can get a little phuckered up from the castle nut, a thread file or knife file will work to clean the threads, I've also had to use a C clamp or vise grips to "press" the ball joint back into the taper on the A arm to help hold it so you can get the nut back on & tight.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Also, after removing the lower arm, I could not re-thread the castle nut onto the ball joint stud; it spins.
Seat the ball joint stud - whack it with a rubber mallet.
The tapered stud should hold the nut torque once it is set.

On the upper arm frame mount, check the pipe the tab is welded to.
That pipe might have been known to bend in towards the center of the vehicle on the early models (15 & 16).
The rear mount (of the two upper front mount tabs) will move in.
The '18s should be not quite so prone to do this, but there is always that one guy...

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm also having a tough time knowing if a ball joint is good or not. A few of them move rather freely/easily; one was leaking grease.
Moving freely is OK but if it has "play"....... if you can feel slop like it's loose in the seat then it's bad. I don't think they're all that expensive so if in doubt just replace them

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Simple Method to check <> for Bent A-Arm

Carefully make accurate Cardboard "Template" <> of the suspected bent area <> on the bench of the one you have off <> for comparison.
A Lot Less Work / Easier / Quicker

When you ride Hard.
It's All Part of the Fun you Will have.
Like the 60's Snowmobiles
Ride & Fix.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!