• Thread starter Rackpioneer1000-5
  • Start date
H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would have to break out my engineering background to do a free body diagram to prove it, but it seems to me that tying the tires to the deck keeps the center of gravity at the trailer deck level, versus tying at a higher point on the UTV. I am thinking in terms of motorcycle riding - you stand up on the pegs to lower the c-o-g on rough terrain, versus keeping your butt on the seat. I can say with 100% certainty, that tying the wheels to the deck feels, on my setup, way more stable than when I used straps on other frame components and compressed the shock absorbers. With the tires secured, you can see the machine "float" on rough terrain, absorbing the bumps. When I tied to the frame, the trailer hopped on the bumps as the weigh of the machine went up and down...the shock absorbers on the UTV were unable to function as intended. To each, his own.

J

JTW

I would have to break out my engineering background to do a free body diagram to prove it, but it seems to me that tying the tires to the deck keeps the center of gravity at the trailer deck level, versus tying at a higher point on the UTV. I am thinking in terms of motorcycle riding - you stand up on the pegs to lower the c-o-g on rough terrain, versus keeping your butt on the seat. I can say with 100% certainty, that tying the wheels to the deck feels, on my setup, way more stable than when I used straps on other frame components and compressed the shock absorbers. With the tires secured, you can see the machine "float" on rough terrain, absorbing the bumps. When I tied to the frame, the trailer hopped on the bumps as the weigh of the machine went up and down...the shock absorbers on the UTV were unable to function as intended. To each, his own.
I see your point.. I wonder how a looped strap on both ends with shackles to the trailer and machine would serve. Not so tight that it won't allow the machine to float a little but enough to keep it in place and secured by more than just hooks so they can't come loose.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I'm with @ohanacreek on this one. I like my pioneer and trailer to move as one, I just think for myself it feels secure while ripping down the road. @Hucker how did you attach your e trac to the trailer deck?

Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'd like to know, the answer to those equations. However, ou can control your body position to an extent. Pioneer is dead weight.

Reactions: MNnice
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hook a rachet strap to the hole in the bottom of each arm crossed to opposite side of the trailer. I don't like compressing suspension, straps can brake if hitting a large bump causing slack buy spring compressing, then extending back out. The next time you see a semi hauling cars, look what they do. They strap tires, and axles, JMHO

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
See. Clearly says 3/8... but 3/8ths, what??

View attachment 39902

Stupid Amazon.
3/8" dia. Chain on a 3/8" dia pin. You could get away with 1/4" chain even at the lowest grade chain. Even though grade 30 isnt rated for transport.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@allgm1 - I used stainless hardware every 4" along the length. It is very secure. When I ratchet the strap, you can see the tire compress until the deck starts to deflect. That is my visual cue that it is tight. I estimate I have approximately 2,000 highway miles and a couple hundred dirt-road miles of towing the Pioneer this way. I have not seen much roll of the machine when I make turns. Again, I think the machine's shock absorbers compensate during turns, versus having a strap pull up on the trailer deck. I do use one motorcycle-type ratchet strap (that loops around the tube, and hooks on itself) on one of the front a-arms to pull the machine tight into the front wheel stops I welded for the front. Just those three attachment points.

S

scottf

Jan 30, 2017
Meridian, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had Fastraps on a previous trailer and towed 10's of thousands of miles with no issue so that is what I went with on my flatbed project. Really works well to have the tires secured and the suspended part suspended, especially on rough roads.

33339035583 11b668fb42 hUntitled by scottf, on Flickr

34150353895 42b6fa1828 hUntitled by scottf, on Flickr

34019658561 a425fb9fcc hUntitled by scottf, on Flickr

Reactions: Eltobgi and Jshell3
Toyhauler33

Toyhauler33

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
Mid Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the problem with compressing the suspension?

I have snapped the 1" ratchet straps by compressing the rear on my p1k5 and bent the safety chain loops on the rear hitch by using the 2" ratchet straps on bumpy roads. I vote bonnets and e-track

Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have snapped the 1" ratchet straps by compressing the rear on my p1k5 and bent the safety chain loops on the rear hitch by using the 2" ratchet straps on bumpy roads. I vote bonnets and e-track

I have 2" 4000lb load with 11,000 break straps and I tie around the ROPS like in the manual. Most of the 1" straps are 500lb load 1200lb break straps and no where near enough for a 2000lb vehicle.

What I should have asked is...

Is there any possible way of damaging the suspension by compressing it? Is that everyone's fear or is it like you said the suspension compresses and comes loose. The straps on those bonnets are way stronger than a 1" strap.

Most Etrack I've seen doesn't have the load capacity of a decent d-ring.

Obviously not all the way to the bump stops but compressed enough it would take a severe bump to loosen the straps.

