P500 1" Wheel Spacer Stability

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a P500 with 26" Bighorn 2's on stock rims. I traverse some hills that I would prefer a little more side to side stability, ie if it rolls, it will be a while before it stops. ;) But, the only time I have teetered it was when the rear tire went into a hole on a trail while K turning. I don't have 50" trail restrictions or trailer via Pick-up. It does sound like I would want to add some fender flares to handle the occasional mud/water spray. Am I missing anything? Anyone do this exact conversion and provide comments? Any value to just adding to the rears? All thoughts appreciated.

Here are the one inch spacers that I was looking at:
Wheel Spacer for Big Red/Pioneer 4/110 (1 Inch) 1 Pair

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a P500 with 26" Bighorn 2's on stock rims. I traverse some hills that I would prefer a little more side to side stability, ie if it rolls, it will be a while before it stops. ;) But, the only time I have teetered it was when the rear tire went into a hole on a trail while K turning. I don't have 50" trail restrictions or trailer via Pick-up. It does sound like I would want to add some fender flares to handle the occasional mud/water spray. Am I missing anything? Anyone do this exact conversion and provide comments? Any value to just adding to the rears? All thoughts appreciated.

Here are the one inch spacers that I was looking at:
Wheel Spacer for Big Red/Pioneer 4/110 (1 Inch) 1 Pair
I have that exact set up. 26" BH 2.0's on factory wheels. 9's in front and 11's on rear. Added those same spacers from Super ATV, 1" on all four corners. I think it has way more stability and didn't want to go any wider for strain on the wheel bearings. I don't get into the offset fronts and rears, I think the rear tires should follow the same tracks as the front. I use mine for plowing as well and just makes sense to me. I haven't put flares on mine and don't really notice that much more mud being slung up the sides. This conversation of taller tires and center of gravity has been had over and over on this forum and I've said from the start that with this machine, if you go up you must go out. Check out my before and after pics on the thread "Worried about Flopping". Good luck Fuzzy and be safe.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have that exact set up. 26" BH 2.0's on factory wheels. 9's in front and 11's on rear. Added those same spacers from Super ATV, 1" on all four corners. I think it has way more stability and didn't want to go any wider for strain on the wheel bearings. I don't get into the offset fronts and rears, I think the rear tires should follow the same tracks as the front. I use mine for plowing as well and just makes sense to me. I haven't put flares on mine and don't really notice that much more mud being slung up the sides. This conversation of taller tires and center of gravity has been had over and over on this forum and I've said from the start that with this machine, if you go up you must go out. Check out my before and after pics on the thread "Worried about Flopping". Good luck Fuzzy and be safe.

Yep, same tires. I have been very happy with the ride and ability to go through ditches, etc. The wife and I ride a combo of dirt roads (<30mph) and farmland permissions (<10mph) (1500+ acres w/about 600' of elevation change) around once a week on average.

Like you, don't want to go more than the 1".

I think I will call SuperATV and see if they are in stock tomorrow.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
They were back ordered on the 1.5", so I went with some 2" from elsewhere (Ebay). I really do not understand why people talk about wheel bearing stresses or failures, I have not read of any issues with these buggies like we do many other brands.

I have 8" wide tires and am 54" wide now, the spindles are castings and I expect the bearings to be fine until they get mud and water in em.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
They were back ordered on the 1.5", so I went with some 2" from elsewhere (Ebay). I really do not understand why people talk about wheel bearing stresses or failures, I have not read of any issues with these buggies like we do many other brands.

I have 8" wide tires and am 54" wide now, the spindles are castings and I expect the bearings to be fine until they get mud and water in em.
I haven't heard of any issues either but after putting on the 1" spacers it was enough for me. I was just trying to get back to factory spec or a little better maybe. Want to keep her skinny for those tight spots.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
They said they had 27 pairs in stock. Ordered two pairs online and shipping label has been created. SA said it shipped at 4PM so should see it hit the tracking tomorrow. I should be able to install them next week after the holiday.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
They said they had 27 pairs in stock. Ordered two pairs online and shipping label has been created. SA said it shipped at 4PM so should see it hit the tracking tomorrow. I should be able to install them next week after the holiday.
Did you go with the 1" or...? I read where other guys were complaining about the lugs coming loose behind the wheel.
I put a couple of drops of red thread locker on mine and haven't had that problem.
Let us know what you think about them after install.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Did you go with the 1" or...? I read where other guys were complaining about the lugs coming loose behind the wheel.
I put a couple of drops of red thread locker on mine and haven't had that problem.
Let us know what you think about them after install.

The 1", which should be equivalent to running offset wheels. The 1.5" is still out of stock. I will use at least the blue Loctite.

Reactions: trigger
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Not sure about the 500, but the P1k has spherical lug nuts and the spacers I got are conical.
If nuts don't match, the spacer they will loosen.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

An engineer would be able to explain the dynamics of the stress spacers add to the ride. Honda doesn't recommend them, but they don't recommend larger than 26" tires either, or any of @jak9922 modifications either, lol.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
the farther away the tire is away from the bearing the more pressure on it (leverage) puts more stress on upper and lower ball joints

Reactions: Montecresto
S

Sledge

the farther away the tire is away from the bearing the more pressure on it (leverage) puts more stress on upper and lower ball joints
Does a 1" spacer put different forces on a bearing or ball joints than a 1" offset wheel?

I can't see why it would, and Honda dealers DO sell offset wheels as upgrades, don't they?

Confused Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Does a 1" spacer put different forces on a bearing or ball joints than a 1" offset wheel?

I can't see why it would, and Honda dealers DO sell offset wheels as upgrades, don't they?

Confused Joe
No, because the bolt up point is still the same as the OEM wheel. Honda doesn't sell spacers. ;)

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
It wouldn't matter if it was bolted, welded or cast into in a single piece. Leverage is function of the distance between the pivot point and where the force is applied.

I've heard of some dealer selling some aggressive add-ons or even selling some upgraded units that Honda Corp probably wouldn't approve of.

Reactions: Sledge and jak9922
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
It wouldn't matter if it was bolted, welded or cast into in a single piece. Leverage is function of the distance between the pivot point and where the force is applied.

I've heard of some dealer selling some aggressive add-ons or even selling some upgraded units that Honda Corp probably wouldn't approve of.
1000% correct

Reactions: Dp5hunter
S

Sledge

"It wouldn't matter if it was bolted, welded or cast into in a single piece. Leverage is function of the distance between the pivot point and where the force is applied."

My point exactly. I must not have expressed it well.

You sure did, though.

Thanks ghost.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

There you have it........that Honda wouldn't approve of!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!