Ugghhh...broken skid plates bolts. Help!!!

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Small amount of buyers regret. Everything on this bike seems to be more of a project than expected. But I'm in it now and I'm going to correct the previous owners sins. I'm going to "Make this Pioneer Great Again!" Haha

Tonight I was dropping the stock skids for cleaning and ease of servicing. During this time, 6 out of my 21 skid plate bolts gave up the ghost during removal. Truth be told 2 of them were from the previous owner.

Vise grips do not appear to be an option. There's just not enough to grab. I've had miserable luck with easy outs in the past.

Does anyone here have good method for removal? Something besides drilling out and retapping.

103b4c9486c5c4c6700f8122373397ec

09fcb924bd62900bc545d78e7820d7cd

Reactions: Biteme
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Clean the area and spray down with penetrating oil tap around the areas with a hammer after it sits for a bit to break loose and try to turn outward by applying pressure against bolt directly while turning back and forth...then repeat if not successful. Good luck

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
I do not have a welder. I tried welding once with a 110 on my Suzuki Samurai. Bird $h!t welds come to mind. I gave up on welding lol

Mind giving me a low interest loan for $4k. I'll buy your bike!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Use a sharp punch and a hammer . Knock a dent in the top and T A P it to the left after you have sprayed wd40 on and around it and let it set for a while . Dont get anxious or in a hurry just steady tap tap tap tap tap .....................................it will work .
Grandpa taught me .

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
The only problem I see is how small these darn bolts are. They're only M6. I would think it would be tough to weld up a nut. Now I'm thinking of drilling out and using Rivnuts.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The only problem I see is how small these darn bolts are. They're only M6. I would think it would be tough to weld up a nut. Now I'm thinking of drilling out and using Rivnuts.

@JCart can tell you all about using Rivnuts/Nutcerts for the skids.

Last edited:
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could try using a bolt extractor kit from Lowes or Home Depot. Just a thought.

Reactions: Biteme and scottn57
H

highpocks

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2016
prescott mi
Ownership

1. 500
Small amount of buyers regret. Everything on this bike seems to be more of a project than expected. But I'm in it now and I'm going to correct the previous owners sins. I'm going to "Make this Pioneer Great Again!" Haha

Tonight I was dropping the stock skids for cleaning and ease of servicing. During this time, 6 out of my 21 skid plate bolts gave up the ghost during removal. Truth be told 2 of them were from the previous owner.

Vise grips do not appear to be an option. There's just not enough to grab. I've had miserable luck with easy outs in the past.

Does anyone here have good method for removal? Something besides drilling out and retapping.

View attachment 26016

View attachment 26017
like they say spray it down let it soak then you can drill it out with a left hand drill bit. if that dont work use nut incert.

Reactions: Biteme and sharp
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Does anyone have a left hand drill bit set they recommend?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!