Reactions: JTW
RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You won't damage the suspension. On mine I suck down the front with one strap and roll the pioneer back to soak up any play and two straps backwards, compressing the rear suspension. This keeps tension on the straps at all times. I got about 3-5 inches.
I've traveled 6 hours to and from in a icey snow storm like that.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

J

JCutah

Apr 20, 2017
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figure my first post should look intelligent. I have used these on my atv, now pioneer (flash) and my brother in law works for coke and they use these to hold the vending machines down while traveling.

This exact strap works for the method Honda expects us to tie it down. Never had issues with the strap coming undone. And I have yet to break one. Been on nasty Utah and Montana roads and tested these.

7′ Ratchet Strap (Quantity 1)

Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've compressed the suspension on my bikes for years while trailering and have yet to have an issue with seals or anything. I wouldn't recommend compressing it to the stop or leaving it compressed for long periods of time (days, as opposed to hours), but I doubt it's an issue. As you say, Honda recommends it. One thing to keep in mind though is that by compressing the suspension when you tie down, you're also relying on the suspension to keep the straps taught. Unless you've got something to capture the hooks so they don't fall off, you could come unhooked as the suspension compresses further. I've had bikes lose a strap before and suspected this was the cause. I don't do that anymore if I can avoid it.
I bought my P1000-5 last summer and immediately took it on a 1000 mile trip. I tied it down per Honda advice to the ROPS and had this exact issue of tie downs coming unhooked. Had to make lots of stops to check everything. Even when there wasn't a problem, I imagined there was and had to check everything out. Then this past January, I saw a demo of these straps at the the Dallas Safari Club Convention. I picked up four. I've only used them for some relatively short tows but they seem to work as advertised. The urethane link acts as a shock absorber if the suspension "rocks". So far, I'm a real believer in them. Pricey but gives me a real peace of mind.
Ratchet Straps | Tie Downs Straps

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my P1000-5 last summer and immediately took it on a 1000 mile trip. I tied it down per Honda advice to the ROPS and had this exact issue of tie downs coming unhooked. Had to make lots of stops to check everything. Even when there wasn't a problem, I imagined there was and had to check everything out. Then this past January, I saw a demo of these straps at the the Dallas Safari Club Convention. I picked up four. I've only used them for some relatively short tows but they seem to work as advertised. The urethane link acts as a shock absorber if the suspension "rocks". So far, I'm a real believer in them. Pricey but gives me a real peace of mind.

I use shock straps on mine too. They work great

Reactions: Muleyhunter
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When using these shock straps how do you know if it is tight enough or too tight to keep them working? Watching that video it appears if you tighten it tight you would pull the "give" out of the spring action?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When using these shock straps how do you know if it is tight enough or too tight to keep them working? Watching that video it appears if you tighten it tight you would pull the "give" out of the spring action?

The poly block in the middle of the strap stretches 1-1.5" and the machine will feel stable. The instructions make it clear how to do it but just using them a few times you get a feel for it. I use regular ratchet straps on the front and these on the back

Reactions: O2bsmitty
Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ditto what @ToddACimer said. Plus on the urethane link is a visual "spring" molded into the urethane. It gives you a nice visual of how tight it is. At the demo that I saw, the owner of the company told me a good rule of thumb is when you can easily slip your hand between the urethane link and the safety strap, just slightly rubbing. But like Todd said, you quickly get a feel for it. The safety strap is in case the urethane link was to ever snap. The owner told me that he's only had one returned that was snapped. It had been stored outside in the sun, possibly a pickup bed and must have deteriorated.

Reactions: O2bsmitty
ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is how I do mine...

E-track on trailer, tie at least 2 tires to the trailer, and let the suspension work the way it is intended. Rock solid on Highway and off road. Easy on and off.

The e-track can be purchased at most hardware type stores (Tractor Supply, Cal Ranch, etc). It is relatively inexpensive, but strong. It lays flat on the trailer deck without being in the way when the trailer is needed for plywood/drywall/et al.

View attachment 39847 View attachment 39850
I use this as well. I've traveled hundreds of miles this way and haven't moved an inch. Best I've ever found.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5

These look interesting. I may have to give them a try sometime.

I posted earlier in this thread that I use the Erikson wheel bonnets. I still do and still love them. I've modified my method a bit in that I also throw a strap through the clevis I keep in my hitch or through the roll bar to stabilize the sprung mass. I've never felt anything from the truck while I was towing, but seeing it sway was distracting.

The only downside to the Erikson set up is having the cleat sitting so proud of the trailer deck. In the beginning, while still getting used to the engagement of the clutch, it could actually be a little challenging getting over it without wondering if you're going to launch into the back of the truck. But I'm used to it now and I like that it's quite a bit more substantial than the track system.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!