P1000 2018 Deluxe First time overheating

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Leesville, South Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have read a few different threads about this overheating issue. Ill lay out my short story.

Never had an issue until Saturday morning. in Low range in Manual shift. for about 15mins going around 5-10mph, I don't usually do manual shifting but I was wanting to play around. Next thing I know bam overtemp lights comes on. So I pulled to a safe spot off the trail. Let it cool down then opened the rad cap. And went to crank it up and rocket ship of water came shooting out. ( Air bubble?) I have never touched the cooling system on this thing. Well once I added some bottle water from the cooler and drove the rest of the day and the night 8hrs of riding in High(sportmode) with no issues.

1- The fan only comes on when the engine is running. My fathers 700 fan will runn with just the key on, when its hot and we stop and leaves the key on so the fan can run.
2- How does a huge air bubble like that get in the system when it was never opened?
3- I know most of the threads say high or low range doesnt matter but for me it was in low range which I never use really.
4- I don't have access to a winch so I can burp it like you normally would a truck correct? Radiator cap off let it run till thermostat opens add coolant.
5- I will stop by the dealership and ask about this ecu software update or was that for only the 2019?
6- I will be bypassing the ecu and just wire the fan up to acc so it will run any time the switch is on.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1- Correct...No need to cool radiator when water pump isn't circulating coolant.
2- Air bubble was likely in system since new because of improper fill procedure.
3- Low range = more RPM for any given speed so less airflow making an already stressed cooling system (because of water pump cavitation in air pocket) overheat.
4- You cannot burp these machines like a truck. The engine is higher than the hoses running under the seat to the radiator, trapping air in the engine. Either use the burp screw on the thermostat housing, or lift the front end and run it a while.
5- I think ecu update was only for '19 models.
6- I advise against switch on/fan running wiring. Your charging system will have a hard time keeping your battery at full charge and this machine needs full voltage to function properly.

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
ECU update is for 17-18 model years. Someone on FB (take that for what it's worth) said that they had it done on their 19 as well. I was under the impression that the 2019's already had the updated firmware?

Reactions: BigOL3
Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
1- Correct...No need to cool radiator when water pump isn't circulating coolant.
2- Air bubble was likely in system since new because of improper fill procedure.
3- Low range = more RPM for any given speed so less airflow making an already stressed cooling system (because of water pump cavitation in air pocket) overheat.
4- You cannot burp these machines like a truck. The engine is higher than the hoses running under the seat to the radiator, trapping air in the engine. Either use the burp screw on the thermostat housing, or lift the front end and run it a while.
5- I think ecu update was only for '19 models.
6- I advise against switch on/fan running wiring. Your charging system will have a hard time keeping your battery at full charge and this machine needs full voltage to function properly.
I dont have a winch so I'll have to try the the screw on the thermostat housing. Thanks for the information

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
ECU update is for 17-18 model years. Someone on FB (take that for what it's worth) said that they had it done on their 19 as well. I was under the impression that the 2019's already had the updated firmware?
I will check with my dealership after work. Now what is that reflash supposed to do in terms of the fan running off and on again?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I too think it is air locked/bubble in the system. Also, I would visit with the dealer as well. However, I suspect strongly it can be fixed easily by pulling it up on some car ramps, open the cap and adjust the radiator fluid.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I will check with my dealership after work. Now what is that reflash supposed to do in terms of the fan running off and on again?
If you have a 17/18 model I recommend this. Those that have done it said it helped. What does it do? Supposed to help regulate the fan but others said it changed the way it drove too.

If you go do this. I want to know if you felt it shifted differently (better) after you had it done. Honda claims its only a fan programming update. I think its more.

You may have to educate your dealer. Have them check January 2019 Honda tech notices.

And with it bubbling up, you now have air in the system. You need to burp it correctly.

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you have a 17/18 model I recommend this. Those that have done it said it helped. What does it do? Supposed to help regulate the fan but others said it changed the way it drove too.

If you go do this. I want to know if you felt it shifted differently (better) after you had it done. Honda claims its only a fan programming update. I think its more.

You may have to educate your dealer. Have them check January 2019 Honda tech notices.

And with it bubbling up, you now have air in the system. You need to burp it correctly.

Is there a way for us to check these tech notices? Just incase they wish to act ignorant about this. They are closed today but I will call their Service dept tomorrow first thing when they open to inquire.

I have some truck ramps and some blocks i think I can get it pretty high up. how long should it take before all the air is out?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is there a way for us to check these tech notices? Just incase they wish to act ignorant about this. They are closed today but I will call their Service dept tomorrow first thing when they open to inquire.

I have some truck ramps and some blocks i think I can get it pretty high up. how long should it take before all the air is out?
Be sure to top off radiator and fill reservoir to "full" level before starting. Without a winch or chain hoist, you may be better off burping it per instructions in the manual using the purge screw. If you do go the route of lifting the front...get it to operating temp BEFORE lifting. Then lift front end to 45 degree angle or more (it has to be pretty high... air pockets will NOT travel downward) and let it idle for 30 seconds. You don't want to run it at this angle too long because the oil pickup may not be submerged. Turn if off while still elevated and allow to cool before opening radiator so it can draw coolant from the reservoir. Then check reservoir level while on level ground. If there was air in the system, your reservoir level will be lower.

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Be sure to top off radiator and fill reservoir to "full" level before starting. Without a winch or chain hoist, you may be better off burping it per instructions in the manual using the purge screw. If you do go the route of lifting the front...get it to operating temp BEFORE lifting. Then lift front end to 45 degree angle or more (it has to be pretty high... air pockets will NOT travel downward) and let it idle for 30 seconds. You don't want to run it at this angle too long because the oil pickup may not be submerged. Turn if off while still elevated and allow to cool before opening radiator so it can draw coolant from the reservoir. Then check reservoir level while on level ground. If there was air in the system, your reservoir level will be lower.

I will get my book out tonight when I get home from work and read up on what it says. Thanks for the advice.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!