P1000 2018 LIMITED LEFT ME STRANDED

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a couple of Honda dealers pretty close to me but will drive the extra every time to get top notch service. It sucks that all dealers aren't on par with each other!!!!
If they are dragging their feet with a battery wouldn't dare have them do anything else! I'd also be that guy to call American Honda Corp and politely speak my mind.

was just going to ask if anyone had any recommendations for who to talk to at honda about my issue. Dealer now says i could have a Clutch issue . CLUTCH ISSUE?? it has a babyed 18 hours lol , contacted the manager and told him i wanted them to buy back this one and get me one that has no issues. 2 out of the 4 weeks ive had it its been in the shop.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
was just going to ask if anyone had any recommendations for who to talk to at honda about my issue. Dealer now says i could have a Clutch issue . CLUTCH ISSUE?? it has a babyed 18 hours lol , contacted the manager and told him i wanted them to buy back this one and get me one that has no issues. 2 out of the 4 weeks ive had it its been in the shop.
If there was a problem with battery or electrical that can transform into a clutch issue. Running low power doesn’t allow for correct shifts. Seen it a few times with people after running factory winch down or two many accessories on main battery where voltage drops.
Like mentioned above get American Honda Corp involved on the line and don’t let off.

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got a hold of a Manager at the dealership today. He was disappointed to hear my story. He was also confused why service didnt have any batteries in stock or pull one off of a pioneer they had on the floor. Put me on hold for a couple min came back on and said we will have a battery in it and serviced and ready to pick up friday morning. now hoping that the battery is my issue that sounds great! fingers crossed!

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another update, got a call tonight from dealer. I was planning on picking pioneer up in the morning . they called and stated the battery wasn't the issue (i figured this) he stated they have checked all the grounds and connections and they were good. He said they are stumped .

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Another update, got a call tonight from dealer. I was planning on picking pioneer up in the morning . they called and stated the battery wasn't the issue (i figured this) he stated they have checked all the grounds and connections and they were good. He said they are stumped .
Ugh!!!... I would've hoped that by the time the '18 models came out that Honda would've made some quality improvements over the '16 models like my lemon! I'd bring it to another dealer or maybe even a private shop...even though it'll cost you. Or search this site with key words. This site has more info about fixing these things than any dealer shop. Great bunch of guys here.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Have the dealer try a known good computer if there is no codes. A new wiring harness may be next.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
The quality control on pretty much anything anymore is sad, actually pathetic in some cases.

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Picked up the pioneer saturday!!! Dealer forgot to check the ground on the driver side under front fender area? he said it was the most difficult to get to but stripped the plastics and found no bolt and the ground wire just dangling there. They said most likely it came from the factory not tightened and it finally fell off and s*** went haywire. So im glad its fixed but said the quality control on these units is s***. i thought by going with an 18 things would be alot better.

W

WildTurkey

Feb 8, 2018
Nantahala NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Picked up the pioneer saturday!!! Dealer forgot to check the ground on the driver side under front fender area? he said it was the most difficult to get to but stripped the plastics and found no bolt and the ground wire just dangling there. They said most likely it came from the factory not tightened and it finally fell off and s*** went haywire. So im glad its fixed but said the quality control on these units is s***. i thought by going with an 18 things would be alot better.

Sounds like it is time for a new dealer, the story kept changing over time, grounds okay, then grounds not connected at all!
Not sure about the 2018-5 but on my 2018-3 I can see and touch the wires under the drivers seat with the bed up.
If there is a common theme on this site other than early model clutch problems, it is check the grounds. Hard to believe the service department at your dealer wouldn't have that as their mantra as well!

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Thanks to the postings I read on here,I made sure I checked my grounds and hose clamps right after delivery. Mine were fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks to the postings I read on here,I made sure I checked my grounds and hose clamps right after delivery. Mine were fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to hear it. Good luck with your machine!

Reactions: CumminsPusher

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like it is time for a new dealer, the story kept changing over time, grounds okay, then grounds not connected at all!
Not sure about the 2018-5 but on my 2018-3 I can see and touch the wires under the drivers seat with the bed up.
If there is a common theme on this site other than early model clutch problems, it is check the grounds. Hard to believe the service department at your dealer wouldn't have that as their mantra as well!

I Agree with you 100%, i was told so many different things from them and when i started to call them out on it they didnt like that. unfortunately for me the next dealer is 3 hours away...but yes i thought all ground wires were under the seat and visible but according to them there is another one on the driver side somewhere under steering wheel that you cant get to without taking plastic off.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I Agree with you 100%, i was told so many different things from them and when i started to call them out on it they didnt like that. unfortunately for me the next dealer is 3 hours away...but yes i thought all ground wires were under the seat and visible but according to them there is another one on the driver side somewhere under steering wheel that you cant get to without taking plastic off.
Consider purchasing a service manual from Helminc. This will help you in the future.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!