elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
BUMMER.
Hopefully that will fix it and you can be on the road again soon.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Quick update , Dropped it off at dealership Thursday morning , got a call Friday saying they looked at it and they said before they went to deep into it the pulled the battery and ran some tests on it and determined the battery was toast and before they went any further they wanted to get a new one in there and go from there. Bad news for me is since this is warranty work they have to order the Honda battery from Honda which takes 7 days to get there...he claims. the last time I ordered a Honda part from there I was told 5-7 days and it was 13.
I would tell them this is unacceptable. And tell them I expect better. That's alot of pressure on someone when you tell them that.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What kind of dealer is this that don't keep factory battery's on the shelf? Tell them to pull one from one on the floor for testing your buggy with until yours comes in.
Not sure if rules in the UTV world are the same as automobiles, but that kind of action (pulling a part from a new vehicle to fix another, even if it will be replaced with a new factory part, or even just for testing) is illegal on autos.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure if rules in the UTV world are the same as automobiles, but that kind of action (pulling a part from a new vehicle to fix another, even if it will be replaced with a new factory part, or even just for testing) is illegal on autos.

Interesting... Through work I know a guy that has a fleet of Ford Explorers that he uses as taxis. Most of them had the electronic throttle bodies fail on them once they got over 100k miles. He went to the dealership he buys all of his vehicles from and they told him the throttle bodies were back ordered. When he threatened to take all of his future business elsewhere unless they got his vehicles back on the road ASAP, they started pulling throttle bodies off of brand new Explorers for him.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Interesting... Through work I know a guy that has a fleet of Ford Explorers that he uses as taxis. Most of them had the electronic throttle bodies fail on them once they got over 100k miles. He went to the dealership he buys all of his vehicles from and they told him the throttle bodies were back ordered. When he threatened to take all of his future business elsewhere unless they got his vehicles back on the road ASAP, they started pulling throttle bodies off of brand new Explorers for him.
I imagine that type of thing happens often. Dealer just better not get caught. I know I'd be pissed if I found out my brand new $50,000.00 car was molested by a junior mechanic before it had 10 miles on it.

Reactions: dilligaff82
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A lopsided bumper and a hole in the seat are the least of your worries with this machine my friend. Lots of quality issues. You WILL need to correct your front end wheel alignment or you'll be replacing tires every 100 miles, tighten every screw, nut, bolt and wiring ground you can find, absolutely verify that all your air intake tubes are connected, tightened and leak-proof (after I got my tubes all to spec I verified no air intake leaks by choking the engine to stall at the underhood intake.) I've owned my machine for 19 months and I still don't have a machine that I can rely on. I'ts been a massive money pit for me so far. I hope you got a good one. Many people on this site have had better luck than me.

I and many other will completely disagree. I have 1200 miles without a hint of trouble. I read this forum before even buying and spent hours after buying. Just like any large purchase, gotta do some research. I ride through the rivers, up and down WV mountains, load the bed with cargo and deer. Sucks at your experience, but I for one would buy 2 tomorrow without a hint of worry.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I and many other will completely disagree. I have 1200 miles without a hint of trouble. I read this forum before even buying and spent hours after buying. Just like any large purchase, gotta do some research. I ride through the rivers, up and down WV mountains, load the bed with cargo and deer. Sucks at your experience, but I for one would buy 2 tomorrow without a hint of worry.
And that's what frustrates me to no end. Many owners (like yourself) have had perfect service out of their machines and others (like me) have had countless problems. I literally can't remember all the work I've had to do on mine. You could point to any part or system on the machine and I've likely had a problem with it. NONE of it was covered under my "bumper-to-bumper", $640.00 4 year Honda warranty. (surprise surprise)

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And that's what frustrates me to no end. Many owners (like yourself) have had perfect service out of their machines and others (like me) have had countless problems. I literally can't remember all the work I've had to do on mine. You could point to any part or system on the machine and I've likely had a problem with it. NONE of it was covered under my "bumper-to-bumper", $640.00 4 year Honda warranty. (surprise surprise)

Do a complete tightening of all the grounds you can find on the motor, under seat area, both sides, and push every electric plug on till it is fully on. I spent 2 hours. Could not believe what I found. Loose battery connections, one plug hanging off, and almost every ground wire loose. Don't just wiggle. Put a ratchet on every bolt. I have had no issues since I did this.

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Contacted Dealer today to let them know i still wanted them to do my 20 hour service , They said they didnt feel it was needed because it only has 18 hours on it , told them i plan on putting the 2 hours on it in their parking before i go home to make sure it runs right lol. After reminding them i live 60 miles away they finally said they would. then quoted me $485 for the first Service! surprise to me! i asked them how and why they didnt have any batteries in stock so they could at least throw one in it to make sure the battery was the issue and its not something else. He stated that once the new battery gets there if the battery isnt the issue they could have it for another week!

