BOX1

P1000 300 Miles on 2020 Pioneer

F

FarmWeather

Dec 28, 2020
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First time to own a side by side. Grew up with Honda ATVs and they were bulletproof. When it came time to buy my own SxS, I narrowed things to the Honda Pioneer 1000 or CanAm Defender 1000. I was torn and my decision really came down to past brand experience. So far have been happy with my choice, but recognize the Defender is a very good machine as well. My hope is that long term Honda reliability wins out. The Defender seems to have the edge on power and bells and whistles, but I like the simplicity of the Pioneer and shaft drive.

2020 Honda Pioneer Deluxe 1000-5 EPS Phantom Camo
Tinted SuperATV Top
SuperATV Flip Up Windshiled
SuperATV Winch
Just ordered vent kit from Bayouownbeer

Have read comments online about heat issues, reverse too high geared, and low range not low enough. In the summer time when I bought it, it definitely gives off heat but it is not unbearable. I agree that the reverse and low range could stand to be lower, but so far hasn't been an issue for me. I haven't driven a Defender enough for a good comparison on low range power. Would like to hear comments from others about this.

The doors do rattle, but not a huge deal. If I wanted a full cab, I think Defender has the edge on that. Overall I think the Pioneer is probably the best all around machine for work and play and would likely buy one again. Has been duck hunting a few times already and serving me well. Very much enjoying being able to haul gear and kids easily.

Thanks for all the content on the forum.

FarmWeather in Mississippi Delta
IMG 1994

F

FarmWeather

Dec 28, 2020
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First time to own a side by side. Grew up with Honda ATVs and they were bulletproof. When it came time to buy my own SxS, I narrowed things to the Honda Pioneer 1000 or CanAm Defender 1000. I was torn and my decision really came down to past brand experience. So far have been happy with my choice, but recognize the Defender is a very good machine as well. My hope is that long term Honda reliability wins out. The Defender seems to have the edge on power and bells and whistles, but I like the simplicity of the Pioneer and shaft drive.

Tinted SuperATV Top
SuperATV Winch

Have read comments online about heat issues, reverse too high geared, and low range not low enough. In the summer time when I bought it, it definitely gives off heat but it is not unbearable. I agree that the reverse and low range could stand to be lower, but so far hasn't been an issue for me. I haven't driven a Defender enough for a good comparison on low range power. Would like to hear comments from others about this.

The doors do rattle, but not a huge deal. If I wanted a full cab, I think Defender has the edge on that. Overall I think the Pioneer is probably the best all around machine for work and play and would likely buy one again. Has been duck hunting a few times already and serving me well. Very much enjoying being able to haul gear and kids easily.

FarmWeather in Mississippi DeltaView attachment 245113
Any feedback others can give on Defender vs Pioneer torque, low range, pulling in tough situations etc. would be helpful. I farm and planned to pull a sprayer in the spring if it can hold up.

Reactions: Isaiah
Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Tinted SuperATV Top
SuperATV Winch

Welcome to the club from Tennessee! Nice machine you have there.

Reactions: Backwoods and EMAW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Tinted SuperATV Top
SuperATV Winch

WELCOME from NW Arkansas! Ride safe!

Reactions: JenElio and Isaiah
F

FarmWeather

Dec 28, 2020
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Tinted SuperATV Top
SuperATV Winch

Got the vent kit installed. What should I do next to ensure maximum longevity and usability?

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome Rebel from your neighbor to your west. I hope you enjoy your good looking machine.

#NTC

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!