P700 30" tire question (2.0)

T

tatemcc

Feb 22, 2016
Southwest Mississippi
I just read a thread from last year about 30" tires with mixed opinions. i wanted to try to get a discussion up again to see if there has been any more experience (good or bad).

I am running 28" Zillas with a 3" High Lifter lift. i would love to go to 30's to help to not get high centered so often. we have a lot of deep holes and there is not tire size restriction at out camp ground so lots of folks have the RZR's and Mavericks jacked up running 30"+ and i get frustrated trying to follow them and constantly getting high centered.

by the way, our camp ground is a shallow sandy river with about 300 acres of mud trails which does consist of steep hills. we don't have the rocks to deal with in Southwest Mississippi but some of the roots that gets exposed on the hills are pretty rough.

i am not concerned with clearance, i feel like they will fit without any rubbing issues. i am concerned with being able to spin them in deep mud, lugging it down is a concern for me. the weight of the 30" zillas are 30x9x14=25.6 / 30x11x14=30.8. my thoughts are that maybe it would be ok since the tires are so light but not looking to make a $500 mistake if i could help it.

Also, from a power stand point i have not done anything to my bike (P700-4). will an aftermarket exhaust and/or gear reduction help? maybe an aftermarket air filter as well?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi Tate Welcome to the Forum

I want to watch this tread because I run in mud exclusively. I have 28.5" Swamp Lights. They don't rub. I think 30" on the back would be OK but the front would rub. Hopefully someone will have tried this and can speak with experience.

I've been watching for forward arched A-arms and so far no one sales them.

Reactions: tatemcc
F

fish

May 20, 2016
Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
Glad to see this thread but I don't have any in put at this time.
What I'm wondering is what size of tires and wheels can I upgrade to without any other changes.
Thanks in advance and I hope I'm not hijacking your thread.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you could run portal boxes for lower gearing you should have the power to spin them easily. I've been in situations with my P700 where it wouldn't spin the 28" EVOs. It was usually with multiple passengers in thick mud or going up steep hills.

That was all in low altitude as I live in Alabama. I also had a doebeck, KN, and opened up exhaust.

Sent from my iPad 7G

T

tatemcc

Feb 22, 2016
Southwest Mississippi
I am in low altitude as well, right east of you in MS

what is a portal box?
so I will benefit in power from installing an aftermarket exhaust? what brand/type?
I would have a power increase with an K&N filter?

how bout that for dumb questions hahaha!!! I am learning (please bare in mind the difference between being ignorant and being stupid)

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am in low altitude as well, right east of you in MS

what is a portal box?
so I will benefit in power from installing an aftermarket exhaust? what brand/type?
I would have a power increase with an K&N filter?

how bout that for dumb questions hahaha!!! I am learning (please bare in mind the difference between being ignorant and being stupid)
A portal box is basically a gear reducer that attaches to your hub and drops your wheel down (therefore lifting the vehicle).

Notice how high the axle is in relation to the center of the wheel

The downside is they cost $3-4000! But it would solve your problem

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Exhaust and filter will help some, but don't be expecting huge gains, as Joey mentioned.

I have a yoshimura exhaust and k&n filter and can notice an improvement. The Yosh is loud if that's a concern for you. HMF makes a quieter system that people seem to like.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sorry for the delay in my response. Work duties suck.....

Thank Tflynn for picking up my slack.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Reactions: Tflynn
T

tatemcc

Feb 22, 2016
Southwest Mississippi
how do the portal boxes hold up? we are somewhat rough on the bikes when we get in bad deep stuff. i would hate to tear up a $4000 box. would i likely break an axle before hurting anything in the box?

will another brand (maverick???) fit a P700? they don't list a portal for a Honda on superatv

Last edited:
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
how do the portal boxes hold up? we are somewhat rough on the bikes when we get in bad deep stuff. i would hate to tear up a $4000 box. would i likely break an axle before hurting anything in the box?

will another brand (maverick???) fit a P700? they don't list a portal for a Honda on superatv
I believe the cv joint would still be the weak link.

As for availability, that is still unknown. I received an email over a year ago saying they would be making them for the pioneer "soon". If it's something you're really interested in I would email superatv and inquire about them.

Here's a thread with the email-
New very cool part coming soon!

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
I just read a thread from last year about 30" tires with mixed opinions. i wanted to try to get a discussion up again to see if there has been any more experience (good or bad).

I am running 28" Zillas with a 3" High Lifter lift. i would love to go to 30's to help to not get high centered so often. we have a lot of deep holes and there is not tire size restriction at out camp ground so lots of folks have the RZR's and Mavericks jacked up running 30"+ and i get frustrated trying to follow them and constantly getting high centered.

by the way, our camp ground is a shallow sandy river with about 300 acres of mud trails which does consist of steep hills. we don't have the rocks to deal with in Southwest Mississippi but some of the roots that gets exposed on the hills are pretty rough.

i am not concerned with clearance, i feel like they will fit without any rubbing issues. i am concerned with being able to spin them in deep mud, lugging it down is a concern for me. the weight of the 30" zillas are 30x9x14=25.6 / 30x11x14=30.8. my thoughts are that maybe it would be ok since the tires are so light but not looking to make a $500 mistake if i could help it.

Also, from a power stand point i have not done anything to my bike (P700-4). will an aftermarket exhaust and/or gear reduction help? maybe an aftermarket air filter as well?
Hey i was also running 28 zillas on my p700 and have recently swapped to a 30 inch rocktane it pulls them fairly good its not gonna sling em but it will turn em but rocktane is not as aggressive as zillas but does weight more

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Hey i was also running 28 zillas on my p700 and have recently swapped to a 30 inch rocktane it pulls them fairly good its not gonna sling em but it will turn em but rocktane is not as aggressive as zillas but does weight more
And i also live in south Mississippi

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Hi Tate Welcome to the Forum

I want to watch this tread because I run in mud exclusively. I have 28.5" Swamp Lights. They don't rub. I think 30" on the back would be OK but the front would rub. Hopefully someone will have tried this and can speak with experience.

I've been watching for forward arched A-arms and so far no one sales them.
There is a guy in Louisiana that builds forward a arms for p700 he is also on honda sxs forum i have his name and number if u want it charges 1100 dollars for front and back

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes, I'd like his info please.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just talked to Paul. It turns out that he lives 45 minutes from me. I'm going to go look at his pioneer Friday. If it looks good I'm going to get him to do mine.

MOST INTERESTING ADDER !!!!!!!!
Paul has tried 34" tires. No surprise that the 700 struggles with them. He is working with a guy to do a gear reduction. He mentioned 40%. I got excited. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just talked to Paul. It turns out that he lives 45 minutes from me. I'm going to go look at his pioneer Friday. If it looks good I'm going to get him to do mine.

MOST INTERESTING ADDER !!!!!!!!
Paul has tried 34" tires. No surprise that the 700 struggles with them. He is working with a guy to do a gear reduction. He mentioned 40%. I got excited. I'll keep you posted.
There are pics of his rig on here, have you seen them? It is really cool!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm sure it's even more impressive in person but this is it-

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
That is impressive. What is his forum name?

That's going to make my machine look puny.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!