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Contacted Dealer today to let them know i still wanted them to do my 20 hour service , They said they didnt feel it was needed because it only has 18 hours on it , told them i plan on putting the 2 hours on it in their parking before i go home to make sure it runs right lol. After reminding them i live 60 miles away they finally said they would. then quoted me $485 for the first Service! surprise to me! i asked them how and why they didnt have any batteries in stock so they could at least throw one in it to make sure the battery was the issue and its not something else. He stated that once the new battery gets there if the battery isnt the issue they could have it for another week!
Good Lawd! And I dunno... I'm with Eltogbi on this one. I too would think it's a grounding or other intermittent electrical issue. I have never seen a battery work sometimes and then sometimes not work and then start working again. I've seen "broken" batteries have low voltage and old worn out batteries have good voltage but low or no amperage available, but either one of these conditions would result in the machine not cranking...ever...period. Sounds like they are throwing parts at it until something works. Just be glad Honda is footing the bill for this one!

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do a complete tightening of all the grounds you can find on the motor, under seat area, both sides, and push every electric plug on till it is fully on. I spent 2 hours. Could not believe what I found. Loose battery connections, one plug hanging off, and almost every ground wire loose. Don't just wiggle. Put a ratchet on every bolt. I have had no issues since I did this.
Great advice! I did do a lot of tightening of bolts all over the machine after I noticed different parts ready to fall off but I never checked all my harness plugs or grounds thoroughly. Thx!

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good Lawd! And I dunno... I'm with Eltogbi on this one. I too would think it's a grounding or other intermittent electrical issue. I have never seen a battery work sometimes and then sometimes not work and then start working again. I've seen "broken" batteries have low voltage and old worn out batteries have good voltage but low or no amperage available, but either one of these conditions would result in the machine not cranking...ever...period. Sounds like they are throwing parts at it until something works. Just be glad Honda is footing the bill for this one!

Exactly! i have had to remind them everytime i have called, that the battery might be shot but if you jump it and get it started it dies when it shifts from first to second(the intial problem). and they just confirmed that the battery from honda wont be in until next tuesday 3/27 when it was ordered on 3/16. Looking like 2 weeks just for them to switch a battery.

Reactions: 0860silverado
I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly! i have had to remind them everytime i have called, that the battery might be shot but if you jump it and get it started it dies when it shifts from first to second(the intial problem). and they just confirmed that the battery from honda wont be in until next tuesday 3/27 when it was ordered on 3/16. Looking like 2 weeks just for them to switch a battery.

Sorry to hear, not sure why they don’t just put another battery on it to confirm that is the problem and if it’s not then they can start troubleshooting to find the issue that way when the battery does arrive they might have it fixed.

The $485 sounds really high for initial service, think mine was $189 and done the same day.

Also been mentioned already earlier but check air intake connections, mine were loose and I would extend the vent lines as a precaution even if you don’t ride water or mud.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ugh...frustrating. I wonder if they realize that a bad ground or other electrical issue will cause a battery to not charge? Keep us posted and good luck!

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Quick update , Dropped it off at dealership Thursday morning , got a call Friday saying they looked at it and they said before they went to deep into it the pulled the battery and ran some tests on it and determined the battery was toast and before they went any further they wanted to get a new one in there and go from there. Bad news for me is since this is warranty work they have to order the Honda battery from Honda which takes 7 days to get there...he claims. the last time I ordered a Honda part from there I was told 5-7 days and it was 13.

I work at a tiny dealership, and we stock pretty much all the OEM Honda batteries. Maybe your dealer only stocks Interstate's or another aftermarket brand. Also, Interstate warehouses batteries for Honda, so the same truck that stocks a dealership's Interstate batteries also delivers the OEM Honda batteries.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’d consider hooking up a mini jumper box to the battery and taking it for a quick spin, throw it in the glove box when done. May need a battery, however I’d think something else caused it if so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I work at a tiny dealership, and we stock pretty much all the OEM Honda batteries. Maybe your dealer only stocks Interstate's or another aftermarket brand. Also, Interstate warehouses batteries for Honda, so the same truck that stocks a dealership's Interstate batteries also delivers the OEM Honda batteries.

You'd think but No! I offered to buy an aftermarket battery and they said they had none in stock. Even offered to go buy one and drop one off and they had a problem with it. Not that the weather is the greatest right now but out of the 4 weeks I've owned the machine is been at the dealership for 2 of them.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You'd think but No! I offered to buy an aftermarket battery and they said they had none in stock. Even offered to go buy one and drop one off and they had a problem with it. Not that the weather is the greatest right now but out of the 4 weeks I've owned the machine is been at the dealership for 2 of them.
I have a couple of Honda dealers pretty close to me but will drive the extra every time to get top notch service. It sucks that all dealers aren't on par with each other!!!!
If they are dragging their feet with a battery wouldn't dare have them do anything else! I'd also be that guy to call American Honda Corp and politely speak my mind.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!