BOX1

2020 Talon 1000r Hard to get into Low

T

Talon_2020

Sep 2, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have been having problems with my talon not wanting to go into low good, sometimes it will and other times it Won't I've tried adjusting the shift Cable and that helped some Was just gonna see if there is anything else I can try

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If there's any way you can warm it up before using Low, it'll work better. Mine has been hard to shift a couple of times but only when 'cold' - including an 80* day at the trail head. It also helps to shift firmly, don't p u s s y foot and having your foot off the brake helps sometimes. Shifting while barely moving might help the shift dogs line up. More details in the link in my sig line.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been having problems with my talon not wanting to go into low good, sometimes it will and other times it Won't I've tried adjusting the shift Cable and that helped some Was just gonna see if there is anything else I can try
There are a couple of peeps selling Talon shift gates. @PaulF is one of them. It seems the stock one prevents positive engagement.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
There are a couple of peeps selling Talon shift gates. @PaulF is one of them. It seems the stock one prevents positive engagement.
I can vouch for this, I had the dreaded low gear grind a couple times while at RRB in the Spring. Since installing the @PaulF shift gate I haven't had it since.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Pauls shift plate is the only one that holds it in low.

The rest of the aftermarket ones have too wide of a notch.

Mudd-man1000

Mudd-man1000

Aug 17, 2019
Morgan co
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon R
Get it fixed ASAP My low went out and have been waiting on parts since July . Honda loves to sell new units but don’t worry about having parts to warranty them with ! And no it’s not because of covid last winter it took 3 months to get an axel

TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Drain sub transmission and fill with light weight shock proof made by redline. Way better lubricant than engine oil . Change mine when new now have 2200 miles. Smooth shifting

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I like to use low to load it on my trailer. Like CID says use drive to get it rolling slightly then a quick shift into low works great for me. I don't like to force it into low. A better oil helps. I use the Honda 10w40 synethic blend with moly in both of my Talons. When in any gear always make sure the shift lever will wiggle back and forth verifying it is fully into gear. If the shift lever is loaded forward in the shift gate its not fully in gear. My 2019 Talon with over 15,000 miles shifts into low better then my 2020 Talon with around 2,600 miles.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
@highpocket74 sells one too. It's what I bought and seemed to fix my "getting into low" issues.

H

HondaTech

Get it fixed ASAP My low went out and have been waiting on parts since July . Honda loves to sell new units but don’t worry about having parts to warranty them with ! And no it’s not because of covid last winter it took 3 months to get an axel

The axle issue last winter was due to a new part number superseding the old. Covid has and will f*** stuff hp for awhile. If your dealer was good they could get that gear faster.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Paul could you link me as well? I’d like to see what it looks like and pricing/options.
Info, pics and pricing here...

PM me your paypal account email and I will get one to you ASAP.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Drain sub transmission and fill with light weight shock proof made by redline. Way better lubricant than engine oil . Change mine when new now have 2200 miles. Smooth shifting
This is no BS.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!